LUCAAAAAAAAS! More Star Wars edits in updated blu-ray edition

I hope they incorporate this scene into their already amazing list of changes:

Sorry you're bored by two-hour long films, epic space battles which redefined cinema and effects, a cast of interesting, charismatic, and relatable characters, and a trilogy of films which define the essence of fun epic adventure films.

seriously, have you even watched the films recently, or are you just filled to the brim with shit? mock the prequels and lucas' tireless efforts to rape the originals to pillage for profits all you want, but dont talk shit about one of the most important milestones of american cinema. thats just ****ing stupid. and before you say anything, you are of course entitled to your opinion. and im entitled to think its goddamn stupid.

Do you like Star Wars? "No." Strike 1. Do you like Empire Strikes Back? "No." Strike 2. Do you like Return of the Jedi? "No." Strike 3. ;)

LOL at your reaction. Also how kind and civilised of you to allow me to have my own opinion.

And before anyone accuses me of trolling, I'm entirely serious when I say that I equally don't like the originals or the prequels.

Oh, and I might consider watching them again if you pay me to do it.

but dont talk shit about one of the most important milestones of american cinema.

oh yuri ..the only important milestone was that up until that time there was nothing like it when it came to merchandising or marketing. that aside the movies are somewhat unremarkable when it comes to acting or story or cinematography etc. it's important yes, for the reasons I mentioned but it's hardly comparable to movies that are well known for it's acting or directing or script etc. star wars isnt memorable for those reasons

the script is hammy, the acting is a mixed bag, george is a terrible director who somehow got a bad performance out of Harrison Ford ..and he's the only saving grace in the trilogy; think how tedious it would have been without Han

oh yuri ..the only important milestone was that up until that time there was nothing like it when it came to merchandising or marketing.

Wrong. Star Wars did not become famous solely because of how it was advertised. It was the special effects, the storytelling, and the characters that propelled it to popularity.

the script is hammy, the acting is a mixed bag, george is a terrible director who somehow got a bad performance out of Harrison Ford ..and he's the only saving grace in the trilogy; think how tedious it would have been without Han

I think your memory needs to be refurbished.

I don't understand why people like Return of the Jedi so much. It always gives me the impression that it's where Lucas tested out how the prequel trilogy would be.

And I really don't understand Eresthuex. No matter how mild the post he's reacting to is he always responds as if it's a personal attack on the validity of his opinion. And then when you react or call him on it he'll treat you like you're overreacting or being overly defensive.

I watched A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back last weekend, fell asleep during A New Hope (more because I was tired than anything else though). Did enjoy Empire Strikes Back though, if only for the music. The directing was pretty bad though, I understand that Imperial March is the motif for Vader being on screen, but jesus christ, how many damn shots of Vader walking do you need? It's just lucky Imperial March is f*cking awesome.

I don't understand why people like Return of the Jedi so much. It always gives me the impression that it's where Lucas tested out how the prequel trilogy would be.

And I really don't understand Eresthuex. No matter how mild the post he's reacting to is he always responds as if it's a personal attack on the validity of his opinion. And then when you react or call him on it he'll treat you like you're overreacting or being overly defensive.
ROTJ is the best of all the six movies as far as I'm concerned. The Ewoks were corny, yes, and as you said a foreshadowing of many elements in the prequels. But the final battle between Vader and Luke makes up for it. Luke's anger when Vader threatens Leia, as well as Vader's final redemption were some of the few emotionally gripping moments in the whole saga.

watching a New Hope right now and it looks amazing. my only other copies of the Original Trilogy were those we taped on VHS and some digital copies but the Bluray is by far amazing

But the final battle between Vader and Luke makes up for it. Luke's anger when Vader threatens Leia, as well as Vader's final redemption were some of the few emotionally gripping moments in the whole saga.

I couldn't agree more. The whole of the Death Star arc is fantastic.

Wrong. Star Wars did not become famous solely because of how it was advertised.

ya that's not at all what I'm saying

It was the special effects, the storytelling, and the characters that propelled it to popularity.

special effects I can agree with you here. the rest no

I think your memory needs to be refurbished.

by far the weakest role for Ford to date. the script was terrible, and lucas cant direct actors.

the rest no
I agree with Shem.

Already posted this but I guess it bears repeating:

I only saw these films just recently, after disliking Star Wars all my life for being too nerdy (the comic book/sci fi type of nerdy, of which I am not keen on).

I decided to give them a fair chance as an adult, and I certainly enjoyed them and would say they were great films. Do you really think the special effects were any part of this?

At the time? Yeah, they were. Even as a kid I remember thinking the effects were great, and this was ten plus years after the fact.

Still great movies, to be sure, but effects were always a big part of what made Star Wars Star Wars. Or really, not just effects, but everything about the visual design - costumes, sets, etc. Visually it's a very distinctive series, which I think contributed to it's success at least as much as the story and characters.

Right, but art direction and special effects aren't exactly the same thing, especially in the context of the way Stern was talking about the movies. He was saying it in a negative way, like what people say about the prequels. Of course the special effects were pulled off well, but if that really was all the movies did right (which is what stern said) I would not have enjoyed them.

A film's visuals are comprised of art direction + technical quality. The star wars trilogy definitely had both, and it would not have been fantastic if it only had the latter.

At the time? Yeah, they were. Even as a kid I remember thinking the effects were great, and this was ten plus years after the fact.

Still great movies, to be sure, but effects were always a big part of what made Star Wars Star Wars. Or really, not just effects, but everything about the visual design - costumes, sets, etc. Visually it's a very distinctive series, which I think contributed to it's success at least as much as the story and characters.

for me it was all about han solo being cool and pew pew. I actually liked battlestar galactica the movie better (it was the pilot for the tv series that was repackaged as a movie only in canada) ..and that movie is terrible

I loved it for the great set piece battles mostly. The assault on the Death Star being an obvious one, although the snow battle at the start of Empire Strikes Back was always my favourite.

for me it was all about han solo being cool and pew pew.

Me too. I personally loved it for its characters, and the story. I have to remember to love the characters like I did before I saw the prequels :(

no one understands me :( :( :(

all i am trying to say is, if you dont like star wars, i personally think you tried to not like star wars.

i definitely regularly owe people apologies for the way i post, but knee-jerk reactionary abrasiveness is my specialty <3 i mean seriously:

han solo was poorly acted? i mean, for ****ing real?

Ehhhh, I wouldn't say poorly acted, but thinking back his performance was a bit wooden. Han is a little one dimensional anyway, but you don't tend to notice when he's constantly distracting you with his rogueish badassery.

Anyway this is hl2.net, knee-jerkin's what we do best. :cool:

No, I'm not exempting myself from that.
:cool:

ya that's not at all what I'm saying

If that isn't your point, then what is? "Marketing" and "merchandising" are both synonymous with advertising.

special effects I can agree with you here. the rest no

Yes, because Darth Vader, Yoda, and every other memorable character in the original trilogy had no influence on the popularity of Star Wars. Nope, they were completely irrelevant. Man, if only I could remember Vader's revelation to Luke after he cuts off his hand...

by far the weakest role for Ford to date. the script was terrible, and lucas cant direct actors.

Right, so I guess because he was so weak as Han Solo, people will remember him more for his role in a summer blockbuster movie involving cowboys and extraterrestrial beings rather than Star Wars.

I'm comfortable with being knee-jerked.

Back