LCD Monitors

Zephos

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Aye, another thread about getting yer first LCD. Note that I've only got a budget of around $250 Australian dollars ( about $220US if this shitty converter is anything to go by) and it's an early Christmas present, so I probably don't have much room to maneuver with that budget, except maybe 20 bucks more.

So far I'm sticking with a 19" monitor and I'm not particularly interested in getting Widescreen (even though it seems the vast majority are WS) so after a bit of research I'm currently looking at either a Samsung 940N 19" 8ms LCD (Newegg Link) or a LG L1953S-SF 19" LCD (PC Shopper Link).

They are both the same price, but I've only been able to find reviews on the Samsung one (they have been positive, for the most part). However, the LG one has a response time of 5ms unlike the 8ms of the Samsung one, which I assume would make a bit of a difference for gaming. But again, to counter that, the LG one has no reviews, so I'm not sure how trustworthy it is.

Any help would be appreciated :)

You won't notice a difference in 3ms. I would recommend going widescreen, though. Gaming is much better in widescreen and most game companies support widescreen format now. Everything media related is going widescreen, might as well upgrade now.

You won't notice a difference in 3ms.

Am I the only one that does? :<

Onoz 333 posts, hope I don't find some book of the dead in a grandfather clock and have to play some shitty game...

I wouldn't get too attached to going by the rated response time. It used to be fairly common to find lower response time LCDs to have actually more blur on screen than one with a worse rating. They have got a lot better though so blur is less and easier to accept. Which means it's harder to find differences.

Well, I've never looked at a 5ms LCD, but I have looked at a generic Dell LCD rated at 14ms. Mine being 8ms, I couldn't spot a difference. Maybe you just have really good eyes.

[edit] >:0 Asus

Yeah I'm not too fussed about response time, but if I can get it lower for the same price, why does it matter :p Leaning towards LG at the moment, even if it I can't guarantee it's goodness with reviews.

In relation to Widescreen, the problem is that my computer can pretty much only run games at 1024*768, let alone anything higher. I should be upgrading in the future, but god knows when that'll happen.

I'm not sure, I think I'll go into the store and see them first hand before I decide.

Im sure you can find a 22 inch widescreen monitor for 220 us.

Point being ratings are misleading to what might actually be the case (regarding blur).
I'm not sure, I think I'll go into the store and see them first hand before I decide.
Sounds like a good idea. ;)

This article from bit-tech is a good read. It perhaps goes into more depth than you'll need, however it gives you a good idea of what to look for, if you'll pardon the pun.

You'll want to find a good balance of Image quality (colour/shadow quality/detail), Responce Time and Resolution for your price point.

I would suggest widescreen as well but if it doesn't matter that much to you then I suppose you can sacrifice it for a higher quality 4:3.

From what I've heard Samsung has a better reputation than LG.

When my friend and I were shopping for an LCD monitor, we brought a laptop installed with a couple games into the store and had them let us plug it in to see how they performed. They had to get a supervisor, but it was otherwise a painless experience. I can never see differences between response times on LCDs myself, but at the time we were trying to decide between plasma or LCD.

I'm using an LG L2000C 20" LCD if thats any help, very happy with it.

Save your pennies up some more and buy a Samsung Syncmaster 226bw 16.10 widescreen, 2ms response time and 1:1000 (1:3000 dynamic) contrast. Best investment I ever made, everything looks great on it. Forget 4:3 gaming.

Save your pennies up some more and buy a Samsung Syncmaster 226bw 16.10 widescreen, 2ms response time and 1:1000 (1:3000 dynamic) contrast. Best investment I ever made, everything looks great on it. Forget 4:3 gaming.

That screen, by far, is the best LCD screen that I have owned.

Alright, sorry to resurrect this thread, but I went out today and bought the monitor. I completely went against everything and got a 22" Benq FP222W (5ms) monitor for $286AU. It was a monitor that I had no research on whatsoever, but so far I'm liking it... though it is a bit bright... I assume that's just how LCDS are.

Widescreen gaming might take a while to adjust to as well :)

EDIT: Should say a big thanks to all that helped and especially those who encouraged me to go widescreen, it was definitely worth it :)

I also just recently got my first LCD(also is a WS). It's an Acer 19" 5ms, 2000:1. Great picture and I like it a lot. The only thing is when there is a black screen i can see some green on the sides of the monitor, not sure what that is. Is that a problem with the monitor or do all LCD's do it?

I used to get that on my CRT, so I don't think it's relegated to just LCDs.

I need a WS 19-incher too. Any suggestions? Cheap but good is key. I haven't done any research, but it's going to be my X-mas gift. :)

I just did a write up on LCD monitors in my blog (in my sig) and I advise anyone thinking about buying one go check it out, you'll find that not all monitors are made similiar. There is a good post on Hard Forum but Im too lazy and its in my blog anyway.

Back