Mass Effect 2 comes to PS3

VirusType2

Reaction score
"One of the first things you've going to see is improved graphics. We actually created the engine for Mass Effect 3 and used that to make Mass Effect 2 PS3. So we took the content, the story and all the other assets that made up Mass Effect 2 and put it into the Mass Effect 3 engine. And that's what we're actually delivering"
Other improvements also include planet scanning, general bug fixes and the entire wodge of DLC - such as the 8/10 Lair of the Shadow Broker - included as standard. The PS3's Blu-ray drive also means "you no longer have to swap discs".
Of course, PS3 owners will never be able to get their hands on Mass Effect 1 - the game was published by Microsoft. But in order to bridge the gap, Houston also explains how BioWare has added "an interactive comic that helps tell the backstory of Mass Effect 1, as well as helps you set the stage for your Mass Effect 2 universe. It helps you make decisions on things like whether or not Wrex lives or dies, or whether Ashley or Kaiden lives or dies" - and these decisions can then be imported into Mass Effect 2, similar to how the save games work on the 360 version of the game.

The PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 is released in Europe on 21 January 2011.

Lol'd at fanboys that think that Bioware shouldn't use the better game engine that they have available to them. Yes, they should use a lesser engine so they can be fair to 360 owners. WHAT IN THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/bioware_mass_effect_2_ps3_much_more_solid_than_360.html

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

then I read the second one

and YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

time to replay it and abandon my 360 altogether

I'll get this game in the $20 bin like a year from now....even though I have it on the 360. Also complaining about swapping disks is bad. I think I walked to the xbox like 3 times...and its also good to stretch your legs while playing a game like this

I thought both of them were running on UE3.
That would make Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 engines derivatives of UE3. In other words, they modified the UE3 engine to suit Mass Effect 2. Eventually, this ME2 engine was improved for use in Mass Effect 3.

So, this improved ME3 engine can be used to power Mass Effect 2 on the PS3, since it is coming out so late.

How much of a difference it will make is yet to be seen, but should be interesting. The only other circumstance (that I'm aware of) where a PS3 version of a game was actually better than the Xbox 360 version, was in a very similar situation, with the game Oblivion.

I got this when Steam had it for DIRT ****ING CHEAP, but I kind of want to play it on the big TV in the living room, so I think I may actually get it for the PS3. I loved playing ME1 on the 360 when it came out. It was one of the only exclusives (along with Bioshock) that I cared about and it was AWESOME. I have had a slightly harder time getting into ME2 for whatever reason.

I love RPGs and the Mass Effect series looks great. I still haven't picked up any of them and I've got a pretty killer game PC.

It's really ****ed up... My entire life I wanted a sweet ****ing computer, and -- over the course of about 5 years -- starting with the audio card, gaming case, etc. (parts that I could carry over to a new computer), I finally get all the great parts and build one myself. I completed it in 2009, and I haven't bought any games for it.

The last AAA game I bought was DiRT, in like 2007, and here it is going on 2011.

Back