Must... Resist... World of Warcraft...

Farrowlesparrow said:
So what you guys are saying by all this is...The game isn't really worth playing.

:p

hahaha, hahhaha, hahhah! what a funny joke!

*squints eyes*

Oh, and stern... you better make that "40 hours" into "200" pronto... come on, i spent about 200 hours playing it and I don't even own the game yet :p

So is it really that amazing? I mean, I've heard people rant on about these types of games before, and they've been something of a letdown. I'm just wondering, because I might actually buy it when I have the money, and I don't really want to commit to this game unless its worth it.

Suicide42 said:
hahaha, hahhaha, hahhah! what a funny joke!

*squints eyes*

Oh, and stern... you better make that "40 hours" into "200" pronto... come on, i spent about 200 hours playing it and I don't even own the game yet :p

k you look after my son, placate my wife (no funny stuff ..ya I'm looking at you!) and work 40 hours a week, I'll try to rack up 200 hours ...deal? :E ...but seriously if I could find more time I'd be on my 2nd or 3rd character by now instead of just a lvl 16 night elf ..in 3 weeks!!

farrow, I'm more of a fps ww2 kind of guy ..but I absolutely love WoW ...it's sucking the life out of me ...put it this way I have a copy of Halo2 in my xbox that's seen about 20 minutes of gameplay ...just cant put WoW down

My copy of halo2 would be gathering dust if i actually had WOW... but instead it remains regularly played :flame: I'm even playing chrono trigger (SNES game) out of anticipation for WOW.

anyway, farrow, let me put it this way. I tried SWG, and hated it. I tried planetside, and didn't see the point in paying for it. I tried EVE online, and by then i thought that MMO games were never going to intrest me- none of them seemed worth the monthly fee. But then... *harmonic music plays* ...I discovered WOW. the first thing i said was "wow, this owns!!!" (sorry for the pun.) Basically this is the first EVER MMO game that i have liked. and i love it...

p.s. stern, how old's your kid? if you let me babysit him i could teach him how to bring down a combine soldier with a pistol from 20 metres away in one shot ;) unless you've done that allready :LOL:

Suicide42 said:
p.s. stern, how old's your kid? if you let me babysit him i could teach him how to bring down a combine soldier with a pistol from 20 metres away in one shot ;) unless you've done that allready :LOL:

he's a year old ..and he cant quite hold a mouse yet (I tried ..kept on looking at the laser so then I switched to controllers ...kept on sucking on his controller when I tried to play Halo2 DM with him ...drool still hasnt come off) ..but he'll be learning soon enough ...oh and he'll be good ...so good that by age 5 he'll be pwning daddy on a regular basis :rolling:

CptStern said:
he's a year old ..and he cant quite hold a mouse yet (I tried ..kept on looking at the laser so then I switched to controllers ...kept on sucking on his controller when I tried to play Halo2 DM with him ...drool still hasnt come off) ..but he'll be learning soon enough ...oh and he'll be good ...so good that by age 5 he'll be pwning daddy on a regular basis :rolling:

lol :D
I hope i have a kid one day... must be hard work though, i bet he keeps you awake most nights :) My parens say i was a bugger and i always fell asleep when eating dinner (yep, i fell asleep in the dinner...) and then wasn't tired until about 1 in the morning :LOL:

World of warcraft must be quite an easy games for kids to get into... i mean, you just run around attacking things with swords :D you'd have to turn language filter on though , and make sure no nasty players lead him into a high level troll pit :rolling:

Suicide42 said:
I hope i have a kid one day... must be hard work though, i bet he keeps you awake most nights :) My parens say i was a bugger and i always fell asleep when eating dinner (yep, i fell asleep in the dinner...) and then wasn't tired until about 1 in the morning :LOL:

oh god your poor parents ...well right now we're lucky when he sleeps from 8 pm to 8 am ..although sometimes it doesnt quite work out that way ..the other night he was up at 4 am till 7 am ...man there's nothing on tv at that time ...cept all these crazy religious shows

