Metal Gear Fans-Peace Walker Thoughts

So far I am maybe 2 1/2 hours in and my thoughts on the game are pretty good. I have finally sighted the flying vehicle that I was worried about. The design of that damn ship just bothers me. They are really pushin the boundaries on what technology was actually possible in 1974. I know its metal gear and they had crazy designs in the games taking place early in the time line, but this one is really pushin it. The main storyline though has me interested so we will see. I usually forgive such things if the story is quite good. I am too much of a fan for my own good.

Didn't the have like jetpacks in MGS3? Those hover thingies?

Silly Kojima.

Ya they had hover platforms, but that was not much of a stretch because that is like something you would see in a 60's james bond movie or something. Which mgs 3 reminded me about in a lot of aspects. The ship looks like something out of terminator.

4501503105_552c88c500.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SZVkwlWfhk

So far I am maybe 2 1/2 hours in and my thoughts on the game are pretty good. I have finally sighted the flying vehicle that I was worried about. The design of that damn ship just bothers me. They are really pushin the boundaries on what technology was actually possible in 1974. I know its metal gear and they had crazy designs in the games taking place early in the time line, but this one is really pushin it. The main storyline though has me interested so we will see. I usually forgive such things if the story is quite good. I am too much of a fan for my own good.

I wouldn't call it just pushing, I would call it actually breaking the boundaries, if anything those flying mechs feel more sci-fi than REX, and REX was created in the early 2000s, no?

The story in MGS is good?

Been reading up on the series plots again just to make sure I can remember character names from previous iterations, but damn the series as a whole have a lot of names to keep track off and relationships.

It seems my memory capacity is insufficient these days to remember all the names of characters across multiple video games etc.

Oh yes, the story for the whole mgs series is excellent , many people just write off the series as just some stealth action game and just play them for the hell of it. But when you play for the story it is one of the most emotional experiences you will have in video games

Uh, not really. Being a tear jerker =/= most emotional story.

Kojima doesn't even know how to tell a story, let alone implement it as a videogame narrative.

he should get into the movie business.

Best Metal Gear story was in the graphic novels, written by Alex Garner and Kris Oprisko. Not Kojima.

Acepilot and Gargantou what do you guys think of the overall story?

It's so batshit crazy, I just love it. Metal gears and shagohods and fox unit and nanomachines and The Boss and so much holy shit it's so cool.

If you're expecting Shakespeare, you should stop playing video games.

LIQUIIIIIID

I'm going to go sell my wii and some 360 games(it finally broke and last game I wanted on the wii was MH3 and I burned myself out on that) to go buy a PSP and peace walker

Best Metal Gear story was in the graphic novels, written by Alex Garner and Kris Oprisko. Not Kojima.

Have you read the novels written by Raymond Benson?

I've been told they are the best Metal Gear products storywise, even better than the graphic novels.

Anyway, I kinda like the story in the MGS games to some extent, it may not be the greatest video game story out there but I still find it to be more enjoyable than most.

Have you read the novels written by Raymond Benson?

I've been told they are the best Metal Gear products storywise, even better than the graphic novels.
No, I have so many other books to buy and read first, maybe one day...

Oh, and MGS graphic novels (also available for PSP and DVD) have absolutely superb art by Ashley Wood.

Today I went to the local comic book shop and much to my surprise I found the Metal Gear Solid Omnibus! This collects both Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons of Liberty graphic novels by Ashley Wood. I have read the Metal Gear Solid novel, but not the 2nd one so I plan on reading it soon! Ashley Wood does have unique artwork that just jumps off the page

MAR101049.jpg

Have gotten past the first boss, the APC. This is ****in' awesome.

ya u will eventually figure out the bosses are as tough as hell. I died maybe 4 times on the second boss. I have beaten all the mgs games, but i think its just that I'm not used to the controls.

Loving the game so far, my only complaint is that there doesn't seem to really be any crazy characters as bosses.

Ya actually I've heard that all of the bosses are just vehicles. Which is a let down in my opinion, MGS games have been known for their ridiculous boss characters.

I'm still waiting on this to release over here(comes out on the 18th), but indeed, vehicle only is a bit of a shame, heck, even Portable Ops had decent non-vehicle bosses.

ya u will eventually figure out the bosses are as tough as hell. I died maybe 4 times on the second boss. I have beaten all the mgs games, but i think its just that I'm not used to the controls.

1. Sneak up behind dudes.
2. Hold up dudes.
3. Fulton
4. Repeat

well ya that is for the regular soldiers I've discovered that routine already. The bosses are the pain.

Such technique works on every boss but the AI battles and the AI battles are far easier than dealing with vehicle + troops.

Pupa - Stand in doorway it uses to leave the area for jump attack and shoot it lots
Chrysalis - shoot it lots
Cocoon - shoot it lots
Peacewalker: see above, dodge the odd charge and use chaff when it fires off it's anti rocket thing.
Zeke: As above.

It's all just time consuming really. It might be difficult early on when you lack equipment.

Hold up has been the new grab-and-choke since MGS4. I LOVED grab-and-choke. But holding up is much easier :l

Hold up has been the new grab-and-choke since MGS4. I LOVED grab-and-choke. But holding up is much easier :l

If you have the sneaking suit, it literally makes the game piss easy because all you need to do is dart around the map and hold up soldiers.

>fighting Huey gunship with an M60 on a helipad
>heaven's divide starts playing

jesus christ best ****ing game all years 10000000000/10101001

Okay, after actually doing all the extra missions and beating ZEKE, it's still pretty awesome months later.

Though, I must say the last mission ZEKE battle was made while Kojima was on crack or something, because fighting a half-naked batshit insane Paz while she pilots a self hot-wired Metal Gear while half-naked was a bit.

Iffy.

I stopped playing it a few days after I finished it, can't really see myself going back to play it now.:p

Not because of its gameplay but it just feels sorta pointless.

So is Peace Walker worth it? It was always the characters and the B-Movie action moments for me, but from what I've read in this thread makes it seems like vehicles without personality and an added date simulator.

Also are there unlockables and secret items for replayability?

Yes there are. And the game was pretty awesome, imo. Really good for the PSP. And they kept away from the philosophers until the very end, which was refreshing.

Ya the game was crammed with a ton of extra features, but ya one of my biggest gripes was that there was no human bosses, just machines. There is a monster hunter mode that can be unlocked and a ton of other side missions so, it is def worth checking out.

Yes there are. And the game was pretty awesome, imo. Really good for the PSP. And they kept away from the philosophers until the very end, which was refreshing.

The CIPHER(PATRIOTS) are not the same as the Philosophers,
you do know that, right?

But yeah, PW was great for being a PSP MGS, easily the best, not sure if I think it's the best MGS ever though like some do.

Back