Mom keeps pet's death secret.

hool10

Tank
Reaction score
Just found this on CNN and there is some really crazy stuff on there but this is thread worthy.

(CNN) -- The moment I saw that guinea pig's corpse, I made up my mind. I would not tell my son Checkers was dead ... at least not that night. Drew had five tests within the next two days. I wasn't going to let grief jeopardize his grades.

In what seemed like one move, I reach in the closet, dump shoes out of a box, grab Checkers, plunk the stiff in the box, run downstairs, stuff the cardboard casket into a plastic bag, dash to the garage trash can, finish rapid hand-washing and make it upstairs as my third-grader steps into the hall.
-By Christy Oglesby

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/personal/01/16/mom.son.dead.pet/index.html

"Son, Checkers is dead. I Threw him out in a shoe box in a plastic bag for Mondays trash. I'm sorry honey." -Christy Oglesby

kid_crying.jpg

Are you f***ing serious? I could see if the kid was in high school or college where the tests actually mattered....but third grade?

The kids seems really young, could the tests have been important? At all?

Sounds like the kid is a mommy boy. I mean literally:
"We're having storytime in my bed tonight!" I say breathlessly. My bed is off-limits except for nightmares, illness or Saturday morning. Drew's so excited about the treat, he runs for the king-sized sanctum without asking questions.

I mean read the article but we are talking about a kid who is probably 8-9 years old here.

*Piggyback rides?! OMFG!

tl:dr, can someone explain/quote a part when she did something crazy? Because from the sounds of it, this story is not crazy. Son's pet guinea pig, mom didn't want the kid to get sad, threw it away. *shrugs*

"We're having storytime in my bed tonight!" I say breathlessly. My bed is off-limits except for nightmares, illness or Saturday morning. Drew's so excited about the treat, he runs for the king-sized sanctum without asking questions.

This is pathetic.

People who have pet rodents.

I had one once. Thing drove me crazy. I was younger then the kid in this story.
What purpose do they serve? Can you teach them anything? No. Nothing.

They run around in their stupid wheel and look stupid and get heartattacks for nothing.

They also chew on wires and get electricuted.

When I was that age I used to have a guinea pig named Esquire and he was awesome. One day we fed him lettuce and he died. I was sad. We buried him in the woods behind our house and made a cross for him, even though he didnt have a soul and couldnt go to heaven.

The mom sounds like a real headcase. She admits she realized she was delaying his development.. for a test in third grade? If he can't handle this then the real world is gonna mess him up.

X_X

The picture made me lol though. :LOL:

Removing evidence from the scene of death, She could become a suspect.

The mom sounds like a real headcase. She admits she realized she was delaying his development.. for a test in third grade? If he can't handle this then the real world is gonna mess him up.

Pretty much this^

True story:

I was about five years old, and our roof had been damaged by a hail storm. When the roofers came, one of them accidentally left a burning cigarette on the roof. The tar on the roof caught on fire, and as they were trying to put it out, one of them knocked a platter of roofing tiles off the roof with his foot. The roofing tiles fell directly on top of our family dog, killing it.

My mother didn't tell us what had happened until I was 14. She said, "The dog had to go away because she was too old," and she bought us a new dog.

She cares more about her son's grades than his metal health! This woman shouldn't even be a mother if doesn't care about her son's feelings!

I remember when my first pet hyamster died, his name was speedy because I was 8-9 and un-original.

When he died I cried, it was a Saturday, I cried for ages, then I remember getting into the parents car, crying in the car, and then I remember I got a new hamster, I called him Fudge because he looked like vanilla icecream with hot fudge.

I lost a hamster and got a hamster within the same day, between school weeks, awesome.

I miss Speedy and Fudge.....

I remember the "funeral" my sister had for her dead hamster, also called Checkers.

It snowed ever so lightly and everything, dark mournful skies, very touching. :imu:

I actually cried the whole day when I was like 9 and lost a plastic ring that I got from a chocolate egg. So I can totally relate to this kid's sadness :(

I had a pet hamster named Max even though it was a girl. It would basically build it's nest and sleep in it's poop. It would bite you if you tried to pet it. It didn't do much and I thought it was hibernating but my parents knew what was going on. Then one day I was getting ready for the bus and it started to have like a seizure. My mom and I was watching and I'm crying as I watch my pet hamster die. Then it stopped breathing and my mom was like "don't touch it because it might have fleas!". :( Then all of a sudden it like came back to life and flipped over on its back gasping. At this my mom literally yelled "OH JUST DIE ALREADY"! I have never been more pissed off at my mom since then and she keeps saying sorry to this day. :hmph: Even worse was that since I missed the bus watching my pet hamster die, my mom actually drove me to school. My teacher made me stay after when lunch came and I told her what happened and I literally cried on her shoulder. I brought it in for like a show and tell as well. She sent me home but the entire day I was so sad.

Another story is that my moms hamster was poisoned. Her sister said the hampsters water smelt bad and put perfume in it. :x

*Oh and I buried my hamster in the back yard instead of putting it out for trash.

