Max Payne 3

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
This is everything from Gametrailer's review summed up.

>8-10 hours feels drawn out
>too many enemies
>collecting bonus items for upgrades is stupid
>my favourite is the multiplayer!
>Aiming Assist should be turned on by default
>enemies are too smart!
>it's too hard!
>when i go the wrong way and try and go through a locked door the game tells me i am going the wrong way! how stupid!
>"playing with other human beings is unquestionably the superiour option"
>visual styles are dumb!
>the Hawaiian shirt is stupid!
>a flawed hero is stupid!

Are there really people this retarded?

Finished the game 2 days ago and am still playing. Took me around 13-14 hours. F*cking solid game with a great story. No bald max until about 6 or 7 chapters in. Flashbacks of Max in New Jersey killing guidos and mobsters prior to 3. Absolutely incredible gunplay. Like, if GTA5 doesn't have the shooting or feel weapons have in this and opts for the same shitty GTA4 shooting and cover then I'm not even gonna bother. This has the most satisfying combat, physics, everything. The difficultty was perfect and it only gets harder as you go up the ladder. On Medium it was still challenging and around the chapter 7 mark (there are 17 in total) it ramped up.

Please don't be the jaded shitheads you people usually are and play the goddamned game and enjoy it. It's the best game to come out this year so far.

Willie, stop making me jelly that I have to wait 1 week, 4 days and 12 hours for the PC version, you douche!:<

Please don't be the jaded shitheads you people usually are and play the goddamned game and enjoy it. It's the best game to come out this year so far.
See, I knew deep down it was this good. The lukewarm opinions can go to hell! They are the retarded ones because they are not saying what I want to hear.

PC version gitcho fatass ovah hiy.

See, I knew deep down it was this good. The lukewarm opinions can go to hell! They are the retarded ones because they are not saying what I want to hear.
Heh. This is what I tell myself about games. But I haven't seen any legitimate complaints in a single review. It's all the same thing: too difficult or too long. One of the last few chapters drags out a bit long, but that's about it.

Oh, I should mention in Score Attack and New York Minute you can play as Max Payne 1's Max. Low res model, the face and everything. The face expresses along with the same mocapped expressions for Max's normal skin and it looks horrifying.

Captain Baseball Bat Boy is back too. People also yell out male genitalia for no apparent reason.

Oh, I should mention in Score Attack and New York Minute you can play as Max Payne 1's Max. Low res model, the face and everything. The face expresses along with the same mocapped expressions for Max's normal skin and it looks horrifying.

Captain Baseball Bat Boy is back too. People also yell out male genitalia for no apparent reason.
Yep, buying this as soon as I can afford it.

That sounds hilarious.

Sam Lake will forever be remembered fro that face, LOL.

it's anything, but a max payne game.

is it a good game? yes.
is it a max payne game? no.

Care to elaborate? Honestly curious as I haven't played or seen much gameplay.

I've watched the entire walkthrough on YouTube. It's like a mix between Freedom Fighters, and Syphon Filter games. Not a bad game, but it's not Max Payne. Also I'm a not a huge fan of the annoying sidekicks (forced humor much).

So what? Do I really have to pay sixty bucks, or pirate it to see how shitty the game is? It's not a Max Payne game. It's a generic, third person shooter set in Brazil. Max Payne is not a mercenary. He's a man with troubled past. This is not his history.

Oh, and Rockstar can't do drama.

so ****ing what? do you really need to pay 60, or pirate it to see how shitty the game is? this is not a max payne game. it's a generic, third person shooter set in brazilia. max payne is not a mercenary. he's a man with troubled past. this is not his history.

oh, and rockstar can't do drama.

your toys out of the pram attitude never ceases to make me chuckle. ''oh they changed my beloved max payne, i refuse to buy your product but i'm happy to sit through hours of youtube videos to form an opinion. listen to my opinion now everyone''

get stuffed you miserable old stick in the mud. play the game and i'll appreciate your opinion, but coming in here for a piss and a moan when you haven't even played the game is ridiculous.

is it a good game? yes.

do you really need to pay 60, or pirate it to see how shitty the game is?