Suicide42 said:
World of warcraft must be quite an easy games for kids to get into... i mean, you just run around attacking things with swords :D you'd have to turn language filter on though , and make sure no nasty players lead him into a high level troll pit :rolling:

ya the only problem I have with WoW is that you kill a lot of animals ..not nice to be teaching kids that winnie the poo's fur will increase my leatherworking skill by +1 :) ...oh and I wont even try to explain Skinning

CptStern said:
ya the only problem I have with WoW is that you kill a lot of animals ..not nice to be teaching kids that winnie the poo's fur will increase my leatherworking skill by +1 :) ...oh and I wont even try to explain Skinning

Maybe they could make a kiddie version... where all the creeps are replaced with bad animals, and they replace the attacking animation with a "persuasion" animation, where your character peacefully resolves their differences. And hunters get winnie the poo as a pet :D

Suicide42 said:

When I was four, I ate a tub of vitamins and ran around in circles for three days without sleeping. Then I slept for about two days solid :D

Farrowlesparrow said:
When I was four, I ate a tub of vitamins and ran around in circles for three days without sleeping. Then I slept for about two days solid :D
Dare you to do it again.... :eek:

Is there a structured storyline to WoW? Or is it just running around doing the odd quest and gaining levels?

oldagerocker said:
Dare you to do it again.... :eek:

Is there a structured storyline to WoW? Or is it just running around doing the odd quest and gaining levels?

there IS a storyline, but you will be too distracted having fun with the individual quests that you don't really notice it. Just witnessing the situation of the world is wnough anyway- some areas are at war, others are peacefully living their lives. It truly feels like a living, breathing world.

Farrowlesparrow said:
So is it really that amazing? I mean, I've heard people rant on about these types of games before, and they've been something of a letdown. I'm just wondering, because I might actually buy it when I have the money, and I don't really want to commit to this game unless its worth it.

Yeah it's worth it. I would always laugh at Everquest and how I would never get addicted to a mmorpg. I even tried FFXI out and was insanely disappointed (I would literally fall asleep trying to level my character). Then I picked up WoW.

WoW's not focued on the hardcore player, where you actually need to put your whole life into the character. Just the Rest system alone makes up lost time, giving the player a 200% increase in gaining experience. Leveling up is actually fun to do, since you're constantly doing something. FFXI had way too many restrictions on where you could go and what you could do. It took way too long to level up. Just reaching level 18 took a month of my life.

With WoW, it took me less than a month to reach lvl 38. I'm constantly going through quests, traveling to vast lands, and attacking those douches on the alliance (PvP incentives aren't implemented all the way however, but is being worked on). Now I'm currently working on getting my mount... which costs 90 gold. Sadly, I have 20 gold in my stash...

If there's any mmorpg you want to start with, it would definitely be WoW. It managed to pull me away from all the FPS's out there. :x

Well I don't have the cash really, and I never did manage to get into the beta :( Maybe sometime after I finish college.

Farrowlesparrow said:

lol! :eek: heheh did you go through withdrawl soon afterwards?

"must get ..more ...flinstones ..vitamins" :LOL:

oh and I like your idea Suicide42 ..although there are no bad animals ...only misunderstood ones :E

Farrowlesparrow said:

yeah i second that,

i m wondering myself ?

Suicide42 said:
Hey dedalus... have you got the Gameplay pack yet? i don't want to DL over 2 GB again.. i've allready done that 3 times before for WOW. But then again... i would do anything for WOW... anything....