True story:

I was about five years old, and our roof had been damaged by a hail storm. When the roofers came, one of them accidentally left a burning cigarette on the roof. The tar on the roof caught on fire, and as they were trying to put it out, one of them knocked a platter of roofing tiles off the roof with his foot. The roofing tiles fell directly on top of our family dog, killing it.

My mother didn't tell us what had happened until I was 14. She said, "The dog had to go away because she was too old," and she bought us a new dog.

There is a dog buried somewhere in this story... Either by the carpenters or your mother, a cigarette does not get hot enough ignite the tar used on roofs.
Must have used some cheap shit if this is the case. But that makes no sense really.

I used to be a carpenter.

Another story is that my moms hamster was poisoned. Her sister said the hampsters water smelt bad and put perfume in it. :x

haha that reminds me of myself when I was young. I dropped a chunk of bologna in the fish tank because "they looked hungry". They died.

for a test in third grade? If he can't handle this then the real world is gonna mess him up.

Exactly He's in 3rd grade, he's not ready for the real world.

I had a cat once that my parents put down and didn't tell me until that Friday night because they didn't want me all upset during school. I don't really see anything wrong with what they did. If I was in their shoes I probably would do the same thing.

haha that reminds me of myself when I was young. I dropped a chunk of bologna in the fish tank because "they looked hungry". They died.

One of my art teachers had a fish tank with like 5 fish in it, and one day when he was out sick (thus leaving us with a substitute who didnt give a **** what we did) we all were like "lets feed his fish!" So we did. We only used the real fish food he had for them, but we did it for the whole 45 minute class. The next day he came in and they were all dead because they overate. He was pissed, but so was I because thats when I realized fish are ****ing idiots and I hate them.

There is a dog buried somewhere in this story... Either by the carpenters or your mother, a cigarette does not get hot enough ignite the tar used on roofs.
Must have used some cheap shit if this is the case. But that makes no sense really.

I used to be a carpenter.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I think she's still lying to us.

Either the roofers intentionally killed the dog, the fire was caused by something else, or my mother fabricated the story.

I do know that they filed a lawsuit against the roofers for killing the dog though.

Dude, yesterday morning my sister's guinea pig died. I almost started crying when Ma was telling her to say goodbye to Fluffy and my sister petted her one last time. It was really sad. So I went outside, found a place where the ground wasn't frozen, and buried ole' Fluffy.

Is it bad that I like to bury dead things? :|

I find it enjoyable to dig holes, and put something dead in there. One time I had to scrape some fox off the road that got chopped in half. I buried it. I could have thrown it in the dumpster, but I buried it. Another time my old dog ate a duck's head off. I could've thrown it in the dumpster, too. I can show you all of the places I've buried pets and random animals, and tell you which were there. Maybe I'll bring in pictures of the gravesites.

Dude, yesterday morning my sister's guinea pig died. I almost started crying when Ma was telling her to say goodbye to Fluffy and my sister petted her one last time. It was really sad. So I went outside, found a place where the ground wasn't frozen, and buried ole' Fluffy.

Is it bad that I like to bury dead things? :|

I find it enjoyable to dig holes, and put something dead in there. One time I had to scrape some fox off the road that got chopped in half. I buried it. I could have thrown it in the dumpster, but I buried it. Another time my old dog ate a duck's head off. I could've thrown it in the dumpster, too. I can show you all of the places I've buried pets and random animals, and tell you which were there. Maybe I'll bring in pictures of the gravesites.
n705.jpg

They're coming to get you Sgt.Tibbs.

She cares more about her son's grades than his metal health! This woman shouldn't even be a mother if doesn't care about her son's feelings!

She didnt want him to be distracted. I mean well. This whole story is messed up. But as a parent you would want your child to succeed, i assume he is the first child and therefore she is new as a parent, in that case shed probably want him to be focused on his studies first, then tell him about the rodent later. I dont see how she doesnt care about her son's feelings and futhermore i dont see how that affects his mental health, unless ofcourse things are so different in the west.

So the kid ran away and starved to death in the woods, right? Or maybe he came back and shot his mum in the face? Or possibly he tried to commit suicide by swallowing hamsters.

? why is this even remotely newsworthy? she delayed her son's grief for the sake of a few tests, who ****ing cares?. people who say "omg he's not going develop normally" need to be kicked in the nutsack. ya this one event wont help him deal with loss for the rest of his goddam life. the only crime here is the fact that people actually make this a goddam issue. who ****ing cares, it's a guinea pig, it's a pair of slippers with eyes and the intelligence to match. it's not like it was grandma who died

When I was uber-little (we are talking about 2 here) we was on holiday and our grandparents were looking after our dog and budgie and some how they managed to accidentally feed our budgie gravel instead of bird feed. The tough little bastard some how survived though. I was sad when he did eventually die though , he was so awesome. He could do flips and stuff and ate insects.

My mum and dad did something similar to me when I had finished Year 5. My cat went missing, but my parents didn't tell me (I didn't notice either) until a few days after - just as the summer holidays had started.

Back