Need a extremely good Monitor. Just bought one that seemed good but wasn't. Check it.

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
This is the monitor i got.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7894086&st=931bf&type=product&id=1149205183814

And this piece of shit doesn't do anything i wanted. There is still ghosting and holy shit the colors even ****ing change at the ghosting points. The colors are shit. For this price and specs i was expecting a god like LCD.

Now, venting done....

Give me some good 19'' monitors that have:

High contrast ratio 1500-2000:1
Low ms (THAT ****ING WORKS)
Highest resolution possible (Why cant i find a LCD 19'' that's more then 1280?)

Anyway. Thank you!

PS

I dont care about price.

I need two monitors. One without any ghosting and it needs to be 19'' none wide screen.

And I'm planning on getting another monitor that's wide screen for gaming.

I need a top notch wide and a top notch regular sized.

theres a reason why they are based in inches.....its by resolution.also the brightness and contrast ratio doesnt look that great.i would return it for a widescreen 19' or you could return your samsung that could be faulty.

It's hard to find a good monitor that doesn't sacrifice SOMETHING in that price range. And you will need to go up to at least a 20" screen to get higher resolutions.

Skim through this.
-Different types of LCD panels. One model might use a TN panel but the next model from the same brand could use a MVA panel with different results.
-some don't need as fast of a response rate to get rid of ghosting. That is why they make some at 2ms but other types of panels are just as effective at 8ms.
-some are worse at color accuracy
(The recommendations are in section 9)

The first LCD I bought was a Viewsonic VX model (TN panel version). There was not any ghosting except in dark areas in a game but the colors sucked. I have a CRT right next to my LCD so I could do a side-by-side comparison.
I returned it and ended up buying a Samsung 193P+ (discontinued) which is great. It's all in the panel.

It's hard to find a good monitor that doesn't sacrifice SOMETHING in that price range. And you will need to go up to at least a 20" screen to get higher resolutions.

Skim through this.
-Different types of LCD panels. One model might use a TN panel but the next model from the same brand could use a MVA panel with different results.
-some don't need as fast of a response rate to get rid of ghosting. That is why they make some at 2ms but other types of panels are just as effective at 8ms.
-some are worse at color accuracy
(The recommendations are in section 9)

The first LCD I bought was a Viewsonic VX model (TN panel version). There was not any ghosting except in dark areas in a game but the colors sucked. I have a CRT right next to my LCD so I could do a side-by-side comparison.
I returned it and ended up buying a Samsung 193P+ (discontinued) which is great. It's all in the panel.

I dont care about price.

I need two monitors. One without any ghosting and it needs to be 19'' none wide screen.

And I'm planning on getting another monitor that's wide screen for gaming.

I need a top notch wide and a top notch regular sized.

Would connecting the monitor DVI or VGA effect ghosting?

I like my Samsung 940BW 19" wide.

Would connecting the monitor DVI or VGA effect ghosting?
No

Selection at a local store will probably be pretty thin and mainly cater to the mainstream (low priced/office monitors).

What's the diff between VGA and DVI anyway?

What's the diff between VGA and DVI anyway?
DVI = Digital connection. You see exactly what the PC renders pixel for pixel.
VGA = Video signal on the PC is converted to analog (not exact pixels anymore). Any analog signal can get interference from other wires/electronics/magnets etc near by which will degrade signal.

for gaming you need a TN panel ..best response time however shitty colour reproduction (in comparison to other panel types) bad veiwing angle

oh and a contrast ration of 1500 - 2000 is misleading ..that's dynamic contrast; meaning it achieves that by changing contrast when dynamically when it's needed ..but that's mostly for watching movies

LG electronic 204wt has the highest contrast ratio but it's artificial

if it's for gaming I would recommend a viewsonic vx2025wm ..it comes with an active matrix panel (much better colour reproduction) as opposed to a TN panel that most of it's competitors have ..might see faint ghosting ...if money is not a concern I'd look into a Dell 2007WFP or a NEC 20WMGX2 which have S-IPS panles (the best panel avaialable) ...however the Dell is a gamble as they recently switched to a cheaper panel but fail to inform customers as to which panel they're getting

the 20" samsung you linked to is not a widescreen monitor ..the tip off is the native resolution 1600 x 1200 ..20" widescreens have a typical resolution of 1680 x 1050 ..the 204 is ok but look into the 205 which is widescreen

for gaming you need a TN panel ..best response time however shitty colour reproduction (in comparison to other panel types) bad veiwing angle

oh and a contrast ration of 1500 - 2000 is misleading ..that's dynamic contrast; meaning it achieves that by changing contrast when dynamically when it's needed ..but that's mostly for watching movies

LG electronic 204wt has the highest contrast ratio but it's artificial

if it's for gaming I would recommend a viewsonic vx2025wm ..it comes with an active matrix panel (much better colour reproduction) as opposed to a TN panel that most of it's competitors have ..might see faint ghosting ...if money is not a concern I'd look into a Dell 2007WFP or a NEC 20WMGX2 which have S-IPS panles (the best panel avaialable) ...however the Dell is a gamble as they recently switched to a cheaper panel but fail to inform customers as to which panel they're getting

the 20" samsung you linked to is not a widescreen monitor ..the tip off is the native resolution 1600 x 1200 ..20" widescreens have a typical resolution of 1680 x 1050 ..the 204 is ok but look into the 205 which is widescreen

I think im going to buy the samsung i linked to. All im worried about is ghosting. I want my GAMES to look amazing. Dont really care about movies or anything else.