I'm going to bed now- school tommorrow :D

not yet ;( hopefully it'll come sometime this week (fingers crossed)

Gorgon said:
yeah i second that,

i m wondering myself ?

well worth it. you're missing out if you don't at least try it. just like you might try to convince others to play HL2 because it's a great experience, it's the same with WoW. there's something in it for everyone, beginners and vets alike. the game comes with the first month free, so it should give you guys enough time to decide whether you want to continue.

hope to see you in-betweens on the servers come february :D

While we are still waiting for our pre-order packs, my freind at school (who i persuaded to buy WOW) waltzed down to GAME, pre ordered a copy and immediately got given his pre order pack including the soundtrack and his beta key.

damn gameplay... why can't they hurry up? *taps fingers impatiently*

*edit* on a completely different note, if you reply to this post ASAP dedalus, you will have 3,000 posts and i will have 3,600 :O the only reason i'm saying this is because i like numbers with lots of zeroes.

well here's number 3000 :D i am now a hacker of men (oh the innuendo!). i'd like to thank BT for my broadband connection, Apple for their fine workmanship that went into this keyboard, and my fingers for not giving up on me. and in an effort to avoid ths post seeming spam-ish, i have concocted the wonderous post you can find below:

yeah gameplay are taking their sweet time about sending them out :hmph: i wonder if Alig got his. i'm gonna give them a ring tomorrow to find out what's going on. i got a customer services reply from them saying i'd have it for definite by 20th december :/

btw, did you order from gameplay or GAME? i keep forgetting where everyone preordered from.

Dedalus said:
yeah gameplay are taking their sweet time about sending them out :hmph: i wonder if Alig got his. i'm gonna give them a ring tomorrow to find out what's going on. i got a customer services reply from them saying i'd have it for definite by 20th december :/

btw, did you order from gameplay or GAME? i keep forgetting where everyone preordered from.

Gameplay. I JUST missed the collectors edition remember? *mumbles about the art book for a while*

WoW is freakin jawesome. Last night i came on to my realm (Terenas) at the Crossroads there was a huge fight between Horde and Alliance, The alliance actually had control of the town for about 5 minutes, then more high level horde guys raided the town again and pushed them out, the whole battle took about 30 minutes. I shoulda took screenshots.

Wow, i've never encountered anything like that yet, can't wait to though

Last night I ran into some pretty high level horde inside/outside stormgarde with my friends. We got owned, then I went to bed.

True story.

I still have around 5 gold.

I never buy equipment. I haven't bought equipment since the first couple days I got the game (Christmas Day). I just find what I need or make it using blacksmithing.

I just buy skills, gryphon rides, repair equipment, blacksmith, etc etc.

I guess it really depends what class you are, but in my opinion from what I have played so far you shouldn't have to buy equipment after the first time you buy it when you're low level. Quests/loot give you all you need, and if you're leathermaker/blacksmith you can make equipment for yourself. Probably other jobs you can do that stuff too...

yeah, i am now a dwarven hunter. my profession is leatherworking, so i can make my armor, my friend can make me guns and bullets with engineering so its nice

I wish I were a hunter because I want a pet :|

Or an engineer so I could have that cute mechanical squirrel.

WoWScrnShot_123104_231539.jpg

Just make sure you guys know what skill tree you guys want to travel down. When I started getting skill points, I would spend them on random crap that had nothing to do with my playing style. I've respecialized at least twice, costing me 10 gold. :frown:

lets have a screenshot competition! :)

here are a couple recent shots of mine:

wowscrnshot0101052138221jc.jpg

wowscrnshot0104050159190me.jpg

Can someone give me the "low-down" on this game? What do you do? Can i become like a blacksmith and make armor and sell it? Or what do you do...?

I have only played the Warcraft RTS games a couple times..

This game kicks ass. Nicknitro, yeah you can craft, but this game is rather PVP centric, at least for anyone who matters ;) I am raising my level so I can better fight the alliance basically, the real fun is in the huge 100 person raids.

CyberSh33p said:
This game kicks ass. Nicknitro, yeah you can craft, but this game is rather PVP centric, at least for anyone who matters ;) I am raising my level so I can better fight the alliance basically, the real fun is in the huge 100 person raids.
What the heck is PvP anyway? I'm told its Player Vs Player but i dont understand why some servers are PvP and others are RP. Whats the difference? Technically aren't you constantly role-playing anyway?

And what are raids?

