Must... Resist... World of Warcraft...

yes, i am very wise.

Y'know... in the absence of WOW i am thinking of writing a fan fiction... a short story about a night elf. The trouble is, by the time i get into it and really enjoy writing it, WOW will be released and everything, including homework, will leave my mind forever and i will be conumed by WOW. scary thought.

and on another note... 400th post!

I got this on tuesday from ebgames and it really is the best mmorpg out there, aswell as one of the best game overall. But i have a question about the professions. Let say you stop learning skinning for example, and you have 20 points towards it. If you one day you decide to start skinning again, when you go and learn it will you start at 0 points or the 20 points you had before stopping it?

Epyon said:
I got this on tuesday from ebgames and it really is the best mmorpg out there, aswell as one of the best game overall. But i have a question about the professions. Let say you stop learning skinning for example, and you have 20 points towards it. If you one day you decide to start skinning again, when you go and learn it will you start at 0 points or the 20 points you had before stopping it?
thats a good question... to which i dont know the answer because ive never quit a profession
what you should do is choose two professions that best suit your class... ie skinning and leatherworking for a hunter(hunter can use chainmail at 40 so they've incorporated chainmail in the leatherworking profession at a high level so you dont have to switch to say blacksmithing or something)
if you're a mage or priest you could do tailoring or enchanting or herbalism
anyways, trying quitting your profession now and go back to it straight away to see what happens
:sniper:

Epyon said:
You start from scratch. I've done it with engineering and mining... and I won't be switching again any time soon.

EDIT:
B_MAN said:
if you're a mage or priest you could do tailoring or enchanting or herbalism
I wouldn't recommend enchanting unless you have easy access to green armor/weapons to disenchant or you are in a guild and everyone gives you the ones they don't need. If you don't it will either take forever to get to a decent level in enchanting or it will take tons of money. Oh, and when you get to higher levels and you want to sell enchantments everyone else will think they are overpriced if you try to make any profit whatsoever (hell, even if you try to just break even). Remember, when you disenchant something it is destroyed (you can't sell it)... so the price of your enchantments has to make up for that. Be prepared for anyone that doesn't know an enchanter to bitch and moan about your "overpricing." I think that profession needs some work.

Also, I hope they fix the prices of fish... because right now they are practically worthless.

wow17mz.jpg

First time at Ironforge last night

wondering whats taking blizzard so long to bring servers back up again.
i'm starting to miss my mount :(

B.Calhoun said:
judge it after you play it, id put money down your opinion changes.

I agree. At first when I was looking at some screenshots before I got the game I was conflicted as to whether I liked the look of the game or not. I liked some of the screenshots, but others..meh.

Now after playing, I love the way the game looks.

2%. yay.

Don't you just hate blizzard downloader? Fileplanet would be better- like the US betas...

I wish i had kept the install file... damnit, i would be playing the game now if i had just kept the damn install file!

nicknitro said:
those graphics look horrible to me.. way to cartoony.
screens dont do it justice
im playing at super high res with everything on high and it looks pretty good
ITS FUN though
thats all that matters

Well i just started working on my other character, level 12 paladin named Warthas (I suck at names)

yeah screens really dont do it justice. It really is a beautiful game. Althought it isnt anything like Doom 3 or Far Cry, it still has an artistic flair and simplicity about the visuals that make the game look fantastic

It's graphics are great considering the low system requirements. Nearly anyone can play.

God dammit! This game is great

does anyone know WHEN the new client for WOW was released? because in one of the betas the client changed to the "full retail" one, and i remember having to download it from crappy blizzard downloader, like this one. But i searched on fileplanet and found this:

http://www.fileplanet.com/99237/0/section/Game-Clients

do you think the second one (open beta) is the same client we are downloading now, just without patches? i would rather get 100kb/s on fileplanet then just download 1GB of patches or something from blizzard, than download the full 2.5GB at 20kb/s.

Well i got my pre-order pack yesterday sometime when i was at work and now i don't want to download 2.5gb over the blizzard shitty thing so does anyone know if the american retail fully patched is good enough? do i have to change something for it to connect to the european server list? ta.

nicknitro said:
those graphics look horrible to me.. way to cartoony.

Don't expect to see an MMORPG with any kind of big scale to look anything close to farcry, doom3 or half life2 in the near future...it just won't happen. The game looks alot better and feels alot more alive than most games in motion. Oh and i'm not digging that guy but them screens are quite bad compared to what it can look like at 1280x1024 6aa/16af.

