Microsoft Patents Drop-In Split Screen Co-Op

Warped

Reaction score
msdropin_patent.jpg

Microsoft has just received a patent for an interesting feature in squad based co-op shooters. US Patent #7559834 was filed back in 2002, but only just got approved by the United States Patent Office. From the description, timing and pictures - it appears to be for the 4 player co-op game Brute Force from the original Xbox.

A squad-based shooter video game allows players to dynamically join and leave the game, while that game is in progress, without the players having to save and restart the game. When a new player joins an in-progress game, a new squad member is allocated to the new player and the screen is split to present a viewing panel for the new player that depicts scenes from the perspective of the new squad member. When an existing player leaves the game, the screen is unsplit to remove the viewing panel for the exiting player and that player's squad member becomes part of the squad being controlled by the remaining player(s)

The patent is very specific to drop-in and drop-out play local to a console, and more specifically, it describes a feature we really haven't seen much in co-op play. Dynamic split screen creation, like that in the recent Resident Evil 5 allows a player to join at any time having the game create two sets of player views. I'd think RE5 wouldn't fall under this patent because the game is not a squad based game.

Other details in the patent include the ability to switch between squad members on the fly, AI controlled squad mates when not in player control, and hardware details of how it functions.

There doesn't appear to be any mention of online play in the patent.

Hopefully something like this doesn't have a negative affect on other developers trying to implement a similar feature. As we mentioned earlier, I can only think of one title other than Brute Force that implemented this method of split screen drop-in/drop-out co-op play.

What are your thoughts on algorithmic solutions and gameplay methods being patentable?
http://www.co-optimus.com/article/2220/Microsoft_Patents_Drop-in_Split_Screen_Co-Op.html

this is just as bad as patenting individual genes (started in 1907 with Adrenaline)
I think this will be one giant step behind and the people at the US patent offices suck balls. you shouldn't be able to patent ideas, just physical entities. like can i go out and patent the word, "the"?? or how about the patent on string theory?? geezus people write a book, but don't stamp your logo on everything known to man to get a buck

Why the hell would they use Brute Force for that patent pic? Biggest waste of $60. Bait and switch trailers suck.

I got Brute Force for about $10 and I still wanted my money back

Yay Microsoft, bringing back the gaming glory!

the 1st creator of the jump option should patent that as well, and make millions!

Apart from anything else ... why would you need a split screen to play co-op if you weren't all playing on a single machine?

Patent gameplay mechanics?

My thoughts = wut
Hey, if you can patent genes that every single human has, why wouldn't you be able to patent gameplay mechanics?

It just shows how absurd the United States patent system is.

Hey, if you can patent genes that every single human has, why wouldn't you be able to patent gameplay mechanics?

It just shows how absurd the United States patent system is.

Not just the patent system, but the entire legal system here need s a complete overhaul. Supreme court justices should have limited terms.

They don't have that already? Oh wait right.. I think I remember now.. They're appointed until they die, right?

They don't have that already? Oh wait right.. I think I remember now.. They're appointed until they die, right?

The logic behind that is that they cannot be corrupted, no pressure on loosing the job and thus a loss of money, so not bribes.

However the fact still stands that the American legal system sucks - patenting a very simple idea doesn't make much sense, but will make Microsoft dollars.

Back