Map planning....

Reaction score
...is anyone doing it yet? Because i was thinking about it but other than the physics test I'm gonna set up I'm not sure if theres any point. I mean its not that i don't have ideas its just that since i don't have much to go by, i don't really know what limitations are gonna be on the maps. In one respect i don't want to over size them, but i also don't want to limit it to half-life standards (which is what alot of people seem to be doing when they are talking about what to do in HL2 maps)

I suppose there really isn't much point to this post. I was just wondering what everyone else is doing in preparation for the game.

I am constantly thinking up possible maps for my mod! Just thinking of the mission involved, environment, layout, etc.

I think I already told in one of the topic's that I am going to model my school and a large piece of the area around it.

me too, muhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:flame:

j/k :cheers:

lol... kick!

:cheers:

edit: w000t.. 400 post's already.. DAMN this posting goes fast

yeah, the mapper on my team are planning out maps now, so we cna make models for them and get ready to map them when we can...

I've already done a sketch, but the thing I'll be doing is looking/planning how to map/sketching my neighborhood and then in august actually !!ATTEMPTING!! to map it

Obviously its a good idea to plan out the basics now so to minmise the time between being able to map and actually mapping. Stuff like layout, plot, environment and storyline.
A person who designs his own house doesn't know exactly how it will be built but that won't stop him from planning the layout and features.

Personally I won't start producing anything until I've played the game to find out what the real potential is, but that hasn't stoped me from creating lots of cool ideas for levels that I plan to make.

I'm already building maps for HL1. Sure HL2 will be different but it's great to try out ideas in 3D. Plus starting from a converted HL1 map has to be quicker than starting form scratch. I'm creating all the textures myself, keeping the source photographs so that I can remake the textures at a much higher resolution for HL2.

Something tells me that mapping for HL2 will be very similar to 1. In the video interview (is it really an interview when no-one asks any questions?) Gabe says they tested source by using media (maps and models) from HL1 before the new stuff was created. So it may be possible to play your HL1 maps in Source without converting.

Originally posted by derby
I'm already building maps for HL1. Sure HL2 will be different but it's great to try out ideas in 3D. Plus starting from a converted HL1 map has to be quicker than starting form scratch. I'm creating all the textures myself, keeping the source photographs so that I can remake the textures at a much higher resolution for HL2.

Something tells me that mapping for HL2 will be very similar to 1. In the video interview (is it really an interview when no-one asks any questions?) Gabe says they tested source by using media (maps and models) from HL1 before the new stuff was created. So it may be possible to play your HL1 maps in Source without converting.

I suppose it may be. But then again it could infact slow you down. You will have to change all the stuff in the map to bring it up to HL2 standards.

'Is it an interview when noone was asking questions?'

Maybe Gabe is taking a pot a monologues.

Of course you will need to change stuff, but the point is it will be faster to convert an HL1 map than it will be to create an HL2 map from scratch, even if you have to delete every entity and add HL2 ones.

Whenever I think about creating a map i usally draw it first, whether on my PC or by Hand. Then its just a case of copying it within Hammer. I have knocked up a few ideas in Hammer, as Derby said to get a more 3D view. I dont compile them, I just use the 3D Textured window and fly around. But then again, all the ratios might have changed, step height, player height etc. We wont know for sure until August I guess :)

I think I am going to make a pit filled with cables :) and putting a hovering helicopter above it where you spawn in. so you need to jump down trugh the cables :).. ragdoll fun :) I dont hope you die untill you actually hit the ground or brake your neck cus off the cables

maybe a strangle effect? now i don't think valve went that far...

my school is something i've been wanting to map for AGES now, so i'm gonna go start taking photos of bricks and metal poles, get called a moron at school, then shove it in everyone's faces after i make a kickass map! grr.

i think it would be more suited to counter-strike....

on the topic of counter-strike is cs going to be upgraded to the HL2 'standard'? i just can't see dust in the HL2 environment...

I'm collecting ideas for every possible mapstyle for now (Scifi,Fantasy,normal) and since we don't know how big HL2 maps can be i decided to assume there's no limitation. After all, scaling down ideas is what we all did when mapping for HL1, right ?

The best to start is to play the game (or 75% of it at least) to be able to judge what can be done and what things you need to delete from your project.

After that, it's just like cycling between reading tuts, asking in forum, testing map prototypes, evaluating outcomes, revising designdoc and start over until your project is finished.

Sounds like a lot of work ? Yes, games (and mods) have become very complicated and of high (gfx) quality. Normal HL maps used to be about 500 brushes in Worldcraft for some rooms - now we've got that amount in 1 corner of a room ! It's far more work because there are far more details now. And more details require a much clearer vision of the place you want to map.

The more i think of it the more i see that 99% of all HL2 mods won't be completed. Modding / mapping HL2 requires far better skills - the times where you could map ur little idea within a few hours are finally over.

Precise planning will be absolutely necessary !

Yeah, I agree with you [)r (I need to see the film you took your name from, I heard it's good) more planning, I remember, before I even learned how to use Hammer (my what a long time ago *goes all misty eyed*) planning out a stupidly detailed map, I'm sure you don't want to know what its all about, but I was sadly unable to make it in the HL1 engine....ill give you MAX**LEAF**FACES :flame: and now, Ill be able to make it, and in fact I will be putting it in Operation Everlasting Shadow (PLUG!) although I won't be actually doing the mapping ( :( I code now :) )It will still be nice to see my first ever idea for a map realised in the most advanced engine around...... Ill stop before I go sentimental.....

I too are also making map plannings. I Drew them out and made them using the original SDK. Its Turrning Out Pretty Cool. Ive made up to 23 maps so far. But the problems are the textures i know there not gonna be the same but hopefully there are simillar ones to those in original.

well hl2 cna support textures upto 2000x2000... so you can prberly put more detail in... :)

I am going to copy the blueprints from my school. and take my digi camara with me to school so I can take some pictures for textures and capture the details.

I am going to have alot off fun @ this. I am full with cool level idea's and model idea's @ the moment.

I am going to buy me a new decent sketchbook so I can fill it with the idea's I have (loads off rough thumbnails from creatures, and other cool stuff)

I might scan in some pages for your amusement

Sometimes I see things that would do great in HL2, I usually think "Hey, I'm gonna build that in HL2." and so on. It's quite fun to see how may scenes in movies or places in reality that would do great in HL2.

/me has an idea off building a vulcano with a lab in it :)

Back