LCD Recommendations?

J

JHunter

I'm sorry if this has been posted/asked before.

I'm currently in the market for an LCD screen. Willing to spend around $450 or so on one. I've read most of the posts here and know I need something with <16ms response to eliminate as much ghosting as possible.

At the moment im stuck between the BenQ FP931 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-014-063&depa=1 )

and the PHILIPS 190S5FB (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-133-147&depa=1 ) *Although I wish it also had DVI*

Or if neither...a higher end 17" model from either Samsung, Nec, etc. [Although I would really like a 19" ;) ]

Those who are using LCD's, can you share any positive & negative experiences with either of these monitors? Also can anyone give me any other recommendations? Or should I just stick with buying a 19 or 21" CRT?

Thanks! :cheers:

It's probably not what you want to hear - but I highly recommend not getting an LCD if you're into first person shooters.

I've tried 2 different ones - both with a 12ms response time. The ghosting drives me insane in shooters ..... and is very noticable (for general browsing and slow paced games they are excellent though)

Wait, there are new 8ms monitors JUST hitting the market. Wait for the reviews of them. That's what i'm doing.

Warbie, can you recommend me any good CRT's? I was looking at Nec's, Viewsonics, and Samsungs (19 and 21").

MaxiKana: I've read quite a few reviews on the 8ms screens coming out soon. My only major gripe with them is pricing. Im only on a $450 budget, and most of those will be over my scope. Theres not any out there at the momemnt, in my price range of course, that will suffice as a decent gaming LCD?

Thanks all :thumbs:

List of 19incher recommendations:

LG 1915S - Such a brilliant monitor for gaming, 12ms & Cheap!

Viewsonic VX912B X Series - 12ms
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ - 8ms

My top recommendation is the LG

PistolOnly: Where do I find these monitors? I've searched Newegg and Zip, and none of them have either of these monitors mentioned. Thanks for your help! :)

Are these UK releases only?

Also, does anyone have any feedback on the Samsung 710T vs 172X?

I had the Hyundai 12ms - but wasn't impressed at all. The ghosting was very annoying (especially in ET, and other fast fps)

Also, faster response times aren't always better. I've seen monitors with a 16ms respond time perform better on games than ones with 8ms (much depends on the screen, and other factors, aswell)

For shooters, stick with a good crt. Check out IIyama and Mitsubishi monitors (the bigger the better :))

Warbie said:
I had the Hyundai 12ms - but wasn't impressed at all. The ghosting was very annoying (especially in ET, and other fast fps)

Also, faster response times aren't always better. I've seen monitors with a 16ms respond time perform better on games than ones with 8ms (much depends on the screen, and other factors, aswell)

For shooters, stick with a good crt. Check out IIyama and Mitsubishi monitors (the bigger the better :))

then you must remeber response time is the amout of time it takes to gtom from black to grey and back to black. it doesnt gage how it goings from colour to colour.

Samsung 172x is the bomb no ghosting wat so ever half life 2 no problem Unreal Tournament 2004 no problem and the bezel is ultra thing it really is good to look at and so much better to look at than a crt good bye eye strain. After living with a crappy 14" CRT fishbowl swallowing up my desk space with its fat arse it it so good. If u r in the market for a quality LCD Samsung is great and no need to worry bout dead pixels. The warranty has it all sorted i personally havnt seen any news on the 8ms monitors but seriously i cant notice any ghosting.

I say go with CRT but with larger size and refresh rate as unless yours getting your self a really good LCD the ghosting is to noticable

Go with a larger CRT.

Oh and about OLED, yeah I've been waiting for an OLED monitor to come out since...what was it...1998? Hopefully they'll soon make developments in the lifespan, then we'll get the show on the road.

JHunter said:
Warbie, can you recommend me any good CRT's? I was looking at Nec's, Viewsonics, and Samsungs (19 and 21").

MaxiKana: I've read quite a few reviews on the 8ms screens coming out soon. My only major gripe with them is pricing. Im only on a $450 budget, and most of those will be over my scope. Theres not any out there at the momemnt, in my price range of course, that will suffice as a decent gaming LCD?

Thanks all :thumbs:

do a search forum members.. and search for Asus.
he has a link in his sig to a very nice CRT monitor which he uses and has recommended in the past.

Yeah OLED seems to be very interesting, only problem is, im currently stuck on a borrowed 17" crappy monitor and can wait no longer :p

I've had my eyes on the Samsung 172x for some time, but now very worried about it having issues with ghosting as I play a lot of FPS's. Any other members using this monitor and can vouch for it?

For the CRT, I was stuck between the NEC/Mitsubishi and the Viewsonic. NEC/Mitsubishi = Truly flat face & screen + crisper text ViewSonic = Higher res + Higher refresh rate + better warranty - slight blurryness with text.

I searched for Asus's Viewsonic P75f's. Although theyre nice monitors, I need something more in the 19" range.

JHunter said:
PistolOnly: Where do I find these monitors? I've searched Newegg and Zip, and none of them have either of these monitors mentioned. Thanks for your help! :)

Are these UK releases only?

Also, does anyone have any feedback on the Samsung 710T vs 172X?

I think they maybe Euro Releases - But there should definitely be equivalents in your country. The LG has a stunning quality/price ratio :)

Warbie said:
It's probably not what you want to hear - but I highly recommend not getting an LCD if you're into first person shooters.

I've tried 2 different ones - both with a 12ms response time. The ghosting drives me insane in shooters ..... and is very noticable (for general browsing and slow paced games they are excellent though)

Uh. BS buddy.

My Samsung 712N, at 75hz with a refresh of 12MS, is faster then any human eye can detect or perceive. The only thing I have is Vsync off, so that's my own dam fault for very minor tearing.

Nice try. It's people like you with BS antiquated opinions that really need to get with the times. Long gone are the days of the 40-50ms LCDs.

I was like that before though, I will admit. Cause the only time I was looking seriously at one, it was a Gateway LCD (I think?), about three years ago.

And goddam, I swear even Solitaire ghosted.

Hence why I was stuck on a ultra-low response time LCD. Or thought I needed.

But looking at the 25MS BenQ 19" at Futureshop playing Spiderman 2 about a week or so ago, I regret having not paid the extra 20 dollars for the BenQ, even if my Samsung 17" is theoretically twice as fast.

Easy tiger - this is just my honest opinion (one shared by quite a few others)

I've owned 2 expensive LCD's (which both recieved excellent reviews for gaming and had fast response times) before deciding that I couldn't stand the ghosting.

Would I actually sell both of them (making a considerable loss) and revert back to my 19" CRT if I didn't prefer it for gaming? Of course not.

Ya LCD's are nice but I can buy 3 19" CRTs for the same money that all hit 1600x1200. You need to have the space to put them though....

I just got a BenQ FP937 19inch, 12ms response time, and love it. There is no ghosting that i can see in games such as CS:S, the text is very sharp and it doesnt hurt your eyes. I don't have any tearing or problems with it. It also looks good.

PistolOnly said:
List of 19incher recommendations:

LG 1915S - Such a brilliant monitor for gaming, 12ms & Cheap!

Viewsonic VX912B X Series - 12ms
Hyundai ImageQuest L90D+ - 8ms

My top recommendation is the LG

good man. i've got the LG. superb image quality, brightness is good, no ghosting at all (even in UT2004), no dead pixels when it arrived....all in all..it just about matches my CRT. the only thing is the frame looks a bit workmanlike and it isn't DVI. worth a look though.

Back