I've watched the entire walkthrough on YouTube.

Are you/were you drunk?

No, I'm not. Like I said, the gameplay looks fun, but the rest of the game is shit - and it's not about the location. The story is just bad. Just look at the New York level: a crazy guy (a war veteran) comes out of his room and saves Max from a bad guy. Then he goes jihad (with a hand grenade) on other bad guys. It's so random. it's like a scene out of a Grand Theft Auto game.

I'm not going to pay Rockstar for another shitty pc port. gta4, la noire, bully, all 3 terrible pc ports.

free copy of LA Noire if you pre-order MP3 on Steam

Barnz did you even play the first two? Crazy shit happened constantly. Remember Vinny in his Captain Baseball Bat Boy suit? The old lady in her apartment blowing away bad guys with a shotgun?

The old lady in her apartment blowing away bad guys with a shotgun?
Not to mention the hobo and the prostitute who provide covering fire for you on that same level.

PANICKY EDIT: I begged for a gift of LA:N but it looks like I already have it anyway, due to pre-ordering in the before times. You will forget that I begged.

Barnz did you even play the first two? Crazy shit happened constantly. Remember Vinny in his Captain Baseball Bat Boy suit? The old lady in her apartment blowing away bad guys with a shotgun?

Or, you know, the hours spent catching cultists and random junkies who give clues to even more ridiculous Marvel type super villains. Absurdity defines Payne. If anything, Remedy designed the stories to satire the Noir genre.

Waiting for the PC version to watch any actual media--but even if the game isn't a good "Payne" game but serves as a good tps, it'll be a welcome relief from the oh so srs turn the genre has taken.

enjoy your ****ing max theft auto 3.

>a crazy hobo saves max payne
>and he blows up himself with a grenade

yeah, right. that's totally max payne.

wow 30 gig download and no ****ing pre-loading. Thats pretty shitty right there :/

24 hour download at 300kb/s

Yeah, ~30GB is crazy. I just bought a physical copy and installed from DVDs.

Enjoying it so far, I'm on chapter VI I think. I'm playing the game on Normal but I find it pretty challenging actually. There seem to be a few minor annoyances like Max switching to a 1 hand weapon each cut-scene and choosing a two-handed weapon with the scroll-wheel DROPS it (?), but the game plays really well.

Also, the golden guns bussiness - I've yet to "assemble" one. Perhaps I should explore more, but it kind of detracts from the flow of the game IMHO, especially considering the fact that Max verbally rushes you (with good reason), so I just play the game "realistically".

I played the first 2 games about a month ago in preparation for this and I really can't understand why people are being so butthurt about how Max Payne 3 plays.

In my opinion its a pretty good example of what a sequel should do and be. An updated/more powerful engine, a new set of story arcs which references the prior ones but manage to be mostly stand alone, new/tweaked/improved gameplay while adding a steady amount of brand new content (in this case multiplayer). This feels like a Max Payne game, yeah it includes a cover system but its a really good cover system that works pretty well, definitely one of the best I've seen.

The multiplayer is a fantastic edition with plenty of game modes/customization to satisfy any kind of player (I'm a Payne Killer guy myself). The single player feels nice and paced, with some solid writing and brilliant voice acting. One of the singleplayer's strengths is how it well it flows thanks to Rockstar hiding the loading screens behind cutscenes/dialogue. I'm about 5 chapters in so far and the story line is holding up pretty well, not the best Rockstar has ever produced but way above average for most games released these days, and easily better than the first two Max Payne games.

