Magic the Gathering

Then you've hated most of the game :p I just don't like the new stuff *By new, I mean stuff from 2002 and on...* They made shit too complicated.
You mean the abilities/effects like Split Second?

Man, those were the days when I had a green deck that had durk boars, craw wurms, craw giants... fogs, streams of life. Heh.

Such a simple deck, those were my glory days.

EDIT: Change of plans. I'm uploading to megaupload, as my brother is a member. I'm going to see if it lets people download the huge file size for free.

Yeh, it should have been all about the fight.

The original story of the game was simple: Two wizards fighting each other calling on creatures from parallel worlds.

Okay, I uploaded it to megaupload.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1M5YDOS4 first part

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L33HTAWM second part

Download both, unrar them. Install Octgn, extract the files from the other zip/rar that is contained in the initial zip and read the readme file that contains the instructions. It's been a long time since I ran it, but everything should work fine. I included in the files a MTG card back pic that can be used in Octgn, or you can use your own image for that purpose.

Megaupload is a total asshole of a site... so I hope you guys are able to get both parts by downloading one, then the other. I hope it doesn't make you wait any significant period of time before getting the second.

I spent so much time on this today in various incarnations to get it to work. So much stress.

Well, I downloaded part 1 fine, but I constantly get a "download exceeded" on the second part.

Played while I was in the US. Great time passer. :D

I loved the comments below as well. "When a goblin blows itself up, it's called stupidity. When a man does, it's called valor." I still remember it, after all these years...

Well, I downloaded part 1 fine, but I constantly get a "download exceeded" on the second part.

<sighs>

This sucks ass.

I'll send you part 2 via AIM, and to anybody else too.

If you get the "download limit exceeded" error, it just means you have to wait a few hours before downloading the second part. I'm getting it from Megaupload as we speak.

If you get the "download limit exceeded" error, it just means you have to wait a few hours before downloading the second part. I'm getting it from Megaupload as we speak.

I waited a good 5 hours...how long do you have to wait?!

*EDIT* I just tried the download again, and it's working since it's almost 24 hours later :p

Okay, I uploaded it to megaupload.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1M5YDOS4 first part

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L33HTAWM second part

Download both, unrar them. Install Octgn, extract the files from the other zip/rar that is contained in the initial zip and read the readme file that contains the instructions. It's been a long time since I ran it, but everything should work fine. I included in the files a MTG card back pic that can be used in Octgn, or you can use your own image for that purpose.

Megaupload is a total asshole of a site... so I hope you guys are able to get both parts by downloading one, then the other. I hope it doesn't make you wait any significant period of time before getting the second.

I spent so much time on this today in various incarnations to get it to work. So much stress.

Raz, these are the worst instructions ever :p I can't figure out what to do. I extracted them both *which were the exact same thing, mind you*, and ran the patch utility thing after I installed OCTGN...now I'm lost.

Raz, these are the worst instructions ever :p I can't figure out what to do. I extracted them both *which were the exact same thing, mind you*, and ran the patch utility thing after I installed OCTGN...now I'm lost.

Sigh. give me a bit, i'll run through instructions more precisely.

EDIT:

Okay, the files are part 1 and part 2 of a rar. They are both part of the same file, and when you have them in the same directory after installing, you open one of them with an unrar program. Extract the Octagon folder somewhere. In the octagon folder, you have various files.

First, double click and install OCTGNSetup.1.3.531

Once that is installed, or even during the installation, extract the contents of the rar file 4ajngmxdyexw6b9z1x1a5ox95nuaylk0 somewhere like your desktop. It'll be a folder named Alpha-Time_Spiral_Patch_EN_11-13-2006

In that folder is the readme file i told you to read, but instead I'll just type the instructions here and try to clarify anywhere else I can.

Open up the Octgon program. If it's the first time you open it, click the file with 'empty' as a filename when it prompts you. You might get some errors, ignore those, just skip past them.

Inside Octgon, click on game - database - load new cards. Locate the folder you extracted named Alpha-Time_Spiral_Patch_EN_11-13-2006 and find the file called Alpha-Time_Spiral_Patch_EN_11-13-2006 which should be within it. Use that file and click open or double click on it. You'll be prompted if you want to import the cards. Click yes. It'll go through it's work importing the huge list of cards. Let it do this.

Once this is done, click on game - options and make sure that the database path and images path lead properly to OCTGN\db and OCTGN\db --- basically the same folder.

Back in the Alpha-Time_Spiral_Patch_EN_11-13-2006 folder, extract "Oracle spell and creaturetypes 11-2005v2" somewhere and within Octgn, click game - database - load database patch. Do that to both of the files contained within that zip.

