Movement in HL2.

Private Snafu

Reaction score
I have a question. Will you be able to do different kind of movements in Half Life 2? I'd like to see leaning + being able to go prone. I think those two should be standard for any shooter.

I'm not sure about those. Valve are not copycat game writers

I don't see why not...
most games have those abilities so why shouldn't H-L2
EDIT: nm

They need to make innovative things, like duck-jump was innovative.

Well HL2 will have duck-jump, I've already noticed that outta the gameplay movie, so I'm guessing they just went with the movement model of the original game, which is great because it worked excellently. Leaning and going prone are good but only if the game suits them, and Half-Life isn't really a nitty-gritty realism/stealth whore :)

Other than HL controls the only thing I'd like to see is a climb function, ever get a box JUST too big to get on? Yeah that was very vastly annoying. Then again it could just be a design fault so HL2 could see less situations like these.

ACK! Speculation... must end post :|

sorry boys but there will be none of that stuff.
They have recreated Half-life's moving abilities and player movement physics to a T
So I presume that means there wont be stuff like that.... but we'll have to see

Originally posted by |MaTT|

I'm not really sure how including those realistic features could be considered as 'copycat' techniques. A vast majority of games and mods use them these days, so why not HL2?

I doubt they're in, anyway.

going prone would be useless in hl2.. half-life wasn't really a game about sitting in one place.. it was more about "oh shit i'm running from 3 of my friends-turned-zombies and i have to avoid these hanging mother****ing tongues coming out of alien-barnacles without setting off these trip mines or sentry guns." i think half-life 2 is going to be an action game.. not a sniping sim.

tell me one place going prone would help/improve the gameplay or be useful in hl2. the only place i would see it as useful would be like.. making vents that are flatter than you could get by crouching.. but those would only be in the game if the prone feature was in.. making both the feature and the implementation be dependent on eachother which would just be excessive code and features which neither add to the enjoyment or gameplay of hl2.

Leaning features would be quite useful, though. Just to peep round for a second to check for combine/alien presence.

I would hardly ever use the leaning feature, i dont use it in other games. Going prone would be a nice thing to add though, even if it wouldnt be used all the much. You could have it to go through really tight spots. I think it would be cool trying to escape something by crawling through a small hole in a wall where crouching isnt enough.

Originally posted by Abom|nation
Leaning features would be quite useful, though. Just to peep round for a second to check for combine/alien presence.
i agree with this.. especially with the supposedely advanced new ai of your enemies.. but i find that in all the games out that feature this.. i never or only very rarely use it.

We need a peek command not a lean really. Usually when you lean in most games your exposing as much if not more of your body to the people around the corner and your never sure exactly where your body is. In splinter cell they had a good system but valve has made it a point never to go 3rd person. What I think is if they when you were nearish to a corner and pressed this command you would walk to the very edge but not so your body would show and they peak your head and gun around it automatically. In real life this is a simple thing to do but very hard if all you get is a torso lean.

-Straylight

Valve has already said that it will use the same movement as HL1 did :)

Originally posted by |MaTT|

OH NO LET'S NOT COPY REALITY WE MIGHT GET SUED!!

indeed.. a peek feature would be great.

peeking around a wall seeing some antlions gathering ad then they smell you and come after you.

Yea, prone I don't see much use for. Unless your going under tight spaces, then again, I'd just like to see you get crushed by whatever was over you D:

Even though HL2 most likely won't be a sneaking type game, I still think a prone feature can be very useful for sneaking around, even in an action oriented game. I'm able to use prone to conceal myself very effectively in Day of Defeat, when sneaking up on a flag or in some other similar situation.

Those new abilities might be cool and even useful, but I would much rather like Valve to concentrate on more important things, like the graphics engine and AI.

Also I don't like using 20 different buttons just to play the game. :)

Well, i was thinking if anything, a wide variety of movement options would help for multiplayer. I like to prone in BF 42, and yes, i do use it to be stealthy. I'd also like to be be able to hold my back against a wall, like in that oooollllld, TF 2 movie, where the spy strangles a soldier from behind. I think in multiplay, if it was slow paced, where you could lunge out, kill some one, and then hide their body, that would be cool.

