Music close to the one in the Half-Life series

Sintes

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Half-Life fans!

So today is yet another day in which I remember how extremely awesome Half-Life series are. A day in which I think about when the hell are we going to see something new and a day in which I adore the hell out of the Half-Life OST. So after listening to the soundtrack again I can't help it but ask if there is what music even close to that made by Kelly Bailey. Really I can't put the OST in a specific electronic genre and I've tried searching for artists that have similar style but with no luck. So please if you know some musicians who make music at least close to the one in the Half-Life series please do tell.

All best, Sintes

P.S: I still feel kind of sad that Kelly Bailey is not part of Valve anymore.

I kinda think that its similar to late 90's house/trance music, but not that similar. Other then that, Bailey's work really is genre-less. But what I do remember is that valve recruited this guy who used to be in an 80's-90's alt rock band. The name of the band and of the guy i totally don't remember.

I kinda think that its similar to late 90's house/trance music, but not that similar. Other then that, Bailey's work really is genre-less. But what I do remember is that valve recruited this guy who used to be in an 80's-90's alt rock band. The name of the band and of the guy i totally don't remember.
You're referring to Mike Morasky, who did all the Portal 2 stuff, as well as all the themes from TF2, Day of Defeat: Source and the L4D series.

Sintes there is plenty of electronica out there that bears resemblance to aspects of Kelly Bailey's work on the HL2 soundtrack, but since Bailey mixes a lot of styles often you aren't going to find everything you're looking for. On the more atmospheric, ambient end of things, I'd say to check out Carbon Based Lifeforms or other psybient artists (like Bluetech's less dub-influenced stuff).

Thanks, I'll check those out. I guess it's indeed hard to find something similar to his work. He did mix different genres in one perfectly.

Edit: Well, Carbon Based Lifeforms is really good, takes me in a different world. Still I'd also like something with a charge in it. Something that feels like war-zone electronic music.

You should check out Boards of Canada. A lot of their stuff is trance/ambient and it sounds like HL2's sound track. Remember that part in HL2 in city 17 where you could find that unplugged TV showing the gman and it had creepy music? a lot of BOC songs are like that.

Also you tube the song Machine Gun by Noisia. It's groovy battlezone music.

Back