multiplayer?

R

RAGE

im very interested in portal but to be honest i could careless if the main character is a girl or any other pointless crap like that. what i would like to see is a multiplayer addition to portal, it has the potential to be a crazy deathmatch-style game and hardware sponsors would definitely put alot of money into it for tournaments. there are rumors that multiplayer might be implemented but so far i personally have not heard anything definitive. anyone have any solid info in regards to portal also being a multiplayer game?

Go play counter strike, you noob!

I would rather play a nice easy polished singleplayer game instead of playing the half-finished multiplayer game with bunch of idiot jumping around and throwing portals at you.

By the way, Portal is supposed to be puzzle game not some deathmatch bang bang style shooter.

What's with your hard on for the bolding?

I can't really figure out a way portal would work multiplayer.

They have mentioned that they may try and make a MP version if the feed back is good from portal.

Go play counter strike, you noob!

I would rather play a nice easy polished singleplayer game instead of playing the half-finished multiplayer game with bunch of idiot jumping around and throwing portals at you.

By the way, Portal is supposed to be puzzle game not some deathmatch bang bang style shooter.

first off you need to think outside of the box, valve is not the only company to ever make games and in noway is or has cs ever been a deathmatch game. the fact that it is a puzzle/thinking game adds to why it should be a multiplayer deathmatch game. the best players in quake/1v1 games are those who know how to control maps & ammunition(warsow f.e.). at a top level quake f.e. requires a lot of calculation in terms of controlling your arsenal as well as your opponents. (hence czm won cpl for the last q3 tourney, he is majoring in math etc.) portal would make controlling a map in 1v1-style game 10 times more intense than quake/painkiller/warsow ever could.

Can you please stop using a crappy font and bolt text?

i really dont want any internet arguments and i didnt make this thread so that people can moan about what they want portal to be. im sure it will be a great game and im looking forward to the singleplayer. however being a 1v1 enthusiast (quake, warsow, painkiller etc.) as well as having thirst for lan/prizemoney competition i feel that portal has great potential because it offers something somewhat original. imagine a mix of half-life deathmatch combined with the use of portals in a 1v1 format, map control would be extremely difficult and to be a top player you would truly need alot of skill.
:cheers:

Yes, we can imagine that. But it won't be included with Ep2.

Now stop using bold and crappy fonts.

Yes, we can imagine that. But it won't be included with Ep2.

Now stop using bold and crappy fonts.

why does it matter to you what font i use? ill use the font i like and have been using for years.

dont you have anything more productive to do than offer the most useless input?

do you have a split personality or what exactly do you mean by we?

i mean i know there are plenty of nerds out there on forums everywhere that just have to include their input no matter how retarded / not related to the subject at hand whatsoever it may be but please if you dont know anything or have nothing intelligent to contribute than go do something else. im sure you can make a thread about your favorite portal picture and be busy with that or something.

today i simply wanted to see if anyone has more info than i regarding to a game im looking forward to before i head over to see Federer win the US Open and instead im greeted with the reason I dont like Forums in the first place, kids that have the need to interact and yet they have nothing whatsoever to offer. please keep in mind that im not looking for an argument nor will i continue one if you get menstral, if you dont like this thread please stay out of it, simple as that.

portal has a potetial for multiplayer not in DMing but in puzzles, couldn't you see a team of players working together with the portal gun to reach a common goal? and i say if you want a multiplayer version, go to the modding section for now.

thats actually a really good idea. keep in mind words were kind of put into my mouth, i dont necessarily want portal to become a first person shooter. i simply think the game is very innovative and will make a really competitive multiplayer game in general. now the obvious format for non-team games in order to be able to played at events for money is usually a "1v1 fps" however i can definitely see being presented with a new map and racing against someone realtime to a certain goal but this is definitely not as likely simply because there would have to be a constant flow of new maps in order to keep it interesting and this would make it nearly impossible for leagues / lans to host.

please keep in mind however i did not make this thread for speculation, i just wanted to see if anyone here knows if multiplayer has been confirmed yet. i know officially it hasnt and most people on forums are just as clueless as people who read iviews / press releases but i figured it was worth a shot

This thread was written off when the OP used that font and text size.

Ontopic: Rumors there will be MP? I love how people say there is rumors when Valve has stated its SP...

The Portal team have said they will consider Portal MP if people like Portal.

The reason you shouldn't use crappy fonts and bold is because
  1. It's tiring for you to pick it every time you post.
  2. It's harder to read.
  3. Your posts become smaller and look like they contain less text.
  4. You look like a total idiot.
  5. You're the only one doing it.

Rumors there will be MP? I love how people say there is rumors when Valve has stated its SP...

Valve has stated that Portal will be a SingePlayer, however they have neither confirmed nor denied a Multiplayer addition.

Welcome to the forums.
please keep in mind however i did not make this thread for speculation, i just wanted to see if anyone here knows if multiplayer has been confirmed yet.
i know officially it hasnt
And there ya go. SP for now. And much easier to read. (You do want your posts to be read right?) D:

I have not heard any multi-player news regarding portal. It would be interesting what they could come up with if they did make a MP part, later on. I'm not going to speculate though. After all, that isn't what this thread is about. ;)

I have nothing against multiplayer but I just don't want portal to turn into some counter strike filled with people that just jumping around yelling "roflmao" "omg" and stuff. Don't get me wrong, counter strike can be a nice game to play if you find a nice room without n00bs.

(Look, I can change the font too! Oh, boy am I smart!)

:cheese: Just kidding!

so in essence Asus youre stating what I had already assumed, Forum nerds are as clueless as the rest. As for zombine you have obviously never played Counter-Strike outside of a public server. Also if Portal is to be a competitive multiplayer I hardly doubt it will be a team based game with numerous people. I would assume it would be a 1v1 type dm game, that is the most logical conclusion however to be honest I have no idea, just as everyone who has posted here so far. * end of thread i have to go see Federer and no one knows anything!
:cheers:

so in essence Asus youre stating what I had already assumed, Forum nerds are as clueless as the rest.
If there was a rumor or speculation from a vague Valve statement I'm sure the forums would be a buzz with that. But so far nothing except what you already know.

L0l I cun CHANGe dem TeZXts!

Wow this is hard to read. Muahahahaha!

Kay ontopic: If you have ever played exite online it's really fun to find ways to kill people. Anyway someone will make a multiplayer mod withing 5 seconds of the release.

Useless thread.

And this is a useless post.

Valve has stated that they may consider doing a portal multiplayer, but right now it's a singleplayer thing. I'm sure we'll see someone trying to make a Portal MP mop once Portal is added to Source SDK .

don't be hating rage, they only mean good ;)

Anyways, the whole Portal thing was developed as a single player game right? the only thing that can happen with that is that Valve somehow can reduce the amount of lag you get when 6 people in a room shoot a portal with excellent, effects. that said, the excellent effects for 6 players would lag the game tremendously and lag would ruin the experience. besides, what would you do with 6 people with portal guns anyways huh? have people just mess around like it's a sandbox or something? come on, we ALL know that Portal is a great interesting game but is nowhere near Multiplayer debate or Gabe would've hinted at it in one of his many interviews. By the way, use the same font, but don't make it bold. It just looks cheesy.

Back