Map Rip-offs

James Isaac

Reaction score
Well I just found out that someone has decompiled one of my Counter-Strike Source maps (it's called fy_officemini if you've ever heard of it), removed my name (made out of brushes... not even visible without noclip), changed one thing and added their own name (at least I presume it's their own name... it's a huge custom texture on a part of the map but I can't see it because I dont have the texture) then released it under a different name :flame: .

It's ok when people ask about it... someone else ported the map for Day of Defeat Source but they emailed me asking me if it was ok and credited me :).

Anyway, has this kind of thing happened to anyone else? Is there anything I should do about it?

That's the problem... I searched on google and i can't find any sites to download the map from, only logs from servers which played the map, so I can't find the texture which i'm guessing has his name on.

You can prevent your map from being decompiled in hammer. Under map properties.

Hm.. Nothing you can do now.

Download VMEX and read the applied documentation. There are three different things you can inplement in your map to make newer verisons of VMEX completley ignore it.

Im pretty sure that when you set "disallow decompiling" in hammer then hammer will implement the "useless keyvalue" method. However this one is quite easy to override. I suggest using all three to keep your map from being decompiled.

Back