Leaning and prone are stupid. They will just make the controls more difficult and confusing and will confuse the noobies.

hey, when we play this game, we'll all be noobs. Real noobs typically won't get a game until after it's been out for a while.

Originally posted by NiteStalker
I hope it's possible to trip (and crawl on the ground).

To trip? I certainly hope not, I could see that getting very annoying.

Yeah that would be well annoying - eject 30 odd bullets and you'll be dancing all over the casings :/

I've rarely used prone, only if i need to deploy a MG. I end up getting down and then having to stand up to run away about 2 seconds later

Hmm .. what about dead bodies? I think in HL1 you sort of walked "through" them.

The simpler the movment system, the better. There just aren't input devices out yet that can make extra movement options feel right. Crouch is good enough without having to worry about 3 levels of vertical movement and keys for each of them. It's already hard enough fitting in strafe keys, backwards keys, crouch keys, dual weapon fire, etc.

Prone has been implemented in many mods to great effect, i don't see why it would be a problem. I think it would be very fun/useful if valve wanted it to be. Someone said that it wouldn't be need unless a situation was made for it. But crouch wouldn't be need either by that way of thinking, or jump for that matter. In fact you could make a game where you just stand there and do nothing. You don't even need to look around. That would be fun. You wouldn't clutter up the keyboard with too many keys that confuse newbies. It would be a great game.

I don't see why prone would be such a bad idea. Having it to sneak up on people would be cool. Being able to crawl through tight spaces would be cool. I don't think it is in the game, because it wasn't in the demo's but it would be nice. Hopefully someone will put it in a mod.

You can already crawl through tight spaces by crouching: why do we need two different options for basically the same exact functionality? I don't agree that prone has been used to great effect: all it amounts to is an even lower crouch. What does that add?

Originally posted by Apos
You can already crawl through tight spaces by crouching: why do we need two different options for basically the same exact functionality? I don't agree that prone has been used to great effect: all it amounts to is an even lower crouch. What does that add?
Since you're lower, you're much less likely to be seen by the enemy, and if you're prone you can get through even smaller spaces. And if Valve correctly models the physics of grenade fragments, then going prone would help save you from the grenade.

Yes, obviously... but so what? Why have two different levels of non-standing elevation? Make your maps right, and you can do fine with just one. Not all games are made more fun by having players that are hard to see and slow moving.

I'm all for keeping the same HL1 movement system, and as someone else said, perhaps a climb function.

Also, it would be good if the whole movement felt less slidey, and more like actually walking (not too much though, i hate extra view bob etc). Maybe if your gun looked as if you were walking instead of just standing still. (I think that was the case in the movies, which looked good as far as movement went)

prone is going down to the ground, like we can in DoD

Originally posted by Wesisapie
I'm all for keeping the same HL1 movement system, and as someone else said, perhaps a climb function.

Also, it would be good if the whole movement felt less slidey, and more like actually walking (not too much though, i hate extra view bob etc). Maybe if your gun looked as if you were walking instead of just standing still. (I think that was the case in the movies, which looked good as far as movement went)
Operation Flashpoint did this very well, since you actually took steps instead of gliding along like in every other game. It even took a couple of steps to stop if you were running or jogging. Unfortunately, I doubt Valve will use this system of movement.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
Hmm .. what about dead bodies? I think in HL1 you sort of walked "through" them.

I have a feeling that it was mentioned somewhere that you will have to talk over bodies if you come into contact with them, and it might slow you down a little.

I think they have. I mean in one off the concept art images you see some guys climbing down ropes

wait.. lemme show dah conceptart piece
http://www.******/gallery/concept/images/hl2_concept_6.jpg

there yah go!

EDIT: and I hope you are able to shoot the rope so it snaps.

Hey EVIL, from where do you have that concept art? I thought I knew all the published pictures and videos by now...

Btw, I'm pretty sure that ropes snap when you shoot them, you can see their physical features are pretty realistic; for example the movement of the power supply lines (kind of rope) when the alien flying thing whirls them around, or their vibrations in the end of the E3 vid when the strider comes around the corner, with each step it's shaking the whole ground and the cables attached to the buildings, it's a really impressive effect.

Back