low fps

Willber123

Reaction score
in halflife games my fps seem to be like capped at 60 fps, which im positive they shouldnt be. it jsut constantly bounces between 59.9-60fps. anyideas?

vsync is on, and it locks the FPS at your monitors refresh rate. Turning it off can result in tearing.

Yeah, it might be Vsync, however there is a program I think that raises the rate at your Hz-amount called reforce, and it works just fine to me.
I can have 100 FPS with Vsync on.
Games like Halo and Enter the Matrix, however can't seem to handle that Hz-amount and that sux. :(

well i think vsync is on but my refresh rate is on 85hz, wots up with that :s and also, that reforce thing, mite that like fry ur monitor or omething, cos my poor monitor can only go up 2 85hz, and putting it on 100hz mite damage it.

In your monitor settings there should be 'use same as desktop' or something for the refresh rate override. At least, there is one for my 9700 Pro, not sure about the Geforce settings.

The refresh rate probably reverts to 60Hz automatically when starting a game (ie. a direct3d app). I think there's a refresh override menu in the newer Detonators where you can specify the refresh rate it will use in games for every resolution, but I'm not sure. As dawdler said, there certainly is a setting like that in the Ati drivers :)

hmm, interesting, i found out that my monitors refresh rate was on 60hz anyway, silly me, so i changed it to 85, but it still stayed at 60 fps, how very odd. where abouts is this thingy about making the refreshrate the same as the desktop? im running the catylists 3.9

p.s wot is trueform? bcos mines always disabled.

leave trueform disabled.
When you change from 2d desktop to 3d apps the refresh rate can change.
The monitor setting is for 2d while the driver settings or ingame settings (possibly a shortcut command) changes 3d refreshrate.
When you cannot hit the desired frame rate/refreshrate it cuts the fps in half to maintain sync.
e.i. I was running BF1942 with Vsync and I was getting lower FPS than 85 (refresh rate set to 85) so i decreased my res to 1024x768 (from 1280x1024) and it's fine now.

ok but im running 1024x768 anyways, and its always 60 fps on higher resolutions too, is there a program that can raise the refresh rate in 3d apps?

Nvidia drivers have it under display property/settings/advanced.
I donno about ATI.
Might have to find the command that is needed to put in the game shortcut to force a refreshrate.

if the fps is the same as the refreshrate in HL, why then am i getting 99fps (set my max fps to 150, before i did that i used to get 62).
My refresh rate is 85 running at 1024(ingame)..
My second question is why it's 99. I am running a barton 2500, 512(PC3200) megs of ram and a Sapphire Radeon 9800 non pro.. All standard. Running xp pro.
My monitors max rate at 1024 is 85..

Originally posted by vgard
if the fps is the same as the refreshrate in HL, why then am i getting 99fps (set my max fps to 150, before i did that i used to get 62).
My refresh rate is 85 running at 1024(ingame)..
My second question is why it's 99. I am running a barton 2500, 512(PC3200) megs of ram and a Sapphire Radeon 9800 non pro.. All standard. Running xp pro.
My monitors max rate at 1024 is 85..
You obviously have vsync disabled :)
Odd if you get 100 if you set it to 150 though.

Hehe, think i 'misread' some of the posts. :D

I haven't tried really hard to get my fps above 99, besides writing 'fps_max 250' in the hl console.. :) I could probably figure it out, but i don't play hl1 that much, and besides.. 99fps is enough for me. I'ts the same wether there is much action or not. (not online gaming)

vgard, the reason y ur fps doesnt go over 99 in half-life is because i think 99 is the maximum the HL engine can handle ( i think! )

hmm.. Funny that people can get higher fps than 99 then.. Perhaps their lying!? hehe..
Well, 99 is a little strange.. You're probably on to something. I have read something similar someplace elsewere, but I don't remember on which site.

hmm mi dunno, but i can only get mine as high as 99. ive seen screen shots of people staring at wallas with about 150fps but other than that ive never seen anything higher

Originally posted by Willber123
well i think vsync is on but my refresh rate is on 85hz, wots up with that :s and also, that reforce thing, mite that like fry ur monitor or omething, cos my poor monitor can only go up 2 85hz, and putting it on 100hz mite damage it.
Heh, my screen just tells me that it is out of range if it is too high.
I can play in 1024*768 in 100 Hz though :)

Make sure to have the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" checked.
Know your monitor's refreshrate limits. Otherwise...poof, a blank screen and smoke from the back of the monitor.

Originally posted by Asus
Make sure to have the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" checked.
Know your monitor's refreshrate limits. Otherwise...poof, a blank screen and smoke from the back of the monitor.
Yeah, but where do I do that?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it.

Another EDIT: Thx for the warning anyway, I could have burned my screen when playing CS with vsync and 100 Hz.
Thank God I was lucky enough to not experience that. :S

Back