Mobo problem?

TCfromBN

Reaction score
Last week my computer started crashing every few minutes about three times in a row, I'd boot up and it would crash within a few minutes each time. Well, the last time it crashed, it would power back on, but no video, none from the PCI-E 6600 gtoc or the 5500 thats built in to the mobo. We called up gateway, and they said that it was most likely a motherboard problem. My dad seems to think that it could be that or the powersupply. Since the computer is still under warrenty, were sending it back to gateway to be revived over the next few weeks and they said it would take them 7 days to fix the problem D: . I was wondering what you guys think the problem is. I'm considering getting a new mobo and a dx10 card when they come out so I was on the verge of buying a new mobo anyway. But since they said they would replace it for free, I guess I'll have to go a few weeks without it untill Gateway decides that they need to make more room in their wearhouse for more crapy computers that need to be fixed.:flame:

Will, it is been a while since I bought brand name PCs like Gateway, I now build my own stuff so I don't know the quality of their products any longer.
Frequent reboots are usually caused by anything, from hardware to software to hardware/software drivers. It's hard to nail down the source of the crash and will need lots of effort.
The usual suspects are: Bad memory modules, Bad GPU (Overheating), CPU Overheating, Insufficient PSU (Overloaded/poor quality), Overheated North/South bridge chip, Bad/overheating HDD, corrupted driver, the list goes on and on.

Good Luck.

I'll try to look into all of thoes before I send it off, thanks for your help.

check that the power supply fan is still running mine was doing the same thing and my fan was not running i just replaced the fan on the psu

All fans are running including the PSU fan.

Edit: Interestingly enough, my comp has revived itself. I had the power cord unpluged last night because of a storm and when I plugged it back in it booted up. Nothing in the system logs either. Weird.

Back