Left 4 Dead 2!!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
What happened to you Valve?, you used to be cool...

"omg valve u turn tf2 into mmo, u suck omg l4d2 is comin wherez mah ep3 **** you valve"

seriously, some people need to shut the **** up

if you don't like it, then don't ****ing buy it

the steam forums ain't happy
If I was the Steam Forums, I wouldn't have much to be happy about.

Valve is big enough that they can work on more than one game at once people. And again; Episode Three's absence leaves a Half-Life 3 shaped shadow.

Well Microsoft announced Left 4 Dead 2, so this is the absolutely slimmest of possibilities that they'll announce something else tomorrow isn't there?

I don't get you guys. When EA, a company renowned for making pure shit, announced Modern Warfare 2 shortly after the first game came out, everyone was ****ing thrilled.

Wat? Activision publish Modern Warfare. Infinity Ward began making it as they released MW1. It comes out 2 years after Modern Warfare 1.

Oh yeah i totally forgot it was Activision. Either way, for 2 years it looks like the exact same kind of game that COD4 was and no one's complaining about that.

For that matter, those who are shitting on Left 4 Dead 2 seem to be forgetting that it's everything a sequel should be. New characters, new weapons, new story(or should I say, an actual story apparently) new locations, new game modes and so on.

Yet because it's been announced less than year after the first game, Valve are apparently just as bad as EA now. If it was announced next year and looked exactly the same as it does now, no one would be making a fuss of it.

Although it is still valve and I'm sure this will turn out good but why the **** did valve reveal this and not Ep 3? :flame:

Valve is big enough that they can work on more than one game at once people. And again; Episode Three's absence leaves a Half-Life 3 shaped shadow.

Just two posts out of the multitude from people who'd rather have drama and bitch than think or research.
Microsoft had their announcements yesterday, they announced L4D2, not Valve. Valve are going to be up today.

DOOOOM?!

Does this come across to anyone else as a little bit too soon? It would make more sense if all of this content was a patch for Left4Dead, on PC at least, since it uses the same engine and all. If it's a paid expansion then fair play but a whole new game just doesn't make sense.

Seeing the community's response, I hope Valve have learned a lesson from this.

Seeing the community's response, I hope Valve have learned a lesson from this.
You do mean 'don't listen to the community', don't you?
Just two posts out of the multitude from people who'd rather have drama and bitch than think or research.
How is saying that Valve is probably working on something else, something better than Episode Three, "drama and bitch"? Basic reading comprehension comes before thinking and research.

Is Valve going to be announce something other than L4D2 today?

"omg valve u turn tf2 into mmo, u suck omg l4d2 is comin wherez mah ep3 **** you valve"

Agreed. The entire Valve community has turned into a huge collective whiny bitch. And I really want to slap it.

Is Valve going to be announce something other than L4D2 today?

Isn't it kind of obvious? Valve isn't that dumb.

Is it just me, or has 90% of this community become extremely irrational?

90% of this community becomes extremely bored and just wants to get boisterous.

You do mean 'don't listen to the community', don't you?

How is saying that Valve is probably working on something else, something better than Episode Three, "drama and bitch"? Basic reading comprehension comes before thinking and research.

I was talking about the "Episode 3 shaped shadow".

Dude, how many hours left before 2 p.m. of E3 conference?
I am not good at all those time zone stuffs.

It will be 10pm GMT, its 4pm now...so 6 hours from this post.

:LOL: You definitely won't have to worry about that.
Not paying for something that should've been a free content update and don't even tell me that it couldn't be a free update.
Valve does engine updates and graphic updates all the time, everything in L4D2 could very easily be made into several packs.

Also, there's nothing wrong voicing our disappointment, if you don't like it, don't ****ing read our posts.

More maps than the original game, new AI director, new weapons, new zombies, new characters. So an 'update' bigger than L4D1 should be free...

More maps than the original game, new AI director, new weapons, new zombies, new characters. So an 'update' bigger than L4D1 should be free...
Exactly. Valve have spoiled everyone with so many free TF2 updates and now they expect the same for everything else.

I was talking about the "Episode 3 shaped shadow".
Says 'Episodes Three leaves a Half-Life 3 shaped shadow' :p

So the less we see of Episode Three, the more like "Half-Life 3" said product looks...

Thanks. I may as well go for a sleep first.

It will all make sense if it is bundled with Portal 2 or Episode 3. Like what was done in the orange box.

Thanks. I may as well go for a sleep first.

It will all make sense if it is bundled with Portal 2 or Episode 3. Like what was done in the orange box.
That's what I'm hoping for, but I'll still probably get L4D2 even if it's stand-alone.

Valve must really be kicking themselves for their marketing practices. The stuff they develop must now either be completely free or bundled with a couple of other complete games before they ship them.

If they were putting L4D2 in a Lemon Box, they would have said already I think.

Valve must really be kicking themselves for their marketing practices. The stuff they develop must now either be completely free or bundled with a couple of other complete games before they ship them.

If they were putting L4D2 in a Lemon Box, they would have said already I think.

Don't you realise that L4D2 has a lot of reused contents(sounds, enemies, models)?

It does have a large size and a bunch of new stuff. While I agree that it is no way a piece of DLC, it is just a little bit less than a standalone game.

