me have question

Danimal

Companion Cube
Reaction score
After looking at the new screenshots I noticed the graphics have improved (especially on the alien slave). I was wondering if the game needs a better computer than before the graphics improved...

Also, if I turn the gfx to the lowest. Will it be crappy graphics or like CoD's high gfx (My computer isnt good enough for high for HL2 but good enoguh for high on CoD)

Hard to say,
I THINK that the minimum requirements did increase over the year of extra development. But I could not tell you to what

just for the people who need to know my specs are:

Stuff that I know is relevant
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4MB)
256 MB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128MB)

stuff that may or may not be relevant
ACPI Uniprocessor PC
NVIDIA nForce MCP Audio Processing Unit

I believe they increased the base cpu requirement to 2.0ghz but I could be wrong.

Just so you know PCG Uk recommends a 2.4 Ghz 512 RAM & DX9 GFX card :)

Danimal: your sig is far too long. Shorten it please.

I am talking about the minimum requirements, not the reccomended

you'll be able to play it, but only at the very minimum settings, and then at about 10fps.

you'll be able to play it.

Mr. Redundant said:
I believe they increased the base cpu requirement to 2.0ghz but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure it was 1GHz.

Danimal, upgrade your RAM (maybe double it) and your graphics card, and you should run it just fine, albeit probably not at the highest settings.

I think it was 1.2 ghz, mine is 1.4 so I dont need to worry about that. When I saw the minimum requirements (forgot where it was long ago) I was fine for minimum

well it will be interesting to see if valve fixed the bug where if lots of physics objects are blown up at the same time the game freezes. :/

I can see lower end CPUs having trouble with this.

i got 1.7 p4, 786 mb ddr, 128mb radeon pro, n e 1 kno wot ill got?

rf

Would it be possible to make the physics calculations as scalable as the graphics?

Wraithen said:
Would it be possible to make the physics calculations as scalable as the graphics?

You could probably disable all the useless static props just like in CS but no I don't you could go beyond that.

On the bottom of one of the new HL2 reviews (it gave a 96% score if it helps) had minimum on the very btoom of the page. I am above the minimum but below the reccomended :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Now we are done talking about the proccessor, can someone answer my 2nd questin?

Will HL2 look really rushed and crap if it is on the low gfx settings?

I dunno if we can say what it'll look like on the lowest settings until someone tries them. Maybe a CS:S player could drop us a hint? What do the graphics in CS:S look like on low detail?

Of course, it probably has a lot to do with the quality of the art, too...

Your game will run but it might be a little fugly thanks to your graphics card (not HL2 friendly, much neways) and because of your RAM combined with only 1,4 G processor.

You need more memory, check how the game runs and if it is fugly and slow, then change either graphics or both, processor AND graphics.

AMD 1.8 Ghz
Radeon 9800 Oro 128mb
1024 mb DDR333 RAM

Those are enough to run the game with decent, maybe even high graphics and still making it enjoyable. My system that is...

AMD athlon 2.1 ghz
512 ddr ram, gonna get another 256 if i can get the money
ati radeon 9800 pro 128 mb

I think its gonna run ok what do ya think?

Danimal said:
just for the people who need to know my specs are:

Stuff that I know is relevant
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4MB)
256 MB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128MB)

stuff that may or may not be relevant
ACPI Uniprocessor PC
NVIDIA nForce MCP Audio Processing Unit

Dude, the FX 5400 runs CS:S on high settings at 800 x 600 really well, I cant see you having any problems at medium to high settings 2bh aslong as you dont put your resolution up too high, or have any AA or AF settings on, + if you dont want to spend too much, look into the ATI 9600 series, they are the perfect mid ground.

Source seems to be really adaptable, even the Voodoo 3 works fine with it, lol, :) on low to medium settings.

quote from PCG Magazine:

"They(Valve) Say 1.2GHz CPU, 256MB, DX7 3D Card, Net Connection. We Say 2.4GHz CPU, 512MB RAM, DX9 3D card, Net Connection"

Edited:

Just noticed.. No multiplayer :frown:
So why did they say "Net Connection"?

CLASSIFIED said:
Just noticed.. No multiplayer :frown:
So why did they say "Net Connection"?

CS:S might e the answer to the Net Connection or for auitomated updates

clarky003 said:
Dude, the FX 5400 runs CS:S on high settings at 800 x 600 really well, I cant see you having any problems at medium to high settings 2bh aslong as you dont put your resolution up too high, or have any AA or AF settings on, + if you dont want to spend too much, look into the ATI 9600 series, they are the perfect mid ground.

Source seems to be really adaptable, even the Voodoo 3 works fine with it, lol, :) on low to medium settings.

I doubt that but it made me think, I will upgrade my computer when I get the money anyway.

Well I have 1,5 GHz and Radeon 9600XT and Doom3 went trough whit flying colours and I had medium settings on. Resolution was 1024 x 768. It looked beatifull. I did a little comparison whit my friends "super PC" and it looked almost the same but it runned a little beter.

[edit] also 512 RAM

Wraithen said:

I'm guessing that there'l be a recommended stress test on the game, and if your pc starts to struggle with physics, they'l remove some of the inanimate objects from the game.

Also hopefully they re-include physics objects when they're visible or within a certain distance, because the way i see it, even though a box is stationary, its still working out if its being pushed and at what force and how to fall with gravity and what sound so that puts unnecessary load on the cpu.

Saying that i dont have to worry, i have 3ghz p4, 1gig 3200 ram, ati rad 9800pro :p bring't'ooon!

rumblefish said:
i got 1.7 p4, 786 mb ddr, 128mb radeon pro, n e 1 kno wot ill got?

rf
Wow someone fell asleep on his keyboard obviously!
I once saw it on a lan gone bad, some guy high on pot was sitting there laughing like an idiot then he fell asleep with his head on his keyboard. When he woke up the layout was clearly visible in his face.

got an ALIENWARE AURORA f**king extrenme computer yeterday.
so i'll run HL2 at the absolute maximum settings.. and probably a lot of games in the future too....
But i got it in first hand becaus a make music. [Takes a lot of cpu when it gets advanced]
Music And HL2 =)

Is0 the Reccomended setting for high quality gfx?

It is the older men that declare war, it is the youth that must fight and die

Danimal said:

lol, are you feeling alright?

Danimal said:
Yeah, sounds much better then 'bump', wich we dont like around here.

My observations tell me, once you have 512mb of ram and a dx9 card. The CPU becomes the bottleneck. just my thoughts.

Danimal said:
After looking at the new screenshots I noticed the graphics have improved (especially on the alien slave). I was wondering if the game needs a better computer than before the graphics improved...

Also, if I turn the gfx to the lowest. Will it be crappy graphics or like CoD's high gfx (My computer isnt good enough for high for HL2 but good enoguh for high on CoD)

this is the specs thay used at of of the e3 shows , to show of hl-2 ..... Dell XPS, 2.8 GHz P-IV, ATI Radeon 9800 128 MB RAM. Anti-aliasing off, anisotropic filtering off. 60 FPS ......

Back