LAN transfer from Windows to Ubuntu

Ravioli

Microboner
Reaction score
I have a windows 7 computer and an Ubuntu computer. They are both hooked up to the same router and is on the same network. I need to figure out how i can send files from the Windows computer to the Ubuntu computer via LAN, because im transfering large files that would take ages over the internet.

MSN Messenger allowed this between 2 windows computers, but all the msn programs for Ubuntu doesnt seem to do this, as it transfers the files over the internet instead. I cant set up homegroups etc because its too buggy to use with ubuntu. Is there any software that would let me simply and easily share my files via LAN between these two computers? Im VERY new to ubuntu so i can not do any of that fancy terminal and command line stuff.

The reason it has to be over LAN is because my USB ports on the windows computer are ****ed beyond fixing, they are totally fried. I have no crossover cable either.

Can anyone help me with this?

I'm a newb when it comes to linux so I can't help you much but I believe you will need to have Samba installed. Then you should be able to connected to your windows PC just as you would with anyother windows computer: \\[computer name] or \\[computer ip]

If you have another windows machine you might want to first make sure network sharing is working with that before messing with the linux box.

No Limit is kind of right. Ubuntu comes with a pre-installed Samba client. You can access Windows (and other types) of shares via Places > Connect to Server. Select Windows and fill out your login information, etc. If you need to do the reverse, follow this guide (skip the Ubuntu One part):

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/internet/C/networking-shares.html

Recommended:
If you're just transferring files and you don't need to keep the shared folder... shared, you could just use an SFTP client on Windows such as FileZilla to connect to your Ubuntu machine. You'll probably need to install the openssh-server package and you'll be all set. Note that you never have to install an FTP server to transfer files. You'd only have to do this if you wanted to have public shares on the Internet and didn't want your users having normal accounts on the Linux machine.

You can install openssh-server via Synaptic or command line. Synaptic is pretty scary for novice users, so just open up a Terminal via Applications > Accessories > Terminal (iirc) and type sudo apt-get install openssh-server. You'll enter in your login password and just hit enter or Y when prompted.

Thanks for the help, but i couldnt get it to work as i wanted. I eventually just installed Viritualbox on the Ubuntu computer, installed Windows XP on it, and ran MSN Messenger from within, and i can now transfer the files via lan via msn via xp via viritualbox. Hell of a workaround but it works.

Back