Music: Rate and Discuss

Calvin Harris - I'm Not Alone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clY2RAgXpM0

What essentially got me into club music. The rest of his music is pretty balls to me, but when this song comes on at 3am, when you're drenched in sweat and completely trashed and the strobes and lasers intensify as that fist pumping synth comes into play, it's orgasmic.

Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58-36lSqG4

probably one of my fave RatM song. I've seen this song being champoined by gun-nuts "rally round the family with a pocket full of shells" when it's actually a song of protest against the rim of fire companies and the military industrial complex

in light of NIN embarking on their final tour, i've been listening to a bunch of NIN stuff.

rediscovery is good. but damn, it's a shame that i'm gonna be one of those that will never be able to see NIN live.

London-calling.jpg

The Clash - London Calling (album)

11/10

Over the last couple of months this band has come to mean the world to me, and their third album, the masterpiece London Calling has been the centre of attention. Though labelled as punk by many, it's really more of a post-punk creation, with its huge amount of influences over the 19 tracks, raging from ska and reggae to rockabilly. Every single track is brilliant in its own right. The musical cooperation on this album between Mick Jones and Joe Strummer surpasses even what Lennon/McCartney ever accomplished. The greatest album in history.

in light of NIN embarking on their final tour, i've been listening to a bunch of NIN stuff.

rediscovery is good. but damn, it's a shame that i'm gonna be one of those that will never be able to see NIN live.
Well, Trent might be back one day, just not for a while if at all, so don't give up hope yet. I only saw NIN twice, once in 2006 and once on this most recent "Wave Goodbye" tour and tbh 2006 was way better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6FGb7I9f1U
saw them live and saw them ages ago at some Warped Tour and enjoyed them greatly. very good summer music

Lyrics:

Welcome home
While away
They have tampered with the locks
And your things they rearranged

"We propose a better way"
Said the note they left behind
In their wake of disarray
You fell in place

Don't fall asleep
They'll find us here
I know a place to disappear
As a voice proclaimed

What we are is the sum of 1000 lives
What we know is almost nothing at all
But we are what we are until the day we die
Or until we don't have the strength to go on

Let us cry
Let us be
Let us open up our hearts
Without fear of anything

Faith alone
Is all we need
To traverse this burning bridge
Now before it gets too late
You said "it's fine"

But the heart reveals
What smiles betray
Your sad sad eyes gave you away
Don't you know

Or until we dont have the strength to go on

Our shoulders bear an awful weight
But still we trudge on just the same
Our colors run then leave a stain
They blacken our once honest name
But how can we argue, tell me
Over the fury and the fire
How many times can we tell you that we
Are not like you, we see right through
Your poor disguise that fails to fool
The wary eye that is trained on you

Until we don't have the strength to go on

Until we don't have the strength to go on
Yeah! we don't have the strength to go on

I think its cooler if you post the lyrics too

Screaming Trees's "Dust" album... one of my new favorites! It's old, but it's new to me. :p

DUBSTEP.FM - 5/5

Given a 5 due to personal massive dubstep loving. This station offers all kinds of beats and tunes. Including tunes from one of my favourite dubstep duo, Chase & Status. Best thing is, it's getting mixed up all the time. DJs crack some decent jokes and will keep you fully entertained. Any fan of dnb, grime, dance, 44, should defo give this a roll. If you're not into this music scene, then you're probs going to bail on this one. Hold tight.

my favourite dubstep duo, Chase & Status.

Look I don't like to do this but you are very silly and ignorant! Chase & Status, like many other prominent D&B producers (Spor, Noisia), have been experimenting with dubstep for a few months now, but really, they're not a dubstep duo at all. Go listen to Kode9, Joker, The Bug, Burial and so forth.

Currently I'm listening to Vancouver, by Martyn. It's half wonky and half dubstep. Shimmering basslines over a fuzzy two-step beat, synths foaming in and out on the back of the incredible groove. Much recommended, from his album Great Lengths.

Alarum - Receiver, Reconditioned

This music is ****ing incredible. It's like jazz meets thrash, meets post-hardcore. massively awesome stuff.

Look I don't like to do this but you are very silly and ignorant! Chase & Status, like many other prominent D&B producers (Spor, Noisia), have been experimenting with dubstep for a few months now, but really, they're not a dubstep duo at all. Go listen to Kode9, Joker, The Bug, Burial and so forth.

Currently I'm listening to Vancouver, by Martyn. It's half wonky and half dubstep. Shimmering basslines over a fuzzy two-step beat, synths foaming in and out on the back of the incredible groove. Much recommended, from his album Great Lengths.

:p Respect, I'll check her out.

