metro 2033 ruined my day

xcellerate

Tank
Reaction score
I started up metro 2033, had my mouse over the 'continue' button at the main menu but I walked away for a few moments. When I come back the menu is just starting to fade to black so it can start playing the game into again, but I click 'continue' right as it fades to black. The game starts, I hear the sounds, I can move around. But my screen is black.

So I alt+f4 thinking I'll just get back to windows and start it again, but windows is all black. I use the keyboard and start up winamp and play some music then navigate to zombo.com (sound) so I know windows is working properly.

I can't see the BIOS so there's definitely a serious issue going on. I'll play with it some more, but I just thought I'd mention how pissed off I am.

edit: pulled out the video card, started the machine, shut it off. Reinstalled the video card, seems to work now. Crazy ****ing game menus man.

I had the game installed on my PC, ran pretty smooth. then one day I switched to a lower Direct X setting to see if it would run silky smooth now I can't even access the game. I may have to re-install the game but I really don't have the patience to even try. The game was fun though so I bought a 360 copy for like $8 and I'll probably just restart it on there instead one day

It's a tough to game to run. It also has manliness sensors, and if you're below a certain threshold it won't let you play.

Sounds kinda like they dont have a framerate limiter on the menus, meaning your video card busts its ass to render as many frames per second as possible, meaning it was running at 100% load the entire time you were away, which can heat up your card a lot obviously. What was the dust situation in there like?

This is the first time anything like this has happened, and it'd be interesting if heat was the issue. I have a 5770, an i5-2500k, and 8gb of ram. I've got two 120mm fans plus the fan from my power supply is below my video card. I know I've played metro for over an hour in the past with no problems also. I went back and finished the last 4 levels of metro without a problem, so maybe it was just a one-time deal, shit happens I guess.

It's a tough to game to run. It also has manliness sensors, and if you're below a certain threshold it won't let you play.
Indeed, Metro 2033 even makes my GTX 580 weep.

Supposedly Metro 2034 is gonna be better optimized though, which is nice if true.

There is no 2034 game. In fact, as much as 2033 deviated from the original book story, Last Light is said to be a completely different story from the 2034 book. Though Dmitri Glukhovsky, author of the book, was involved in the story making of both games, so they're worth looking forward to from that aspect as well.

Back