Monitor buying

DEATHMASTER

The Freeman
Reaction score
So I'm considering getting a new monitor since I will have an influx of cash pretty soon, I've had this Acer 22" for a long while now and I figure I could give it to my brother and he can give that 15" doohickey to my not so choosy dad.

I'm looking mostly at 24" capable of 1920x1200, I don't want anything over $400 (and that's pushing it).

Yeah the couple I was looking at on newegg are either very expensive ($500 asus meeting the specs I mentioned), and the samsung simply has no reviews (ok, there's 1, but damnit).

I don't think you can really go wrong with a Samsung.

If I had to settle for it, I would, but I do have plenty of time so I just wanted to get opinions. The other reasonably priced choice seems to be the Dell u2412m. I just feel like I'm missing some obvious resource, newegg literally only has 20 monitors with the recommended native res I mentioned. ****ing 1920x1080 "1080p" fad, there's a trillion of those damn things.

Yeah it's hard to find 1200p monitors these days, unfortunately.

I've heard things about the anti-glare coating, what's your opinion on that?

My bad this is the one I meant: -

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...=04&sku=320-8277&~srd=true&sk=u2410&scat=prod

A bit more pricy, but awesome. Personally I do graphics work when I'm not gaming so I don't want reflections. This monitor is 400 cd/m2 which is a lot brighter than most monitors in that price range. All I would say is, make sure you're fully awake before firing it up because www.google.com and all that white is pretty intense first thing in the morning without some caffeine in your system.

Level headed review here: -

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-u2410/4505-3174_7-33772972.html

Ok I ended up holding back because $500 was just too damn much (although it's been on sale here and there, still a lot though). They recently released the PA248Q, a cheaper LED version of this monitor. Its got less display colors (16.7 million vs 1.07 billion) but I figure that's not really relevant. For $160 less it might be a worthwhile alternative. The reviews out so far are by far positive (customer and websites). I'll probably order one after I get back from vacation.

Any thoughts on DVI vs HDMI? LCD vs LED?
I've never noticed a quality difference in LED versus LCD monitors. LED monitors tend to be thinner and lighter, and to my eyes thats about all the difference. I mean, the only difference is the backlight. An "LED monitor" is actually an LCD screen with an LED backlight, whereas "LCD monitors" are LCD screens with florescent backlights.

The only time I've used the HDMI output on my GPU was when I hooked up my HDTV to my computer for a temporary second monitor. Seemed to perform the exact same as the DVI output, as far as visuals are concerned.

Got the PA248Q. Phenomenal colors, picture quality, and viewing angles. The monitor itself is so damn easy to adjust, you literally can change the height, tilt, and angle (portrait or landscape) with just one hand! It's certainly all IPS is cracked up to be, and the response time is fast enough that I don't notice any lack of smoothness in any games. The only complaint I would have is the initial backlighting, which was very noticable with a very dark image or movie. As other users have said, it got better after about a week.

Pics:

Y8EQb.jpg

As you can see, the angles with which I took the pics didn't change the colors of the image (last pic is biased because of the damn halogen lamp, but the image isn't distorted from the viewing angle).
Ow783.jpg

Most LED monitors (not TVs) are just existing CCFL models replaced with LED backlights. E.g. the Dell 2311 vs 2312. Generally the manufacturers cheap out, and the lighting is actually less even than on CCFLs. I own a 2311 (CCFL) and a 2412 (LED). The supposed benefit isn't there, if you ask me.

Also, if you're spending less than $400, there's a good chance you're buying an e-IPS (6 bit), not a true blood IPS. Hence why graphic designers recommend the 2410 over just about anything else.

For picture, DVI is better than HDMI in just about every way. **** HDMI.

The only benefit LED backlighting is supposed to give is less energy consumption.
The 248Q is an "A+ IPS."

The only benefit LED backlighting is supposed to give is less energy consumption.
The 248Q is an "A+ IPS."
That and it is more eye pleasing. My favorite part about LED's however is that they are cheaper to make, but more expensive to sell. If you haven't chosen a monitor yet, I'd recommend the "Asus VS247H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor" it is currently 184.00$ on amazon. I was going to purchase it but I saw another screen in the store for 200 and I just jumped on that.

Samsung all the way. I've recently started buying larger TVs instead of monitors, as I feel there's more variety to choose from and past a certain size bracket, I've found it to be better value for money.

That and it is more eye pleasing. My favorite part about LED's however is that they are cheaper to make, but more expensive to sell. If you haven't chosen a monitor yet, I'd recommend the "Asus VS247H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor" it is currently 184.00$ on amazon. I was going to purchase it but I saw another screen in the store for 200 and I just jumped on that.
Like I said before, I got the 248Q. Definitely no regrets, IPS is a godsend. LED savings will be a nice bonus, and 1200p is simply fantastic.

Back