Les Misérables

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Saw it last night and it's a bloody fantastic show. Pretty much as I remember the stage musical being though obviously they can do bigger things on set than on stage and I do think being in front of actual people performing and gazing down at them rather than have a camera jump about helped a elicit a bit more emotion than the cinema produced.

I do especially love the parts where people are singing different songs at the same time, Valjean and Javert's sort of fight particularly. Hathaway's I Dreamed a Dream also blew me away. Bloody fantastic.

Incidentally there was a surprising number of young fellas at the cinema. I thought they must have been there to go see Django Unchained but they followed us into Les Mis and were sitting behind us. They liked it too.

My wife is a really big fan of the musical... I actually never saw it until we went to the movies the other day. I thought it was decent... I felt that they tried really hard to make the entire movie a musical and because of that it was way too long. It gets really frustrating when every single sentence is sung and normal words become 3 seconds long. I was dying in agony during the third act.
I have some respect for the movie though, apparently they didn't record anything in studio which is amazing... everything was sung on set -- I guess it made it a more real performance.

When my wife and I went I think we were the youngest ones there... and we are 26... lol.

I really liked it. They did a good job of transforming the musical from a stage production into a film. I can see how people unfamiliar with the musical would be turned off by the singing of conversations, but it's an acquired taste. I really wish they had cast somebody other than Russell Crowe for Javert. Much as I respect his acting abilities, opera-style music just isn't his forte. Anne Hathaway was awesome though, and I thought the Sacha Baron Cohen played an excellent Thernardier.

Thernardier.
I was sort of interested in seeing this movie, until I just read this. Now I want to see it as much as I want to see that movie with a girl named catniss. Which is not at all, since whoever wrote it though catniss was a good name for something.

How dare Victor Hugo be French! The nerve of the man!

Great film, the adaptations are far better than the shitty book. Hathaway was incredible.

I actually really enjoyed it. I have to say, the opening shot/scene was one of the best for me, the music mixed with those visuals was amazing. Despite popular opinion, I actually quite liked Russell's singing too.

Back