Kim Swift = New Portal Character?

DelaZ

Spy
Reaction score
kim_swift.jpg

kim_swift2.jpg

Kim Swift was a developer from Narbacular Drop now working on Portal for Valve Software.

Source: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22206.html

She's a funky lookin' white chick, then. Either way, I don't think the two look alike. Not from those pictures, anyway.

Yeah, I haven't seen the videos.

I can't tell whether she's supposed to be bored or pissed or what. Interesting idea though - after all, wasn't the Lost Coast fisherman the only character modeled -without- real-world reference?

I dunno - could be another female model. They can get pretty good facial models with Source. The hair is dead-on, but the rest is off by a bit.

I'd rather see the hl2 female2.mdl face than this abomination.

Probably her. People are not white you know only if they are albino. Making an assumption Kim is part Latino and the character looks exactly the same too. How the hair parting down the middle, etc. If you were hired by Valve with your friends to make a game, would you make yourself the main character? It must be a dream come true to make a major game character in such a big franchise with her persona in the game. The people who do Kleiner, Barney, Alyx voices look like the characters in the game. Excelent find DelaZ! :imu: *More evidence to prove my point: http://www.pdsys.org/blog_images/hl2raisingthebar1223mt.jpg

Probably her. People are not white you know only if they are albino. Making an assumption Kim is part Latino and the character looks exactly the same too. How the hair parting down the middle, etc. If you were hired by Valve with your friends to make a game, would you make yourself the main character? It must be a dream come true to make a major game character in such a big franchise with her persona in the game. The people who do Kleiner, Barney, Alyx voices look like the characters in the game. Excelent find DelaZ! :imu: *More evidence to prove my point: http://www.pdsys.org/blog_images/hl2raisingthebar1223mt.jpg

Yes but these random people haven't worked on the game themselves. They were just selected to be face references.

We finally see Portal character, awesome! She looks sexy in that Guantanamo suit. :)
Now I just noticed, she is barefooted... It remind me question from aperturescience.com:
"Do you require socks to be part of your uniform?"

YouTube version:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyBN4lKTlYw[/YOUTUBE]

Kind of a hardware question, but is Portal DX8 friendly?

I wouldn't like seeing a pitch black image in the portals.

That would almost render the game impossible, too :(

I see no similarity between Kim and the Portal character.

Kind of a hardware question, but is Portal DX8 friendly?

I wouldn't like seeing a pitch black image in the portals.

That would almost render the game impossible, too :(

I think it's likely that the portals generate their surface texture the same way the video screens on the other HL2 games do - they have a camera somewhere, which renders what's infront of it and pastes that image onto the screen, or in this case, portal. So if you got a pitch black image on your various Breen-screens in HL2, you'll probably get the same on you portals.

I would have thought they were using something much more advanced than the normal RT cameras. And the portal drawing itself doesn't look like a decal.

But thanks anyway.

Portal looks like so much fun, i cant wait to start going crazy.

Yes but these random people haven't worked on the game themselves. They were just selected to be face references.

Stop slapping yourself in the face. :stare: The Alyx look-alike is her voice actor. And I can't really tell if the picture next to Barney portrays Mike Shapiro...

Nevermind :(

Although he said "as far as I know" and sended it through to Kim. So I'll keep you guys updated I guess. :|

Sent: Monday, July 16, 2007 0:21:49
To: "Delaz" <*******@hotmail.com>
Cc: "Kim Swift" <[email protected]>, "Erik Johnson" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: Portal & Insurgency

No, it isn't as far as I know.

Erik is a better person to ask for feedback as he has been compiling it
from various people.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2007 3:47 PM
To: Gabe Newell
Subject: Portal & Insurgency

Hey Gabe,

I was watching some footage from E3 on Gametrailers, when I noticed the
main character looked a lot like Kim Swift!
( http://users.pandora.be/desert/delaz/kim_swift.jpg )
Any chance you could confirm the model was based on Kim? Thanks! Can't wait to get my hands on that episode 2 box!

By the way, I'm a dev from the Insurgency team and I was wondering if
you tried out Insurgency? And if you did, what is your honest opinion about it. We know there is a lot of work to be done, but I just wanted to know your opinion about our mod!

Best Regards,

DelaZ

I got this strange theory in the shower (no fapping about Kim in the shower :rolleyes:). Could Alyx mom be the character? Eli said she died in the incident but they never truly explained how. We presumed Eli dead because he was another NPC but it turns out he came back. Could be her mom.

I got this strange theory in the shower (no fapping about Kim in the shower :rolleyes:). Could Alyx mom be the character? Eli said she died in the incident but they never truly explained how. We presumed Eli dead because he was another NPC but it turns out he came back. Could be her mom.

We've seen pictures. It's not her.

Eli said she died in the incident but they never truly explained how.
No, Eli never exactly said she died. Because Eli has no idea what happened to her, you see. The only person who knows what happened to Azian is Alyx, and she can't remember. Her memories from those days are blank.

But I do not believe it is Azian. I briefly thought of that idea myself, to be honest, but upon scrutinizing the picture it doesn't much look like the photo of her in Black Mesa East.

Van: Kim Swift <[email protected]>
Verzonden: maandag 16 juli 2007 18:21:33
Aan: "Gabe Newell" <[email protected]>, "Delaz"<*******@hotmail.com>
Cc: "Erik Johnson" <[email protected]>
Onderwerp: RE: Portal & Insurgency

Ha!

No, it most certainly is not me (thank the heavens!). Our model
reference is a woman named Alesia that we came in contact with through a local talent agency. If there is any resemblance my best guess is it's
probably because we both happen to be half-Japanese.

In any case, good luck with your mod!

-Kim
see above :)

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Doesn't look similar.

Also, everyone expects Eli to die, he's the popular consensus for all the "Who's going to die?" threads. If it is him, it'd be stupid for Valve to kill off Alyx's father only to introduce her mother.

Back