Now, do the same thing but with the file named patch.octgn which is in the alpha-time spiral folder you extracted earlier.

Lastly, extract the two text files in the zip named dbfiles_gpt to the folder Octgn\db

That should be the last thing you have to do. After that it's all about setting up in Octgn. To get the magic card back, take the jpg named 'Magic the Gathering' that is found in the original Octagon folder you extracted from the part1 and part2 rar files and put it in the octgn folder. In Octgn click game - more options - themes - and where it says cardback direct it to that jpg. When you click save, just save a theme name you make up or whatever, and next time you restart the program it'll have changed.

If you want to remove the poker cards which I do... go to game - database - load new cards and in the Playing Cards folder use the file named 'PC_spoiler_en' and click no. That will remove all those playing cards from the area you try to make a deck.

Now... to get all the cards to show up each time you open deck editor...

I'm trying to figure that one out right now, but i'll tell you how once I figure it out... that way you don't have to click list all cards each time.

That made it a lot easier, Raz. Got all the cards into the database now. The first card listed when I hit "List all" had me lolling hard :D

If we can get some good games of this going, that'll be awesome.

[edit] It's also interesting seeing that about 70% of all Magic cards have been banned from Standard competitions.

That made it a lot easier, Raz. Got all the cards into the database now. The first card listed when I hit "List all" had me lolling hard :D

If we can get some good games of this going, that'll be awesome.

[edit] It's also interesting seeing that about 70% of all Magic cards have been banned from Standard competitions.

Ya, I finally got mine installed, but Raz is having issues getting his cards to stay loaded...I got mine, though :p

We should try to get a game going, stiggy.

Not until I figure out how to throw a deck together :p

Now that I think about it, I don't remember needing to have cards showing up automatically in the list. If I wanted to see all cards, I'd click search and click list all cards. More often though I'd filter for keywords such as 'goblin' or various colors and click search. It'll go through every single card and filter for the things you selected. It has complex filter options, but loads fast.

To create a deck, just click new deck, rename it under the info tab(click info to see it), and just find cards on the right you'd want to add to your deck, and double click a card to add it to your deck(on the left window). You can double click multiple times to add multiples, or you can right click the card on the right and add multiples that way(such as for land etc).

Just remember to save your deck once you're done.

Oh, and to filter lands and stuff, its the second furthest color from the right. The colors as follows are red, green, blue, white, black... the essential colors. then you have multicolored, lands, and artifacts

I'm setting mine up now, though I won't even know where to begin making a deck after all these years : /

EDIT: Ye gods, what madman thought up a button color scheme of WHITE ON GREY...

EDIT2: Yep, I've no idea where to begin making a deck... I mean really, once you have every card at your disposal how do you start?

ONE MORE THING PEOPLE. I forgot to add, set up your tokens. In the original extracted Octgn folder, there is a folder called Tokens. copy that folder and paste into the installed Octgn folder. It should overwrite it.

If you have any questions, let me know! I just got Cyberpitz set up ready to go, and I told him how a game can be played. I'd like to teach other people too, so if we can get together sometime, we can all get together in a game so I can teach many of you at once.

Unlike other programs like this, this one supports MORE THAN 2 PLAYERS. we can have large games.

Now... i'm going to seek out the latest MTG expansion card sets so we can patch those in.

Well, I must admit, this was fun as hell! I got a deck I have in real life created, and Raz played his brothers *rather gay* sliver deck. I ended up winning, thanks to Worship and Elvish Piper, but it was close! If anybody has questions, add me to MSN/Steam Friends/anything. Or just PM me. I'll stand by Raz's side and help teach.

We need to get a big game going!!! :D

EDIT: Ye gods, what madman thought up a button color scheme of WHITE ON GREY...

Well good thing you can change all that. I recommend loading the OLD theme that's in the list below christmas theme and starting from there.

Just taught Cyberpitz how to play and played a game with him. THought it was going to be a boring game with me whittling him away(I was using my brothers deck since I don't have any more of mine right now), but he surprised me by pulling magical shit out of nowhere and stomping all over me.

Large games can be done easily. But here's a tip, the board size resolution gets defaulted to the lowest resolution among players. So the larger games you play, the higher resolution it's best to agree to play with, like 1600x1200 etc. Good practice in screen management is also good, making your area compact and neat and not using unnecessary space. But with just two or three players its fairly easy to be sloppy and it doesn't cause too many problems.

Oh and Steel.Inferno
Stee.Inferno said:
EDIT2: Yep, I've no idea where to begin making a deck... I mean really, once you have every card at your disposal how do you start?