Motel Motel - New Denver album

I'm ok with nasally indie voices so this sounds pretty darn good to me. Although I don't initially like the way most of the songs start off, they tend to change it up around the chorus or the end of the song. So overall I like it.

That track you posted is rather different, haha. I guess I hear some stoner influence but not outstandingly so.

Hymie's Basement - Hymie's Basement (album)

Another anticon. group made roughly of the members of Why? And yet another success. Admittedly, the first half of the album is merely okay in terms of quality and enjoyment. Even with that, the second half more than makes up for it. Starting at Pretty Colors (Smile Your Brains Out), it turns into a melody driven poetic masterpiece. Pretty Colors features a rather addictive deep voice off beat with the percussion which makes for an awesome combo. The last three tracks on the album are very memorable, often earning multiple plays from me in one sitting, Lightning Bolts and Man Hands being one of those three: you can almost feel the tears coming from his face.

I knew nothing. The first half is just as strong as, if not stronger than, the last half of the album. Listen to it immediately.

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism (the song, not the whole album)

I know lots of people love this song, but I kind of dislike it. I listen to lots of freakishly long 10+ minute songs without any trouble, but even at only ~8 minutes this one just feels like it drags on and on and on. When he starts singing "Come on" at the end, I'm like "Come on and finish the song already man!"

Way Out West in Gothenburg was this weekend, and I gotta say that it was the best festival I've ever been to. Not one of the acts I saw was any less than awesome.

Day 1:
Bon Iver 7/10
Beirut 8/10
Antony & the Johnsons 7/10
Glasvegas 8/10
Arctic Monkeys 9/10

Day 2:
Patrick Wolf 8/10
Vampire Weekend 8/10
My Bloody Valentine 10/10
Lily Allen 8/10

My Bloody Valentine's concert is probably the best I've ever seen and definitely the loudest. Anyone without earplugs left very quickly. The amount of fuzz they created with the guitars was amazing. By law they aren't allowed to play over 100 dB, but they purposely broke the law and played 120 dB. The last 20 minutes was ceaseless guitar mangle that vibrated your entire body. I'm still shaking from it.

Henryk Gorecki - Symphony, No 3, Op 36 ('Symphony of Sorrowful Songs'): Movement 1

Absolutely beautiful piece. Can't say I'm a huge fan of Movements II and III (I don't even know if I've ever listened the whole way through them), but Movement I is excellent. Takes a while to build up though.

The whole first movement is like 27 minutes long. Here's just the second part... I like the instrumental buildup of the first part better, but this has the climax at ~4:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKk-w_0SpSw

Metric - Help I'm Alive ~ 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_czU9sJ3g&feature=fvst

Smart and stylish pop of the highest order. I highly suggest you pickup their latest album, Fantasies, for the latest dip in new-wave inspired rock.

Other tracks of the dreamy and sinuous beat that I personally suggest alistenin' to: Gold Guns Girls, Satellite Mind, Blindness, and Gimme Sympathy. You won't regret it.

@ Warped

My favourite from HL2. As soon as I heard it in the Coastline trailer I spent forever waiting for it, and finally got it when the source code was leaked. Ah, 2003 memories.

Can't quite place the sound. I think that stems from Bailey's lack of musical background--he just does what he likes.

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (2004 Original Recording remaster, FLAC)

I just downloaded the remaster of this album. The difference between this and the original release is immense. The levels, the bass... the wild guitar/drum solo break in the middle is no longer half the volume of the rest of the song. Everything pops out in the mix like it should. This song just sounds fantastic.

Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party

Everybody's coming leave your body and soul at the door. Danny Elfman I want to birth your children.

Orange Dust - Skeletones

Just recently discovered this artist and he's unbelievable. Mostly fast paced breakbeat with an overall hip hop feel. Listen to this track and you'll get a feel for what he's all about.

This is the kind of music I wish I could make, and what I would always play in my head, but never found an artist that produced this much of it and so well.

Edit: now video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I23E7jStDW0

I just started listening to them. Passion Pit 4/5

cut
Passion Pit is amazing! I've been listening to Manners a lot recently. It's one of my favorite bands that I've had to represent for my Sony Music college marketing job.

Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party

Everybody's coming leave your body and soul at the door. Danny Elfman I want to birth your children.
I love Oingo Boingo!!!! One of the professors at my school used to do drum tech for them back in the early 90s. I'm going to interview him for my university's paper in the fall.

Metric...

Smart and stylish pop of the highest order. I highly suggest you pickup their latest album, Fantasies, for the latest dip in new-wave inspired rock.
This album is definitely incredible and addictive to the point that once you begin listening to it you must force yourself to stop before you hear it so many times repeatedly that you ruin it for yourself forever.

Back