Language barrier none

G(ordon)-man

Reaction score
Something doesn't make any sense.This game takes place in eastern europe.But everybody speaks English?Translator in hev suit?But he can understand civilians before he puts it on.And Kleiner and Alyx and those guys can speak with rebels with ease,but they are american.Ok,maybe they learned language in 20 years but,it's still odd.

In the two past decades alot of things has changed. There are no longer countries and nations in the same way as before. The Combine relocate people to where ever they see it fit and so the world entire population is mixed up. Some of the characters still have funny accents though and many rebel models are asian or black. So it's just earthlings now, not Russians, Americans or Asians. They're all just humans :) And the main characters in HL are all connected to Black Mesa and North America so it's not surprising they all speak english.

All/most of the citizen in City 17 are Americans who have been relocated by the Combine.

Maby the US continent was completly destroyed by the combine during the 7 hr war

The Combine dropped a giant tennis court on the United States.

Maby the US continent was completly destroyed by the combine during the 7 hr war

Wouldn't be surprised if this was partly true. I mean, the resonance cascade took place in New Mexico and i'm sure that countries close to the RC had it worst when it comes to Portal storms. It's possible that the storms was so bad that they destroyed much of the continent and if the storms alone didn't do it then the Xenian wildlife pouring through made it pretty much uninhabitable. I wouldn't want headcrabs crawling up my ass all the time :) I'd move for sure.

what aboot Canada?

Did they hold their own with...:
canadian_navy.jpg

and...
CanadianAirForce.jpg

I'm sure they're fine. bppppthh, they're the first to die.

Next time you're in Breen's office take a peak at his globe.

I took a look at the globe, it's very low resolution, but I can make out Europe and Asia, which seem intact.

But I have no idea what's going on in the Americas, either too blurry or something really weird happened. No familiar shapes at all.

My first post oh man oh god oh man oh man

I turned my textures setting up from low to very high

Book design over pacific ocean
gm_construct0026.jpg

North and South America
gm_construct0027.jpg

Europe and Africa
gm_construct0028.jpg

Asia (I couldn't see Australia but I think maybe that's a tile missing)
gm_construct0029.jpg

Only odd thing I see is this dark splotch.
gm_construct0030.jpg

It looks like the tennis court/book thing is in the pacific ocean and there's some weird dark stuff in northwest russia. It kinda looks like there's a massive lake in the middle of finland as well.

Maybe it's not supposed to be a detailed map..

Holy shit, the Combine like football!

Everyone knows Europeans are better at football. That's where the Eastern Europeans went.

Or, that is an old-fashioned globe.
North America seems really wide, kinda like it looks on those really old explorer maps.

I doubt anyone would make earth globes after the Seven Hours War. So it must have been an older globe Breen took from a school or something.

Among my favourite concepts in science fiction.

Also one that I rarely see executed well. Half-Life has one of the best groups of npc's and minor characters, it actually feels like it's really a random bunch of people. Quite often games/movies try to do that, but instead get the stereotypical black guy, stereotypical British/Aussie guy, the stereotypical Russian guy, the stereotypical Hispanic guy, the stereotypical hot chick that everyone tries to hit on, and the stereotypical cigar-smoking dual-wielding-shotguns-from-the-hip Commanding Officer. (usually a Sergeant)

And stereotypical poor eastern european.Well,i live in Eastern europe(estonia) and we aren't so poor after all.

Dude high five, I'm half Latvian.
Although when i said "the stereotypical Russian guy" i kinda meant all eastern Europeans also. The cultures of all the peoples there are pretty similar. Well, not so much really the Baltic states, but all the Slavic dudes are the same imo.
My other half (the much bigger, prouder half) is Ukrainian, and I cheered like crazy for Russia during Euro 2008.

The Americas are gigantic, that's the thing I noticed. Surely that few meters loss of ocean we see on Highway 17 can't account for all of that?

And Norways huge too.

A Ukrainian? Living in Australia?
Haven't heard that one before, lulz.
But yeah, I really am a lot more attached to my Ukrainian side, the last time I've been to Latvia was 11 years ago. Last time I was in Ukraine? 2 months ago. (it was flocking aresum btw)

Anyway, is it just me, or have I taken this topic WAAAY off-topic and am looking at the shiny face of a banhammer?
Really, please do warn me, I'm still not sure how people treat random batshit on these forums.

Lol , Slav party! Im half Croatian half Serbian living in Bosnia. :D
Anyway,maby the explosion of black mesa destroyed the continent.It was full of radioactive shit.So maby North America got contaminated.

A Ukrainian? Living in Australia?
Haven't heard that one before, lulz.
But yeah, I really am a lot more attached to my Ukrainian side, the last time I've been to Latvia was 11 years ago. Last time I was in Ukraine? 2 months ago. (it was flocking aresum btw)

Anyway, is it just me, or have I taken this topic WAAAY off-topic and am looking at the shiny face of a banhammer?
Really, please do warn me, I'm still not sure how people treat random batshit on these forums.

It's a long story, haven't been home on a long stretch since i was 8 :(

ви розмовляти?

Lol , Slav party! Im half Croatian half Serbian living in Bosnia. :D
Anyway,maby the explosion of black mesa destroyed the continent.It was full of radioactive shit.So maby North America got contaminated.

LOL **** YES SLAV PARTY! :D

On-topic: portal storms swept through all of america?

Don't forget to reaload, because if you die, there won't be other finno-ugric dudes after you.

ви розмовляти?

hmm, that was a bit wrong grammar-wise, but i'm assuming you are asking me whether i speak it, in which case...
так, але я розмовляю краще російською мовою.

but yeah, to the topic, although the portal storms must have been pretty intense in North America, I don't think ALL of it got f'ed up. The big cities must have had it pretty tough, with all the skyscrapers probably collapsing, and the central regions had the worst portal storms, not to mention the radioactive Fallout (capitalized on purpose, heh) from Black Mesa nuking, but i'd expect places like Illinois and Maine probably got through alright (well, not alright obviously, but the point is they are still standing (imo))

Not everyone got moved around. In Ravenholm Father Grigory is Russian, I figure most of the people there must've been too, not including refugees from C17. Of course when they became zombies it didn't really matter anymore...

Here's the texture from the globe, actual size:
globebb2.png

And 4x larger:
globelargehi6.png

NA is one big, football court.

Oh hey thanks!

I was right, it is just a tile missing where Australia should be. (at least it looks like to me)

Looks like there was originally text written there.

Holy shit, the Combine like football!

Everyone knows Europeans are better at football. That's where the Eastern Europeans went.

errrm... *cof*Brazil*cof* :thumbs:

I'm proud in being Brazilian and for living there (here...)

well, anyways, think about the World Cup of 2014 (@ Brazil, but the Combine would already had taken all the world, so, it doesn't matter anymore). The final match: The Overwatch of the Italic Peninsula vs. The C17 Metrocops... awwwww m8s... think about the crowd watching, the cheerleaders (in a World Cup!?)... Cool :naughty:

Back