I've been playing a lot of it over the past few days and my mind is being quite nicely blown. I'm up to chapter 7 and can happily say that very few games have been as fun a ride as this. The gunplay is silky smooth, immediately bringing Max Payne 2 to mind, although the brutality is ramped up twentyfold. In terms of difficulty, it has already humbled me a bit because I started on Hard and then felt I should restart on Medium, since so many people said it's easy early on yet I died half a dozen times on one part in Chapter 3. On Medium, I don't really feel like I'm dying much less than I was on Hard. Visually, it looks amazing and performs brilliantly for me even with 4xMSAA and everything set to Very High (Shadows set merely to 'High' are my one concession to vid memory).

The story, setting and even the visual style (eg. random dialogue being transcribed into quirky subtitles) are, um... inspired, shall we say, very strongly by Man On Fire, Tony Scott's film. Hell, the game is basically Max on Fire starring Paynzel Washington. I have no problem with that, since I liked that film. As a game this is more of an accomplishment than that film was, though. The voicing is top notch and there are a lot of clever little script flourishes, mostly between Max and Passos. Max's 'What am I, the button-pushing guy?', when calling an elevator for the both of them, was a cute little update of the player-interactivity joke Valve used in A Red Letter Day in HL2. On the whole it's a little too cutscene-heavy though.

As for comparison to the earlier games, the character of Payne feels intact, but there's no doubting that it lacks the surreality and nightmarish atmosphere. The only time Max slips into a grief-ridden hallucination - so far, at least - is for about 5 seconds in the cinematic intro. Still, the tone of the game is solid and if R* decided that type of sequence didn't fit then I'm content for them to have kept them out rather than attempt to crowbar them in. It feels as if stomach churning, gory combat imagery is this game's replacement for feverish nightmares. Once again, I have no real problem with that.

BUTT. There are some horrible design decisions, stinking faintly of consolitis. Checkpoint-only saves? Really? No wait, checkpoint-only saves that randomly wipe all your progress without warning??? I've had to play through chapters 1-3 three times already, because apparently sticking a virtual bookmark in the game to save your progress was an impossible thing to get right. Oh hi there GFWL, I didn't recognise you in your dirty orange Rockstar Games Social Club disguise - could it be that this is all your fault? Also there are some mouse acceleration issues.

Finally, a lot of people are having trouble even getting the game to start and are (successfully) solving their problems by switching to a cracked exe. Pirates win again.

For a game this good it would have been nice to have seen a PC launch without these predictable, dumb hiccups.

Finally, a lot of people are having trouble even getting the game to start and are (successfully) solving their problems by switching to a cracked exe. Pirates win again.

For a game this good it would have been nice to have seen a PC launch without these predictable, dumb hiccups.

This is me. Spent all day trying to get the game I paid for to work only being able to play it by switching certain files. It's an issue Rockstar still haven't solved. Game is great though, looks loads better on PC than my PS3 version. Now they just need some direct aiming in like Remedy did with the PC version of Alan Wake and I'll be happy, oh and of course making sure I can actually play the damn thing from Steam.

Here's my vid of the first 30 mins on PC.

There's a lot of troubleshooting help you can find just by Googling. Reinstalling social club from the game files helps a lot of folks--as does validating the game files, updating your .net framework, updating direct X and graphics drivers, etc -- also make sure the exe is running the game as administrator -- and if that doesn't work try setting it to run in Vista SP2 compatibility mode, but do not run the game directly from its folder. There's a support page for the question by way of Rockstar and info on it on the Payne 3 Steam board.

My problem turned out to be the game just wasn't alerting me that social club wasn't logging in properly. I pressed Home when it was stuck on initializing (after the cache validating via steam and reinstalling RSC), logged in with my new social club password, and everything worked itself out and I was able to beat the game.

Good luck folks. Sucks, because once you actually play it's relatively seamless fun.

My game initially crashed right after the first screen ("Rockstar something blah blah"), but updating my GPU drivers fixed that. Then the game crashed twice in roughly the same place in one of the chapters in the middle of the game, but the third time worked :?

FINALLY ITS DOWNLOADED!

And it dosnt work.

Click game on steam... Black screen... crash back to windows.. woooppiee

FINALLY ITS DOWNLOADED!