Think of an idea... a special ability or several that you want to work with. filter the card text and find those cards. Once you get a few cards its really easy to think of ideas you can use to augment your deck, and the program has a powerful filter for the search so you can find cards easily in the 14000 odd number of them.

TIP: When selecting cards, you can choose which card edition graphic you'd like to use. Instead of selecting the card name, to the right of it select the edition name within that card name, and you can choose the different card art.

This is missing a few cards, Raz. I have a few real copies of a card called Armadillo Sheath or something similar (one of my favorite white/green cards for some reason), but I can't find any instance of even the word "Armadillo" :/

I'll have a deck set up later tonight though, and I'm definitely up for a game.

This is missing a few cards, Raz. I have a few real copies of a card called Armadillo Sheath or something similar (one of my favorite white/green cards for some reason), but I can't find any instance of even the word "Armadillo" :/

I'll have a deck set up later tonight though, and I'm definitely up for a game.

It's called Armadillo Cloak and it's listed in there.

Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has trample.
Whenever enchanted creature deals damage, you gain that much life.

Did you make sure you used 'clear all' in the search thing to remove any previous filters for colors and such, and type armadillo in the search list with the name checkbox checked?

This is the card from within Octgn.

23164gz7.jpg

also it could be for some reason that it's showing it, but not displaying. I'm having that problem right now and I haven't had it before in the past.

For some reason when I search for armadillo it has that problem, but when I search for arma it doesn't.

Ahh, didn't hit "clear all" the first time, thanks!

My white/green deck begins... :D

Yeah, I'm noticing some bugs that I never noticed before, but they only seem to be present in the deck editor. And most of the time they won't present themselves. It's just something that will have to be ignored/worked around, as I never had any problem with it for the longest time I used it.

EDIT: I'm noticing many more problems with this program than I have before. I'm going to try to figure out what's up.

EDIT 2: Guys, I don't mean to be a burden, but here's what I'm going to do.

I'm going to go to the original sources and find out the latest version of octgn(which I already found out there is a minorly updated version), as well as all other card sets, and provide you links here to download. Hopefully this will improve the experience for all of us.

I'd recommend anybody who hasn't already downloaded the files I uploaded, to hold off and wait until I find out what the latest version/card sets are so we can download those and all be on the same page.

Important: READ ME

Okay people... I've done it, I've gone through the IRC channel and did some cyber sleuthing. It turns out things have changed since I last played this and the files I uploaded are obsolete.

My recommendation, DELETE EVERYTHING YOU DOWNLOADED so far relating to Octgn. If you made any decks, save them somewhere. It's best to start this all off from a clean slate. To save decks, inside the deck editor highlight your deck then click the export button.

A new version of Octgn has been released, it is unfortunately not the highly anticipated version 2.0(which includes some amazing features by the way), but instead is a slightly updated version from the one I had previously.

Download the Octgn installer from here: http://home.comcast.net/~torg0999/OCTGNSetup.1.3.533.exe

Beautiful. Now install it.

You will need to download the new card sets. This is everything from Alpha-Tenth Edition, excluding the Lorwyn expansion set which I'll provide a link for next. Download the split rar files to that at the following links. Note: You need all 7 files downloaded before you try extracting them. There are several sites provided you can use to download them, so you'll be able to achieve them faster than with just one link. If you're not a member of any of them, simply download them as you can and wait the time between downloads as you must. DOUBLE CHECK that the filesize after you downloaded corresponds to the filesize listed, since sometimes a download will go wonky and finish after less than a megabyte is downloaded. Again, the links follow.

Part 1: http://sharebee.com/b9d2b5a9
Part 2: http://sharebee.com/0b8449a0
Part 3: http://sharebee.com/0a3fdaf3
Part 4: http://sharebee.com/9069b0e9
Part 5: http://sharebee.com/fe6b31a9
Part 6: http://sharebee.com/e8f19fe4
Part 7: http://sharebee.com/4eedcbbe

Once you download all of these, extract the folder to your desktop.

Open Octgn and click Game - Database - Load New Cards --- Navigate to the folder you extracted and use the file named "MTG_OCTGN_Patch_Alpha-Tenth_Edition_Spoiler" within.

It'll take a while. Once that is finished continue.

Click Game - Database - Load Database Patch --- Navigate to the folder you extracted and use it on the file named "Tenth starter DB" followed by "Oracle Rules 20-09-07" followed by "Oracle SpellTypes 28-09-07"

In the folder you extracted is a folder named Tokens. Copy that folder and replace the folder in the installed Octgn directory with it.