Don't you realise that L4D2 has a lot of reused contents(sounds, enemies, models)?
Few sequels by other developers don't have a similar amount of reused material. Bioshock 2 springs instantly to mind.

Sounds, enemies and models don't make games. There is software and programming. If the software is different (new AI, new algorithms, new procedures), then we have a different game. And you can't expect to get a new game for free.

Oh good I didn't know valve were having there own conference.

Maybe this could be the start of a new orange box with L4D2, EP3 and Portal 2 :D

Few sequels by other developers don't have a similar amount of reused material. Bioshock 2 springs instantly to mind.

Whether other developers do it or not, people don't usually buy things that are "slightly better" than what they have, which is what is happening with L4D2 and why people are ranting.

If they had shown us something radically different, something that looked like it had some major changes, I don't think people would have been upset. Sure, you'll always get a small crowd that wants it all for free, but the majority of people would tell them to shut up.

When you're looking to buy a new computer, you don't just try to get something a little bit better. If you blow 800 bucks on a computer, you expect to see as much improvement as when you last bought a new one, right? That's whats happening here. I didn't buy COD5 because I didn't feel there was a full game, worth 50 dollars there. It looked exactly like L4D2, like they had taken the game, added some new maps, reskinned some models and created some new ones, and changed some sound effects here and there to give the game a different theme. I will not buy Bioshock 2 either as it looks stupid, and I loved the first game, but I don't necessarily want more of the same.

I don't think any rational consumer would pay full price for something they perceive to be a partial product. Whether its fair for Valve or not is not the issue. They are a company, they supply products, and consumers buy them. From a consumer perspective L4D2 is not a product worth paying full retail price for. It's like one of those bad straight to DVD sequels of movies you loved. If its cheap enough you might consider buying it, but you'd never pay full price for it, as it is not in your mind, a "real" sequel.

That's kind of why Bioshock 2 looks so disappointing at the moment.

Your absolutely right.

*ignored*

:imu:

Yet because it's been announced less than year after the first game, Valve are apparently just as bad as EA now.

Ah the magical ability for humans to learn from experience.

Early announcements and release dates not long after a predecessor has nested itself in the part of my brain that says "beware".

Its like when you learn that fire hot. One time the fire might not hot you, but chances are fire is going to hot you so no point taking the risk.

Hence why the 2009 release date unfortunately makes me wary.

Ah, fanboy perhaps?. I never bought Bioshock, it was boring. I never bought 2142 or most over sequels or recent.

Your example is flawed because I was barely interested in that games first release, let alone any subsequent titles.

people don't usually buy things that are "slightly better" than what they have, which is what is happening with L4D2 and why people are ranting.

How do you know that L4D2 is "slightly better"? The game is not out yet. Is there a demo or something?

From the gameplay videos, and the announced features. Am I not allowed to make an educated guess in order to determine whether I will personally enjoy a game or not?

I didn't know I was supposed to buy the game to see if I'm going to like it or not.

I didn't know I was supposed to buy the game to see if I'm going to like it or not.

My personal experience: the gameplay videos of L4D were awesome. Then I bought the game and I found it as boring as hell, gameplay-wise. I don't judge on gameplay videos anymore, but it's just me ;)

Your example is flawed because I was barely interested in that games first release, let alone any subsequent titles.
So... I write posts for your particular interests at the moment? At least I'm no longer responsible for their general drop-off in quality.

Also, I'm looking forward to Bioshock 2 and never said I wasn't. Bioshock is such an idiosyncratic game that creating too much new content would unnecessarily make the sequel feel like a completely different game. Similarly, Left4Dead has quite a lot of stuff that simply does not need reinventing. Perhaps, after all, the best example to have given would have been the Episodes. Valve's inclination to reuse material where appropriate is hardly without precedent.

Well, I kinda viewed the episodes differently. They were still Half-Life 2, just done better. The naming convention they adopted just made that clear to me. My expectations were appropriately set in place and Valve surpassed them.

I would have been less forgiving if they tried to market the episodes as Half-Life 3. And that's the position L4D2 is falling into right now. It does look better than the first game, and I welcome the improvements. But it doesn't come off as a proper sequel, and that's where a lot of the confusion comes from, I think. It seems more like what Vice City and San Andreas were to GTA3.

Does the name really matter? I dunno. But... y'know... blah.

By the way, the only thing that bothers me about Valve is that they seem to have the focus on multiplayer games. People like me who don't care about TF2, L4D and all the continuing downloadable contents and updates are left with some faded memories of HL and Portal.

It's good to see not all of you are a bunch of whining freeloaders. I don't see anything wrong with what Valve is doing right now.

Thank god! I don't have Xbox Live, so I can't get the expansions. This will be brilliant for me! 5 new campains! I had a dream about it already last night (Mainly the new Charger special infected.)

If people don't like paying retail prices for games with supposedly expansion level content, they can always just wait until the price comes down, which if you're a PC gamer, is really not a long time to wait anyway. Steam isn't going to stop working until you hand over your money for this sequel.

I'm definately going to get this, but probably for Christmas. Still, the Charger looks badass. :D

It's good to see not all of you are a bunch of whining freeloaders. I don't see anything wrong with what Valve is doing right now.

Me and a bunch of guys just enjoyed a night of freeloading off your mom.

Really, the hospitality was excellent.

Back