Mighty Mice Regrow Own Vital Organs

Nat Turner

Reaction score
http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,68962,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_1

Genetically altered mice discovered accidentally at the Wistar Institute in Pennsylvania have the seemingly miraculous ability to regenerate like a salamander, and even regrow vital organs.

Researchers systematically amputated digits and damaged various organs of the mice, including the heart, liver and brain, most of which grew back.
* Story Images

Click thumbnails for full-size image:
After Wistar Institute researchers pierced the ear of a genetically altered mouse (bottom row), the stunned scientists noted that the hole quickly healed without a trace of a scar. The healing progression of a normal mouse is shown in the top row.

The results stunned scientists because if such regeneration is possible in this mammal, it might also be possible in humans.

The researchers also made a remarkable second discovery: When cells from the regenerative mice were injected into normal mice, the normal mice adopted the ability to regenerate. And when the special mice bred with normal mice, their offspring inherited souped-up regeneration capabilities.

The mice, known as the MRL strain, were genetically engineered and inbred to develop lupus. But researchers don't know why exactly the animals' injuries heal so well.

"If we identified the molecules that allow mice that don't regenerate to regenerate ... and I think we could be close to doing that, then I think the next step is to consider what these molecules would do in individuals," said Ellen Heber-Katz, a professor of molecular and cellular oncogenesis at Wistar, located on the University of Pennsylvania campus in Philadelphia.

Heber-Katz discovered the strain in 1998 accidentally while working with mice altered genetically for studying autoimmune diseases.

She had pierced holes in the ears of the genetically altered mice to distinguish them from a control group, but they healed quickly with no scarring.

She and her colleagues wanted to find out what other parts of this strain of mice would grow back, so they snipped off the tip of a tail, severed a spinal cord, poked an eye and cauterized various internal organs.

The incredible wound-healing they observed abruptly shifted the focus of Heber-Katz's lab's research from autoimmune disease to regenerative medicine. The researchers began hunting for the specific genes that gave the mice their special powers. They are focusing on three specific genes at the moment, but she suspects that many more likely contribute to the regenerative abilities.

While some amphibians can regrow body parts, mammals for the most part do not have that ability, making this a very special mouse indeed. If the results can be translated to humans, it would be a dream come true for people who want to live forever.

"When those genes (responsible for the mice regeneration) are found, we can start to think about manipulating them in humans with drugs or (later) gene therapy, thereby enhancing our own regeneration," said Aubrey de Grey, a longevity expert and editor of the scientific journal Rejuvenation Research.

Other labs have also begun to join the investigation.

The mice seem to exhibit regenerative capabilities similar to that of human fetuses in the first trimester, said Dr. Stephen Badylak, a surgery research professor and director of the Center for Pre-Clinical Tissue Engineering at the University of Pittsburgh's McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine.

"It offers us insight into a more fetal-like healing response, where scar tissue is minimal and regeneration is abundant," Badylak said. "It's a great model to examine healing mechanisms and use that information to see if we can stimulate the same thing to happen in people."

Heber-Katz said she will soon publish her results on digit regrowth in a peer-reviewed medical journal.

Heber-Katz presented new data showing that the strain of mice can also grow back severed digits at the Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence conference in Cambridge, England. ("Engineered negligible senescence" is a fancy term for life extension.)

Sweet. Now I'm more positive than ever that I'll live for at least 1,000 years.

This better not be a joke.

not unless they come for you.........

But anyway, the longer I live the better. It's got to be a joke though.

This is a major breakthrough in medical science, but I can't help but wonder-

If I injected myself with mighty mouse juice and cut of the tip of my penis, would it grow back longer? :O

Nat Turner said:
Sweet. Now I'm more positive than ever that I'll live for at least 1,000 years.

This better not be a joke.

I don't believe its a joke. It has been in a couple of scientific magazine.