And it dosnt work.

Click game on steam... Black screen... crash back to windows.. woooppiee

Try running as admin (the .exe file, not through steam) or updating the drivers. Some people got it to work like this. I had to resort to other methods though.

wtf.. Ive just uppdated the video card drivers and the whole game has vanished... It's deleted 30gig of content in an instant? That was three days worth of downloading right there... ffs this is retarded.

wtf.. Ive just uppdated the video card drivers and the whole game has vanished... It's deleted 30gig of content in an instant? That was three days worth of downloading right there... ffs this is retarded.
What is telling you that it's vanished? Navigate to your 'Steam\steamapps\common\max payne 3\Max Payne 3' folder and see what's there.

If it has turned yellow/uninstalled in your Steam Library list, sometimes it's just a matter of Steam forgetting that the game is installed. If you attempt to 'install' from there, most often it will turn white/installed once more.

Wow by the sounds of it I've been lucky. All I've encountered is a couple of crashes during movies and I've never lost any progress.

I've yet to try the multiplayer. Are any of you playing it regularly? Add Ren182 to R*'s social club and I'll join you if I see you on there :)

What is telling you that it's vanished? Navigate to your 'Steam\steamapps\common\max payne 3\Max Payne 3' folder and see what's there.

If it has turned yellow/uninstalled in your Steam Library list, sometimes it's just a matter of Steam forgetting that the game is installed. If you attempt to 'install' from there, most often it will turn white/installed once more.

After then install I had 10 gig left on the drive. Now there is 40. No idea whats happened. The max payne 3 folder is empty :/ 6 hours left on the download.

I've yet to try the multiplayer. Are any of you playing it regularly? Add Ren182 to R*'s social club and I'll join you if I see you on there :)

I've played it for a few minutes and I didn't really like it. Granted I only played the TDM modes (I think you have to unlock the others :?). I didn't really dig into it and it's not immediately apparent how all this works (for example what's the point of looting bodies) - it's all probably in the manual somewhere. But it didn't initially grip me, so I didn't play it for long enough to find out - perhaps will give it a try later. I'll add you. :)

Unskippable cutscenes. Cutscenes that you can't exit the game from. **** you.
Oh yeah, and stop switching my weapon after a cutscene. I went to considerable lengths to get this AK47, and now I'm suddenly using a pistol instead. **** you again.

Unskippable cutscenes. Cutscenes that you can't exit the game from. **** you.
Oh yeah, and stop switching my weapon after a cutscene. I went to considerable lengths to get this AK47, and now I'm suddenly using a pistol instead. **** you again.

Since I did one playthrough, the unskippable cutscenes didn't bother me (bar this one moment when I had to watch one 3 times, cause the game crashed twice in the same spot) - probably will in playthrough 2. As for weapon switching - I found this annoying as well, but you make it sound as if you lost your AK47, when you can switch back to it.

I'm around Chapter 13 now and the cutscenes have really started to wear on my nerves. There's one chapter, Chapter 11 I think, where almost every single group of enemies and every single door is preceded by a cutscene of Max approaching cautiously and pondering to himself about what's coming next. It's a baffling design decision because surely it involved a lot more work for R* and is certainly a lot less satisfying to play through. Did they forget they could just make Max say a variation of 'I WUNDERED WAT WAZ NEXT' without breaking gameplay? It's like they went crazy in the rotoscoping studio.

I guess maybe they found it easier to create a string of set pieces interspersed with cinematics, rather than a whole fluid level.
I found this annoying as well, but you make it sound as if you lost your AK47, when you can switch back to it.
Thing is, sometimes you do lose your big weapon, either because the game places you in a new set piece without it, or it starts you in cover where it's suicide to use it instead of the quicker firing handgun that's already in your hand. Then the gunfight ends and even if you do switch back to the AK you might not get a chance to use it before another cutscene weapon-switch :/

Apparently cutscenes are skippable in Arcade Mode though.

Back