Language barrier none

well, anyways, think about the World Cup of 2014 (@ Brazil, but the Combine would already had taken all the world, so, it doesn't matter anymore). The final match: The Overwatch of the Italic Peninsula vs. The C17 Metrocops... awwwww m8s... think about the crowd watching, the cheerleaders (in a World Cup!?)... Cool :naughty:
Stalkers would be the cheerleaders.

And Dr. Breen is the judge and the commentator? I doubt it. I highly doubt it.

I guess. Anyways, did anybody else also noticed sign Baltic Cafe in City 17 in the start of the game?

Yea and in Ep2 there's swedish writing on the gaspumps just before the Combine ambush :)

No because like half a km away from that there's billboards with Russian writing on them.
And the White Forest base itself is quite obviously in a post-Soviet country. The color scheme and the way the walls are painted are familiar to me, there's a bunch of huge red stars here and there, and there are direction signs with Russian words on them.
And besides, those gas pumps are the same model as in Highway 17.

Half Life games don't take place anywhere in particular.
That's why Valve scatters Swedish writing, Central European architecture, Eastern European architecture, Russian writing, Cafe Baltic, Russian cars, Ukrainian cars, etc. etc. They leave clues to a bunch of different places so we can't figure out where exactly it is, and I would not be surprised if Valve themselves don't know.

I wonder where Aperture Science is located. Judging from the nature seen at the end of the game im thinking about usa too but maybe on the northern side.

sdrastvuitse eta zivu b gorode p?lva

Naah i live in estonia i only study Russian in school.

I wonder where Aperture Science is located. Judging from the nature seen at the end of the game im thinking about usa too but maybe on the northern side.
Seeing as Aperture Science was competing for USDoD funding, probably the USA.

Yeah, it's 'hospital' in Russian. A lot of the writing in HL2 is Russian or Bulgarian.

[edit] The name of the mine at the start of Ep2 is 'ШАХТА ПOБEДЫ', which means 'pit of victory'. Underneath it says 'ИМ 50-ЛЕТИЯ' meaning '50th anniversary' or 'for 50 years'.

I wouldn't doubt that the USA, Western Europe, and Russia put up one hell of a fight against the Combine, and as rebels as well in the immediate aftermath. Nuclear explosives and what-not could've rendered those areas unsafe for 'population centers'. That leaves a belt for Eastern Europe, which probably surrendered pretty quickly (no offense) due to their small and outdated militaries. That gives them an advantage in the selection process for relocation of Dr. Breen and the Americans he would want to take along with him. Furthermore, there's a lot to do with soil types when thinking about the Antlions and how active they are.

It seems like the Antlions only come out during summer... during the winter they are in hibernation, as is alluded to in HL2. That means that Breen would like to place his capital more northerly. Furthermore, about the soil, I'm no geologist, but I've read that in World War I and World War II, the soil of Eastern Europe and European Russia was very muddy and hard to dig trenches in... that's why defenses were so difficult for the Russians in both world wars and warfare moved the line of hostilities back and forth, much more than on the Western Front where huge trench defenses could be built. Its possible that this kind of soil makes Eastern Europe very favorable towards humans... in many areas of North America, it could be that Antlions are active year-round, and are actually running around on the surface 24/7, unlike in HL2 and the Episodes where Antlions are really only found, during their most active season, either close to their nests or down at sandy beaches.

Dr. Breen pulls the Americans to Eastern Europe, and it might be that they only occupy the area around City 1 - 20s (as seen in the bus terminal in the beginning of HL2). This could be the 'American Zone'. Go far enough, to another 'habitable zone', there might be an additional set of Cities from 1 to 20 or whatever number, only all Russians, or Germans, or maybe even Chinese.

I also believe that Canada, Siberia, and the tropical regions of South America and Africa could be regions where large amounts of rebels live. So little infrastructure in these areas even today, and with so much overgrowth for humans to hide among, with the intense winters for the northern areas and thick foliage for the southern areas... it might be that the Xenian lifeforms, suited to probably a very temperate, constant climate in Xen and also lots of space, might not be able to compete with local ecosystems and human predators/hunters. However, being in places with little infrastructure and so far away from the Combine, weapons and modernity is probably hard to come by for the freedmen in these areas.

[edit] The name of the mine at the start of Ep2 is 'ШАХТА ПOБEДЫ', which means 'pit of victory'. Underneath it says 'ИМ 50-ЛЕТИЯ' meaning '50th anniversary' or 'for 50 years'.

Just got there in Episode 2 and took some screenshots to illustrate :p

http://users.telenet.be/kil911ler/HL%b2_Mine_1.jpg
http://users.telenet.be/kil911ler/HL%b2_Mine_2.jpg
http://users.telenet.be/kil911ler/HL%b2_Mine_3.jpg

Didn't pay attention for that 'ИМ 50-ЛЕТИЯ' though :(

Back