Alig said:
Don't expect to see an MMORPG with any kind of big scale to look anything close to farcry, doom3 or half life2 in the near future...it just won't happen. The game looks alot better and feels alot more alive than most games in motion. Oh and i'm not digging that guy but them screens are quite bad compared to what it can look like at 1280x1024 6aa/16af.
EQ2 graphics are very photorealistic.......WoW is just different.

Suicide42 said:
does anyone know WHEN the new client for WOW was released? because in one of the betas the client changed to the "full retail" one, and i remember having to download it from crappy blizzard downloader, like this one. But i searched on fileplanet and found this:

http://www.fileplanet.com/99237/0/section/Game-Clients

do you think the second one (open beta) is the same client we are downloading now, just without patches? i would rather get 100kb/s on fileplanet then just download 1GB of patches or something from blizzard, than download the full 2.5GB at 20kb/s.

Alig said:
Well i got my pre-order pack yesterday sometime when i was at work and now i don't want to download 2.5gb over the blizzard shitty thing so does anyone know if the american retail fully patched is good enough? do i have to change something for it to connect to the european server list? ta.

our version is different to the US version. we have all the experimental stuff that Blizzard wants to try out on the beta testers first before they release it into a retail atmosphere in the US. there was a big hoo-ha on the EU WoW boards about the CB guys having to re-download the client because Blizzard wanted to change their version. so you guys are gonna have to download it i'm afraid ;(

i left mine on overnight and it's done 1.5GB. should be done by tomorrow morning. and i don't think they'll be starting the beta until mid-week anyway so you've got time to download it.

Dedalus said:
our version is different to the US version. we have all the experimental stuff that Blizzard wants to try out on the beta testers first before they release it into a retail atmosphere in the US. there was a big hoo-ha on the EU WoW boards about the CB guys having to re-download the client because Blizzard wanted to change their version. so you guys are gonna have to download it i'm afraid ;(

i left mine on overnight and it's done 1.5GB. should be done by tomorrow morning. and i don't think they'll be starting the beta until mid-week anyway so you've got time to download it.

oh that's good- i thought it had allready started and we were missing out on playing time.

i'm 45% done- i started it around midnight last night i think. It should be done sometime tommorrow.

This test is to re-assure that all the European servers can take the strain of thousands of eager gamers... Which means there will be lots of servers... so EVERYONE who is getting into this beta (which will probally just result in me, Dedalus and Alig as everyone else is allready having fun with the US version... ) has to find out what server we are all going on before they start playing- that way we can play together.

In the full game i'm going to be horde, as i've spent so much time doing the alliance quests in the beta's it would be a relief to see a change of scenery (i've done all the alliance quests in the starting areas four times over now) . So can all you European people be persuaded to go to Horde too, or have you got your eyes set on a specific aliance race? Whatevr you choose for retail, we should definately choose the same side in the beta (I suppose i could play through those starting missions one more time)...

Where in hell can i register my acount, plz i cant find it.

i was planning on being a Gnome Mage, but i don't mind being Horde. i'll probably be a Tauren Druid or something.

let me know what you guys have decided.

EDIT: i can't seem to register my account either. keeps taking me to an Error 404 page. servers must be packed already :/

I'm 91% done. Can we play as soon as we have downloaded the client and registered our account?

And dedalus- let's be Alliance in the beta test and Horde in the real thing ok? then you can try out your Gnome mage ;)

yeah you can create your account straight away but i think the servers are down for the moment.

one thing though, on the registration page i can't for the life of me find the UK or GB! seriously...it's not on the list...the nearest there is to it is 'Britische Jungferminseln' which means British young islands according to babelfish. very odd.

i wanted to be Alliance in retail but i guess i could create an ALT as a horde. Alliance for Beta it is then!

Don't you get annoyed with being alliance? i mean we've been alliance in every beta, and while creating a new character never gets boring, i enjoyed the process a whole lot more when i was a starting Undead warlock, because the enviroments were new and varied. It's like a completely different game- abominations wander the streets, foul trees hang over you and eerie anemies stalk you in the shadows. If we have our main characters on Horde it will be like a new start- instead of thinking "oh, i've done all of this in the betas" we will be thinking "hey, this is new! i can't wait to go over here!"

