more subtle effects

bonanzaguy

Reaction score
I was watching the demos again, and lo and behold the speedometers on the dune buggy move as you accelerate/slow down. it's tiny details like these that make HL2 == pwnage

hmm.. I havent notised that. I think I was more cocentrated @ the things that where happening outside dah vehicle

I noticed the the 6th time i watched it :D i look for smaller details each tiime around. :cheers:

i was too, but after watching them i started looking for little things like that i could post about :D

Yea, I noticed that too. It's a nice touch. Little details like that is another reason why HL2 will r0x0rz.

ye i saw that too but i wasnt sure because i caught that when it was in the middle of the cr movn then it stoped and i noticed. i wonder if there will be an incorporated camage system for vecs.
ex find turned over car, shoot gas tank, boom.

indeed.. I wonder on how far you would be able to go. I wonder on how many times you will be amazed about what just happened like you trow a nade to a combine soldier.who is hiding behined a car. the nade explodes and the car is blown into the air. and suddenly a combine soldier stands right infront off you and the car lands right ontop off the soldier

that would be soo much fun

Anyone noticed how the resemblance in appearance/function between the HL gauss gun and the gun on the buggy? Or is it just me? :)

I liked that you could fire the gun while driving. If you combined that with a hood mounted camera and circular displays, you could theoretically drive the car and fire at anything chasing you from behind! SuperSweet!!

Originally posted by [Re4lity]Jeff
Anyone noticed how the resemblance in appearance/function between the HL gauss gun and the gun on the buggy? Or is it just me? :)
yes.. this has been discussed in many threads.. even at points debated if it will be the only gauss gun in the game (which it won't)

Here's a subtle effect im sure no one noticed. I noticed this the first time i watched the video. The part with the ant-lions, right after gordon shoots down the two sentries look at the scope of the gun. The NV scope is dynamic, its not a picture or texture. As you look around, the lens show what you see as well.

Yes but the scope deosnt seem to work all the time, so maybe it is a secondary function or something

Originally posted by FireBall
Yes but the scope deosnt seem to work all the time, so maybe it is a secondary function or something

thats probably just a bug, i mean this build supposedly is from summer 2002. So its probably fixed by now, or by the time the release comes.

Originally posted by EVIL
hmm.. I havent notised that. I think I was more cocentrated @ the things that where happening outside dah vehicle

serious, who gives a **** about speedometers. Its no small detail, its just a normal thing. That is in many games with vehicles.

yup...not in many FPS though.:bounce:
One thing I noticed was that it goes from zero to sumthin then it stops.even if the buggy is still accelerating it stands still. It only goes down when the vechicle stops or slows down beyond that point..........maybe I should get some sleep.........

Originally posted by THUGENSTEIN
Here's a subtle effect im sure no one noticed. I noticed this the first time i watched the video. The part with the ant-lions, right after gordon shoots down the two sentries look at the scope of the gun. The NV scope is dynamic, its not a picture or texture. As you look around, the lens show what you see as well.

actually it's fake...

it doesn't completely reflect your surroundings...just somewhat.

you will notice a clipping error when he walks from the sentry room into the laundry room....

but it's a nice detail nonetheless(although not accurate)

u guys are going to kill the game for youselvs if u worry about the these things when it comes out.

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
u guys are going to kill the game for youselvs if u worry about the these things when it comes out.

we won't have time worrying...we will blast thru zombies 24hours straight 7 days a week etc.

reminded me that I want a "Braindead"-part in HL2 with hordes of zombies to blow in pieces...

Indeed the details do make a difference, I saw that speedometer as well :)

Concerning the braindead part, I bet there'll be a HL2 mod asap like Scientist hunt or something :) (you know, the scientist hunt in HL1)

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE
actually it's fake...

it doesn't completely reflect your surroundings...just somewhat.

you will notice a clipping error when he walks from the sentry room into the laundry room....

but it's a nice detail nonetheless(although not accurate)

I think it's not! The scope doesn't show what's in front of you, it shows what's next to you (left side).
The player points the gun to the middle, but it's not a front view, it points from right to left.

I hope you get what I mean...

the lens reflects your surroundings not the things that is infront of you. but the things behiend him. so when you look into a chome marbel you see everything behind you.

And I think the clipping error. or what you may call it has something to do with shadows. the shadow of the inviorment doesnt moves over the player but it is suddenly shadow.. and suddenly bright. it is not like ut2k3. where you can see the shadows move over the gun. I hope that is fixed. but I am sure it has :)

wow never noticed that speedometers, mmm...I dont really give a monkeys, but its nice that valve are doing things that small

i got a clever detail for u if u can call it that.
In the vid where u are introduced to aylx and that scientist dr kleiner there is a magnifying glass on a stand thing that shows dr kleiner typeing in a magnifyed view and is allso properly difracted depending on where u stand:cheese: :cheers: nice one valve

Just shows how dedicated they are to the game dont it, i mean bothering to do sumthin like that :)

Yeah that was pretty cool with the with the magnifing glass.

Since noone commented on what i said before. If you look at the steering wheel in the buggy you will notice that Gordon doesnt have his hands on it. Its not that bad really but it would be nice if he did. Maybe its something they will add later.

*Running out of gas*

It would be cool if fuel isn't unlimited like it is in every other game with vehicles in it. I hate that in driving games. Its like having unlimited ammo. It cheapens the gameplay.

indeed.. I hope you can find jerrycans with fuel @ some places so you can refuel your vehicle

I want limited fuel too, it would be neat as hell!

But if there are Jerry cans I don't want it the old fasion way (drive over it to get fuel)

ofcourse not.. i hope that you can carry items.. or maby able to trow the jarrycans in a lil space @ the back of the vehicle. It would be fun if a bullet hits the jerrycan

Maybe he can take his watch off and use it to shine light into their eyes.......

sorry..

Originally posted by bonanzaguy
I was watching the demos again, and lo and behold the speedometers on the dune buggy move as you accelerate/slow down. it's tiny details like these that make HL2 == pwnage
really? i was looking at that very closely..... hmm *runs off and watches the demo*

It'd also be cool if you could shoot the fuel tank of another Buggy that some Combine is driving and have the thing explode into a giant fireball.:eek:

wonder how soon someone will come out with a dune buggy racing map :D

*starts getting ideas*

I would say within the first week of its release, probably wouldn't be too hard to make a dune Buggy destruction derby map:cheese: .

I have seen someone else mentioning this but if you didnt see it, it is kinda cool. When that hovering thing is flying over Gordon and Barney, watch the power lines. Also in the dune buggy clip it does the same thing when Gordon is about to pick up the RPG watch the Powerlines. And i think it is funny if you look at the videos in some of them (the antlion one especially) you will see those radiators on walls like the one he picked up and laucnhed at the guy in front of the coke machine. So much potential yanking of stuff to throw at people :)

yes HL2 will lead to an awful lot of 'yanking' off.

When Gordon shoots out the supports that drop the swining beam on the Combine soldiers, if you watch closely, they run from the beam. They don't just stand there and let it hit them, they turn and run away from it. Most AI from any other game would be oblivous until they were hit. Just shows the AI is somewhat aware of their surroundings.

Back