It might be harder to apply it to humans as our bodies are more heavy duty. If they were capable of doing this, then they have found one of many "Holy Grails" of Science

Q: How many Holy Grails of Science are there? I'm pretty sure so far, there is only ten

Anybody else feel a little sorry for the mice. Getting limbs cut off and all? No....?

OK then.

The human body is so much more complex then a mouse, I wonder how effective it would be for us. Although, growing back a hand after your wife cut it off in a heated arguement over spaghetti would be useful.

We're not that different, actually, because we're both mammals. Why do you think they test everything on lab mice and rats before trying stuff on pigs or monkeys, then humans?

If it's not a joke, then...well, **** me sideways. Then cut off my leg and take it as a souvenier, because I can grow a new one no problem!

What we don't know is how fast the regeneration actually is. They didn't tell us a timeframe.

"Yeah sure we can freeze a human heart, inject them with this regeneration syrum and watch them come back to life.... Sure they're going to be brain damaged beyond belief but they're alive aren't they?"

I think there are so many things seperating humans from animals.

dekstar said:
What we don't know is how fast the regeneration actually is. They didn't tell us a timeframe.

"Yeah sure we can freeze a human heart, inject them with this regeneration syrum and watch them come back to life.... Sure they're going to be brain damaged beyond belief but they're alive aren't they?"

I think there are so many things seperating humans from animals.

Humans are biologically animals. lol

The only part of the human body that is really any more complicated in design than a mouse is our brain and nervous system.

Also when they talk about a time frame I suspect there it would take about the same amount of time to heal a damaged organ as it would take to heal an equally damaged bone (depending on how you define equal that is).

Of course this is all assuming this lab has in fact discovered such a scientific holy grail.

oldzor:p
was posted a few weeks ago!:p still well cool lets home they dont escape and multiply :p

Nat Turner said:
Humans are biologically animals. lol

The Mullinator said:
The only part of the human body that is really any more complicated in design than a mouse is our brain and nervous system.
If the heart stops beating for more than 6 minutes permanent brain damage can occur. That's the point I was making. You can't tell when a rat has brain damage (Well you can, sometimes).

short recoil said:
ZOMG! i want that ability!!!
Yeah but because our body parts are bigger than a rat's, then they might take longer to regrow. Not to mention the amount of Energy from foods needed to regrow a whole arm.

Yeah sure you're going to get your legs back Mrs. Anderson, but you'll be annorexic for the rest of your life.

short recoil said:
ZOMG! i want that ability!!!

Search deep within yourself... you have it, however the ability has not yet been harnessed. Training is the key.

dekstar said:
Yeah but because our body parts are bigger than a rat's, then they might take longer to regrow. Not to mention the amount of Energy from foods needed to regrow a whole arm.

Yeah sure you're going to get your legs back Mrs. Anderson, but you'll be annorexic for the rest of your life.
Heh, energy aint a problem for me, i'm on 4,000-5,000 calories a day near enough :LOL:

I can see it now:

"Oh my god! What happened to your arm?!?"

"Oh, that? I'm just trying to lose some weight. It beats having to exercise."

OCybrManO said:
I can see it now:

"Oh my god! What happened to your arm?!?"

"Oh, that? I'm just trying to lose some weight. It beats having to exercise."

so...u have already thought of it huh? :E
yay for the age of mutants? :)

its not like when you get old there gonna chop out the old stuff and let you regrow it back all new, 1. Morally it's just disgusting if people are ever allowed to use the technique willy nilly for lengthening their life, as it will tend to favour the rich 2. It should only be used in cases where a patient is critically ill, and cant obtain a donor, or if you loose something in an accident.

I wouldnt want to live for too long anyway.. it would get boring, death is overated.. id like to see what the 'supposed' nothingness is actually like, because sometimes I simply cant stand being physically human.

Hmm, I think it's more about providing organ doners immediately, eg liver transplants whereas otherwise people would have to be on a waiting list.

Although would be handy if I could grow another arm if I just lost one in an arguement.

As ever, it will favour the rich, unless you have a fair national health service.

But maybe living forever ain't so bad, if you can rejuvenate your brain also :E

Back