Low violence?

Malambis

Reaction score
Hello, when playing the TF2 Beta I noticed that instead of having the delicious bloody gibs in all the game trailers, I had: rubber duckies, license plates, hamburgers, and cogs when people were exploded. Which are from the "team fortress 2 low violence.gcf". Even though I had violence_hgibs, violence_hblood and etc all set to 1 it was using these files instead.

Now I'm curious, does everyone have this low violence gcf file? I've read the post on the steampowered forums about the low violence DE (German) version, but I live in California and was even charged CA sales tax for my orange box. So I doubt that I somehow got a DE version.

Anyway, I fixed it pretty easily by seeing which files are in the low violence gcf and just placing the corresponding file from the "team fortress 2 content.gcf" and "team fortress 2 materials.gcf" in my team fortress 2 folder so that they are read instead, as they should be.

But this was quite a hassle for a workaround I shouldn't have had to do. Anyone else have this problem?

That's ..pretty funny.
Well glad you got it resolved.

I don't even understand what your talking about...

Could you explain how exactly you did that?

I'm stuck with the same Problem but haven't figured out how you can write in .gcf files.

Help would be much appreciated.

Turns out the simplest fix is the best. I had assumed that it would rebuild the low violence gcf file if I were to delete it, so that's why I did the longer fix. But it turns out steam didn't rebuild the low violence file after deleting it. That's what I get for assuming things, though the low violence gibs are pretty funny.

I have no idea why it downloaded that file for me in the first place though. However, if the DE version DOES rebuild the low violence gcf then this workaround worked very well.

Could you explain how exactly you did that?

I'm stuck with the same Problem but haven't figured out how you can write in .gcf files.

Help would be much appreciated.

Deleting "team fortress 2 low violence.gcf" from your steamapps folder should fix it.

But if it does rebuild it for some reason after deletion, then download the program GCFScape and open "team fortress 2 low violence.gcf" and use it as a guide for which files need to be placed in your team fortress 2 folder.
The files you'll need are in "team fortress 2 content.gcf" and "team fortress 2 materials.gcf". If the bloody gibs and blood decals from the 2 base content gcf files are in your team fortress directory, it will use them instead of anything in the low violence one.

This workaround does not work for me.

I copied all files from content and materials to my tf folder - still low violence.

all I did was move the low violence file from the steamapps folder to a backup folder on my desktop. rebooted and now I have blood and gibs, hurrah!

Low violence sounds hilarious... a great Easter Egg. Like on CSS when people kneel down and surrender after a bullet penetrates their brain.

Everytime i remove or move the GCF File, Steam will download it again. How can i fix it? I want to disable Low Violence.

The low violence thing sound interesting...Mine obviously isn't...there are body parts everywhere and rivers of blood...lol :d

Restart of Steam should fix it

The original depot that was released for the beta was built as low violence. That was fixed a few minutes later, so if you still see this problem it should be fixed by restarting Steam - you don't need to worry about deleting anything.

Never mind fixing it... I want to see some screenshots of those rubber duckies :D

Burgers, Screws, Tricycles and signs with "Your Arm" + Arrow...

Not for me. Rebootet Steam and PC. Still Low Violence.

Most likely the server is still running low violence. It should all get flushed out once more updates are released and people restart their servers.

Malambis, could you eventually send me a copy of your new "team fortress 2 low violence.gcf" file? It could save me a lot of work, and probably a lot others as well.

Besides, I don't know how to use that gcfscpae program. It's too confusing...

BTW. This is my first post in here. :p

You can actually find some of the low violence gibs as easter eggs in the normal version. Very rarely you will see one of the low violence gibs with the regular gibs , in game i have only seen a tricicle and a license plate. You can also find them in g-mod.

I had the low violence gibs on a party server before.

Malambis, could you eventually send me a copy of your new "team fortress 2 low violence.gcf" file? It could save me a lot of work, and probably a lot others as well.

OOPS! I thought you were supposed to change the low violence.gcf thingy. I have the censored version, but I don't want to have it. I've tried everything at Valve Forums, but they can't help either. I want my blood!!! I have paid for a game, and I will not rest before I get it properly!!!!

Lol, is there some kinda thing where you get extra pointz! the more you bump threads, cuz im seeing that alot around here :)

This would be illegal and would force my hand.

have you tried contacting steam support about the low violence?

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/33703

Why don't you guys just use this if you want the low violence thing?

Darth, I'm not sure what you mean by blood? are you saying that you don't have blood at all?

Also, I'll see if I can be as clear on how to install it for you. Firstly you have downloaded it correct? then you right click the file and select "extract here" then go into the folder(s) extracted and copy the files and paste them, in most skins the folders go down all of the folder paths in you tf2 so it should be fairly simple to find the correct folders.

Hope that helped.

have you tried contacting steam support about the low violence?

Yes, and I've finally got an answer. Here's the answer WITH the solution:

Please exit Steam, then go to the C:\Program Files\Steam directory (this is the default with a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it), and delete all of the files except for:

Steam.exe

And the folder:

\SteamApps\

Restart your computer and test the issue.

I'm soooooooooo happy. :p:p:p:p:p

isnt that the same stupid answer they give to everyone - DELETE DELETE DELETE?

I wonder if there's a way to get the low violence?

have you got a link to that article DarthSatoris?

I wonder if there's a way to get the low violence?

have you got a link to that article DarthSatoris?

No, it's no article. It was a mail from Steam Support.

If you want the cut version, then try to ask Steam Support how. They'll help you. I'm sure about that.

Back