Sparta- the difference is that on a PVP server, horde can attack you at any moment, and if you're on alliance / horde borderlines, you've got to keep your guard up ALL THE TIME to be catious of high level horde players that can kill you easily (that's all set to change once the punishment system is in place). On non- pvp servers, however- you can only get attacked by NPCs, or if you are actulaly in the capital city of a different race. So basically you don;t have to worry about horde. The annoying thing is, once you get to a really high level, you've got nothing to do except make money :p

Raids are special dungeons that are designed for LARGE groups of HIGH LEVEL characters, which contain huge monsters. We're talking like 40 level 50 or above people need to be in a raid... the battles are very tough.

raid groups are different though... they're basically just when a party is split up into sections- for instance a raid may contain 3 "partys" of 5, which adds up to a "raid group" of 15. It makes the party easier to manage, but you still get the bonuses of being in a party.

And MY PRE ORDER PACK ARRIVED :D

I'm so happy, i'm listening to the soundtrack now :D it's great music for when you're just surfing the net and stuff.

:O mine still hasn't arrived!!

what a load of bollocks...haven't got any credit on my phone to call them either ;( damnation

Dedalus said:

what a load of bollocks...haven't got any credit on my phone to call them either ;( damnation

Don't you have a home phone? :sleep:

and i'm sure it will come tommorrow. Don't forget- recently royal mail has really started to suck. I'm sure it's been sent. I didn't get a conformation email or anything.

*edit* listening to the soundtrack... it's seriously unbearable, the sounds just bring back fond memories of when i was playing the game. The best times were on fridays, when shitty BBc telivision was playing on my TV behind me, and I was casually playing the game, loving the fact that i had a whole weekend to play the game ahead of me. aahhh....

I don't want anymore betas... because when they end it's too painful. I don't want to leave my character! I want to be reasurred by the fact he will always be there- and I will be able to play anytime i want. The tension is killing me! BRING ON THE RETAIL RELEASE!!!

hmm.. I dont know if this game is for me or not.. i want to try it but i dont know. Is there any economy in the game?

nicknitro said:
hmm.. I dont know if this game is for me or not.. i want to try it but i dont know. Is there any economy in the game?
in response to your question from before
yes, you can become a blacksmither(with mining even) and make your own armor and even sell what you make at the auction
anything you need you can find at an auctionhouse
check out http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/
that'll answer all your questions
id recommend WoW to any type of gamer really.. because i wasnt expecting much from it since its an mmorpg... and yet now i play 2-3 hours a day :)

Dedalus said:

Mine has'nt either...i sent a rather abusive email to gameplay last night. Its becoming a piss take and i'm not happy with them at all.

Seriously, I'm sure you guys will recieve your packs tommorrow. I usually recieve Gameplay orders much earlier than when they predict they arrive (one of their warehouses must be near where i live) so i'm sure they've allready sent out yours. I don't think it's a problem with gameplay, i think Blizzard didn't send them early enough or something. Don't forget, they probally produce them in america, so there might have been shipping problems. Either way you'll get yours soon.

just to say- people who have pre- ordered (and people in the closed beta, those lucky bastards.. although i can't complain as i was in the US one :LOL:) will get into the beta before anyone else. People will be allowed into the beta in "waves" as in the closed beta... first it's us, then it's the fileplanet subscribers (might not be as fileplanet is a US site) then it's everyone else who grabs a key early enough.

Suicide42 said:
Seriously, I'm sure you guys will recieve your packs tommorrow. I usually recieve Gameplay orders much earlier than when they predict they arrive (one of their warehouses must be near where i live) so i'm sure they've allready sent out yours. I don't think it's a problem with gameplay, i think Blizzard didn't send them early enough or something. Don't forget, they probally produce them in america, so there might have been shipping problems. Either way you'll get yours soon.

just to say- people who have pre- ordered (and people in the closed beta, those lucky bastards.. although i can't complain as i was in the US one :LOL:) will get into the beta before anyone else. People will be allowed into the beta in "waves" as in the closed beta... first it's us, then it's the fileplanet subscribers (might not be as fileplanet is a US site) then it's everyone else who grabs a key early enough.

wise words. i got mine this morning :D

*pushes fastforward on his time machine* :imu:

Back