If you want to use preconstructed decks that were released for MTG, there is a folder called "Precon Decks Alpha-Tenth" in the folder you extracted. Copy all those decks and add them to the Decks folder in the installed Octgn folder. You can then within the deckbuilder import whatever ones you want to use.

Once those are done, you can set the program up how you want. Inside the folder you extracted, there will be an image file named "deckmaster" which you can add to the Octgn/images/cardbacks folder. To set the image as your card back within Octgn, click on Game - More Options - Theme --- and change it from within there.

The following link contains the high resolution images for the Lorwyn expansion pack.

http://sharebee.com/81c0dd41

Extract the files into a folder on your desktop. Within Octgn click Game - Database - Load New Cards --- Navigate to that folder and use the file contained within. Then click Game - Database - Load Database Patch --- And navigate to that folder and use the file contained within.

There, you're done. You now have all the latest expansion sets. There are still some graphical anomalies that bug me in the deck builder, but hopefully they will be rare and not bother you. If you cannot find a card you're looking for, for example typing "Armadillo" and nothing shows up when you know it displays a card, instead type Arma and then it'll show up. Something is buggy with the way it does certain things like that.

EDIT NOTE: I looked at my brothers install, and he's not getting the same anomalies that I am. I type in Armadillo in his search, and it actually shows the card in the search menu. And when I type in Wrath, it doesn't mysteriously chop off any part at the bottom like it does in mine. WHAT THE HECK. SUB EDIT: YAY, I fixed my problems!

Oh and in case anybody is interested in the development of Octgn 2.0, it has some awesome new features. I've been waiting for it's release for a real long time though, so who knows when it'll ever be released.

http://octgndev.wordpress.com/

I've finished setting it all up. What deck rules should we use? 10th ed?

We're not really using any specific deck rules or legality rules. For now, it's just whichever cards you want to use for your deck, so long as you're not being a jackass and loading it with thirty Rare cards. So just make a deck of at least 60 cards, and then hop on the Steam Chat or something when you want to play, most of us seem to hang out there a lot.

And for the record, this was a lot of fun. Played a three-way game with Raziaar and Pitz just now, and while Pitz owned us, it was still entertaining. And 4-player games (FFA and team games) would be awesome.

I've finished setting it all up. What deck rules should we use? 10th ed?

I dunno... whatever everybody agrees upon? I don't know anything about certain edition rules...

Anyways, just had a couple games with CyberPitz, and a three way between me, Cyberpitz and Stigmata(Soupstorm). It was great fun, despite not the best couple games from a strict game standpoint. Lots of luls.

Here's an image from when we were screwing around, and then Stig's crappy computer crashed the program on him. haha.

EDIT: SON OF A... NOOO I DID IT WRONG. The pic was cropped all stupidly. Dammit. Anyways, it was a pic of the board with dozens of cards all scattered about. rofl.

Well, I've never really used steam chat. Someone care to run me through how to get to your chat room?

[edit] Damn you Sedako, making me waste two minutes of my life typing that.

Also, everyone should really get this Octagon thing. Seriously.

Now.

Leveler.jpg

The only card you'll ever need.

I'll see if I can get this working, and I might play. Haven't played for years, though.

-Angry Lawyer

Woot AL!

More people should download and play this with us! You can have 6 people in one game!

So, just got done with a game with Stig, and my god, it was so fun. He was playing a Green/Blue Big monster with some creature control, while I was playing my Blue/white with some creature control and creature tapping. The game lasted for almost 2 hours, and he JUST about got me. I was down to 7 life, but ended the game with 31 hp. GG Stig, probably the best game I've played in a long time.

And so far, I've based my decks off decks I own personally, so I can see how they fair in the real world. I know those UBER LEET DISCARD/DAMAGE/etc decks would rape it, I just like the fact it's got not too rare cards in it, and is put together rather well. I might rebuild my old Legends deck as well...

So, just got done with a game with Stig, and my god, it was so fun. He was playing a Green/Blue Big monster with some creature control, while I was playing my Blue/white with some creature control and creature tapping. The game lasted for almost 2 hours, and he JUST about got me. I was down to 7 life, but ended the game with 31 hp. GG Stig, probably the best game I've played in a long time.

And so far, I've based my decks off decks I own personally, so I can see how they fair in the real world. I know those UBER LEET DISCARD/DAMAGE/etc decks would rape it, I just like the fact it's got not too rare cards in it, and is put together rather well. I might rebuild my old Legends deck as well...
That game was ****ing epic. If it weren't for your two god damn Sommoders or whatever they were called, I definitely would have won. :D

Back