The resolution on this monitor is exactly what i want.
The review i read on Gotfrag said it didnt have any ghosting.

And remember i need two monitors but the one i need the most is the none widescreen. Ill worry about getting a wide later. I can always return it since im buying from BestBuy but it really dont want to keep doing that.

How do you tell what kind of panels they are using? Does it say somewhere, because I was looking at the tech spec at the dell website but it doesn't say anything about "S-Ips" I just don't know where you find that information. I'm trying to figure out what my Gateway FPD2275W 22" Monitor is...http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessoryStore/PC+Accessories_316441/Monitors_316684/LCD+_Q1_Flat+Panel_Q1_+Monitors_316694/22_PL1_+inch+LCD_381956/1535923R_ProdDetail?seg=hm
I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what it is.
Also good luck Asuka, sorry I couldn't be of any help. I need help,hehe...:p

Ok i got the monitor but im not going to open it just yet.

How do you tell what kind of panels they are using? Does it say somewhere, because I was looking at the tech spec at the dell website but it doesn't say anything about "S-Ips" I just don't know where you find that information. I'm trying to figure out what my Gateway FPD2275W 22" Monitor is...http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessoryStore/PC+Accessories_316441/Monitors_316684/LCD+_Q1_Flat+Panel_Q1_+Monitors_316694/22_PL1_+inch+LCD_381956/1535923R_ProdDetail?seg=hm
I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what it is.
Also good luck Asuka, sorry I couldn't be of any help. I need help,hehe...:p

as far as I know all 22" panels are made by the same company: chi mei

here's all you need to know about the dell s-ips panel lottery thingy ..

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111100&highlight=panel+lottery

it mentions how you can tell if it's s-ips but of course that's after you've already purchased it

here's a link on panel types

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1745344&enterthread=y

if it's for gaming I would recommend a viewsonic vx2025wm ..it comes with an active matrix panel (much better colour reproduction) as opposed to a TN panel that most of it's competitors have ..might see faint ghosting
That's a MVA panel.
/me scratches head

I agree that the Viewsonic model you mentioned is an awesome screen. I've seen many reviews with good MVA/PVA screens that do not have noticeable ghosting as far back as 2005. (I'm not saying that all MVA/PVA screens have no ghosting issues). Right now I'd say TN panels are the cheap way for a gaming screen.

Here is a review for that Samsung LCD. Only thing that stuck out for me was no DVI cable included. :(
Get a DVI cable online, not in a local store. They are expensive at places like Best Buy etc.

That's a MVA panel.
/me scratches head

I agree that the Viewsonic model you mentioned is an awesome screen. I've seen many reviews with good MVA/PVA screens that do not have noticeable ghosting as far back as 2005. (I'm not saying that all MVA/PVA screens have no ghosting issues). Right now I'd say TN panels are the cheap way for a gaming screen.

Here is a review for that Samsung LCD. Only thing that stuck out for me was no DVI cable included. :(
Get a DVI cable online, not in a local store. They are expensive at places like Best Buy etc.

Ya i have one already, thx for that review going to open it up and try it out.

Btw did you notice how he said max resolution was 1600 then in the middle he said 1280 then 1600 again?

Another thing is about the resolution he keeps saying that it doesn't look good playing anything lower then 1600res. Does he mean ghosting occurs below that res. If so that doesn't make sense. Or does he just mean AA/AF etc.

That LCD's native and max. resolution is 1600 X 1200.

He isn't refering to ghosting. But the image will look more pixilated. The LCD will ALWAYS display 1600x1200 pixels (CRTs are not made up of pixels so they don't have a native resolution, just a max). If you change your PC to display 1280x1024 (example) at the desktop or in game then the image you see will have to be upsampled to 1600x1200 for your LCD to display. That is how it works when you set your resolution lower than the Native resolution with ANY lcd. It has to make up data for pixels beyond 1280x1024 that the PC isn't giving it so it stretches the image to 1600x1200. Therefore it looks pixilated and blotchy at anything below 1600x1200. Not as clean and sharp as it would be. That is why those who buy big screens and want to game on them also buy expensive graphics cards. They need the power to run the games at that resolution well.

That LCD's native and max. resolution is 1600 X 1200.

He isn't refering to ghosting. But the image will look more pixilated. The LCD will ALWAYS display 1600x1200 pixels (CRTs are not made up of pixels so they don't have a native resolution, just a max). If you change your PC to display 1280x1024 (example) at the desktop or in game then the image you see will have to be upsampled to 1600x1200 for your LCD to display. That is how it works when you set your resolution lower than the Native resolution with ANY lcd. It has to make up data for pixels beyond 1280x1024 that the PC isn't giving it so it stretches the image to 1600x1200. Therefore it looks pixilated and blotchy at anything below 1600x1200. Not as clean and sharp as it would be. That is why those who buy big screens and want to game on them also buy expensive graphics cards. They need the power to run the games at that resolution well.

Oh ok that shouldnt be a problem then. Thank you.

Just got the monitor up and running and let me tell you, its kickass! Amazing picture and no ghosting!

Btw it does come with a DVI cable :p

How the hell did you menaged to get apparent ghosting on a 2ms reponse time?

Read the thread, just like me your probably in the unknown has to how much BULLSHIT LCD monitor specs are.

Back