Left 4 Dead 2 DLC announced - Original survivors return!

Pi Mu Rho

ValveTime Admin | Enemy of fun
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]
1260823135_edd55a74.jpg
[br]

Valve have announced the first DLC for Left 4 Dead 2 with a twist. Bill, Zoey, Louis and Francis are back![br]Entitled "The Passing," the add-on takes the form of a new campaign, where both sets of survivors meet up, along with new uncommon common, and new weapons. Also mentioned is a new co-op challenge game mode![br]In addition to the new co-operative campaign and associated narrative, "The Passing" will include new arenas for Survival, Versus and Scavenge mode and introduce a new co-operative challenge mode of play. Tell us more Doug!
"The Passing" takes place just after the Dead Center campaign of L4D2. Set in a small town in rural Georgia, players assume the role of the L4D2 Survivors as they meet with the L4D1 characters.[br]The Passing will become the most important campaign in the Left 4 Dead story, as all the Survivors are being called together in one campaign
The Passing is set for an early Spring 2010 release for PC and 360. More details as we get them!

More details as I send them to you on Steam chat you mean?

Actually, you weren't the first person to give me the details.

Will this mean that the versus version of the game has 8 Survivors Vs 8 Special Infected?

Means a lot of changes for servers, so I don't think The Passing will support versus full campaign mode against special infected. It will have just points where versus is possible for just 4 survivors perhaps.

This is why Chet wouldn't talk about them! Bah!

This should be interesting...

Will all the characters be available to play, like 8 player campaign or will they be bot controlled? Please don't be bot controlled :(

I don't think they'd include 8v8, or 8 player coop. It'd make the game way to easy for the survivors and all of the maps would need rebalancing to accommodate for the new amount of players running through it.

Nice to see the old characters back though, always knew they'd show up. Wonder how they will meet, wonder if they'll actually talk to each other or just be seen in the distance?

Love you, valve. :)

If L4D players could play, then this would be good news but doubtful

Wow, I ****ing hate when developers do this... They release a game then come out with DLC weeks later! Is this a joke? I already payed for it you greedy money-grubbing basta--

Oh wait, I forgot this was Valve, and shit is free.

Wow, I ****ing hate when developers do this... They release a game then come out with DLC weeks later! Is this a joke? I already payed for it you greedy money-grubbing basta--

This is why Valve are cool. You could mock Gabe in every way shape and form, and they would still not hold a grudge and give you the shit :smoking:

It could be 4 Survivors Vs 4 Survivors Vs Infected

So its set just after Dead Center; Guessing it may be a Vs. game mode centred around competetive fuel gathering, seeing as how you where in the Stock Car all the way to Dark Carnival

I was getting ready to throw a whole load of hate your way then :p

There have been no details if its free or not. if you noticed in the press release there trying to show there lots of new stuff possibly to justify a price point. Also if you right click on the l4D2 icon in Steam you will notice there is a DLC category the baseball bat is listed under there...Just giving my observations

Awesome!
Hopefully we can have a team of Bill, Francis, Nick and Zoey.

Sweet. I guess I should be getting L4D2 soon...

Can't wait to see how they handle this, given Bill is a HUGE racist.

Bill, Louis, Coach, Rochelle. Team Infight!

There have been no details if its free or not. if you noticed in the press release there trying to show there lots of new stuff possibly to justify a price point. Also if you right click on the l4D2 icon in Steam you will notice there is a DLC category the baseball bat is listed under there...Just giving my observations
All DLC will always be free on PC. Not for 360, however.

Wow, I had actually talked to my fiance about how cool it would be if Valve did this. I had no idea they were going to act on it so soon. Yay Valve!

I wouldn't be so sure about that "free" part to be honest.

We'll see how it works out. If the price is right...

I just hope that they don't continue the trend of TF 2 by introducing new, half assed game modes that nobody bothers to play. I'd rather have some new campaigns, weapons etc.

Hmm. So this would be before they have to ditch the car because of the blocked road? Maybe the level will include some in-game driving? You can always dream...

Hmm. So this would be before they have to ditch the car because of the blocked road? Maybe the level will include some in-game driving? You can always dream...
Unless they rewrote the shoddy driving code to make it not fall apart online... Yeah. Not happening.

My speculation at the moment is that The Passing could be structured like Hard Rain, the car runs out of gas and the survivors make for a nearby fuel dump highlighted on local signage. They meet the original four survivors along the way, stuff happens, and they return to the car with additional gas. From there they drive until the tank hits empty and voila, they arrive at the start of Dark Carnival.

Back