Looking for a 120hz monitor

Stigmata

The Freeman
Reaction score
I like the look of the Samsung SyncMaster S27A950D, but I wonder if there's another out there that would give me more bang for my buck. My only requirements are

- limited to no ghosting
- minimal output delay (apparently most LCD monitors are in the 8-16ms range here?)
- 1080p or 1200p
- non-shit colour and contrast

How the monitor physically looks is not relevant in the slightest, I just want one with fast response and reasonable colour reproduction. Any help is hugely appreciated.

If you are a programmer... or even just a busy student, I can't begin to say how convenient portrait mode (swivel) is for doing online homework! All Asus monitors that I have owned/ used have been flawless.

EDIT: after looking at that Samsung. I wouldn't do it. That support looks gimmicky and not as reliable for moving in a vehicle (unless it is made of steel, which it doesn't appear to be). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

3 fewer inches, but it swivels and is ASUS for less than half the price.

That monitor does look really good, and the 144Hz will help a lot to reduce tearing and/or increase effective FPS if I turn on vsync. But my current monitor feels a little small at 23", and I would basically never use the swivel or tilt... but 144Hz is awful nice, and I actually enjoy the process of calibration...

That monitor does look really good, and the 144Hz will help a lot to reduce tearing and/or increase effective FPS if I turn on vsync. But my current monitor feels a little small at 23", and I would basically never use the swivel or tilt... but 144Hz is awful nice, and I actually enjoy the process of calibration...

Inches are less important than pixels. High pixel count is what contributes to total information bandwidth on a screen, not its physical size. Try finding a 1920x1200 or 2560x1440 monitor instead of a larger 1080p design.

I'm well aware of how pixels work, I want a physically larger monitor as well as getting 1200p if I can find one at 120Hz or higher.

Personally never had a problem with 60 hz, or are you trying to go for 3D ability?

Read the next article, it may help you on your search.

Fair warning. I don't know if they go for more than 120 hz and for more that those resolutions, but that is a killer deal,2 firends of mine have 120 hz 2560x1440 monitors for 300 euros,and only one of them has 1 dead pixel in the top right corner so... your choice

Update time. I ended up getting the Asus VG248QE, and it feels like a god damn CRT. Really happy with this purchase. Hard to calibrate and the gamma seems a little high, but the colours are good enough and the unit itself is really well put-together. It's mounted on an internal pulley system in the stand, so raising/lowering is very smooth and won't slide after being set, and it has a rotating base as well. No dead pixels either. And now I have a dual-1080p desktop B)

Thanks for the help y'all.

Back