Oh oh and if we are all the same side, we HAVE to make a guild. "Hl2.net" would be a great guild, we could have all the people who are actually from HL2.net as the leaders, then all the regular people could just be our freinds and people who we invite in game. who knows, we may even inspire loads of people to join the forums! Does anyone else want to do this, or are you just going to leave me and bugger off with someone else's guild ;(

i have an affinity for gnomes and dwarves (especially ironforge) :eek: but i'll definitely make a Horde char for retail so no worries there.

i agree with the idea of forming a hl2.net guild. but i don't think we'll be able to actually call it "HL2.net". i think something along the lines of 'Knights of the Crowbar' or something similar would be acceptable to Blizzards naming policy.

Dedalus said:
i have an affinity for gnomes and dwarves (especially ironforge) :eek: but i'll definitely make a Horde char for retail so no worries there.

i agree with the idea of forming a hl2.net guild. but i don't think we'll be able to actually call it "HL2.net". i think something along the lines of 'Knights of the Crowbar' or something similar would be acceptable to Blizzards naming policy.

haha, Knights of the Crowbar! that's excellent!

That settles it. The HL2.net guild will be made! Who's with me?

Yes! I am with you!

I wish I'd pre-ordered now!

Unless anyone objects, The guild name will be "Order of the Crowbar".

I will be the guild leader for now (this can change later if one of us decides i'm shit).

Anyone from Hl2.net who is a well known member (people like me, Dedalus, Alig, Kangy and more) will automatically be promoted to the supervisors- overlords of the clan, as we all respect each other and have a fairly good knowledge of WOW allready. People who are new to the forums (not well known or only just joined) will be the regular members (but can be promoted if they show potential). You will be allowed to invite who you like, but they must remain as members unless they show maturity and potential.

This will be a fairly relaxed Guild- but I want us to organise many raids and high level quests for certain dates. I also want this guild to be big- but not a mindless rabble of unconnected individuals. All the members will be people we know, although there will be no strict rules for inviting people.

^^^what do you think of that? Does it sound like a guild you want to be a part of? (this is a rhetorical question, OF COURSE YOU DO!!!)

If it comes big enough we can even start introducing mind control, and my dictatorshi-- i mean, rescourceful leadership will help us become a great guild :D

I'm interested. But I live in Canada, so I guess that is a problem? :|

I have a 25 human warrior right now, but it's on a US server.

Have me run something less complicated like events, since I've not a great deal of experience in MMO's like WoW. We also need a motto/poem thing.

A prize* to anyone who can do it in trochaic octameter!

*prize may be worth less than sand in the desert.

i create a Gnome Mage on Beta 7 (PvP)

see you all there folks!

Suicide42 said:
Unless anyone objects, The guild name will be "Order of the Crowbar".

I will be the guild leader for now (this can change later if one of us decides i'm shit).

Anyone from Hl2.net who is a well known member (people like me, Dedalus, Alig, Kangy and more) will automatically be promoted to the supervisors- overlords of the clan, as we all respect each other and have a fairly good knowledge of WOW allready. People who are new to the forums (not well known or only just joined) will be the regular members (but can be promoted if they show potential). You will be allowed to invite who you like, but they must remain as members unless they show maturity and potential.

This will be a fairly relaxed Guild- but I want us to organise many raids and high level quests for certain dates. I also want this guild to be big- but not a mindless rabble of unconnected individuals. All the members will be people we know, although there will be no strict rules for inviting people.

^^^what do you think of that? Does it sound like a guild you want to be a part of? (this is a rhetorical question, OF COURSE YOU DO!!!)

If it comes big enough we can even start introducing mind control, and my dictatorshi-- i mean, rescourceful leadership will help us become a great guild :D

arghhh! damn brits and their fancy overseas servers!! I want in!

40 MB to go... i can feel the WOW universe condensing around me! soon i will be free to roam it once more!

And yea Cpt.stern, brits own. we are the descendents of your ancestors anyway... if that makes sense... we may even have the same great X 20 grandfather or something!!! Come home, stern... come back to the country that spawned you americans... come back and embrace our shitty internet providers!

Suicide42 said:
40 MB to go... i can feel the WOW universe condensing around me! soon i will be free to roam it once more!

And yea Cpt.stern, brits own. we are the descendents of your ancestors anyway... if that makes sense... we may even have the same great X 20 grandfather or something!!! Come home, stern... come back to the country that spawned you americans... come back and embrace our shitty internet providers!

argh! I'm canadian NOT "american" ...well actually I'm also european cuz my parents are ..well they're from spain ...so your 20 X great father could have raped and pillaged my ancestors village in spain ..or vice versa! ...still doesnt help me get in the guild ;)

CptStern said:
argh! I'm canadian NOT "american" ...well actually I'm also european cuz my parents are ..well they're from spain ...so your 20 X great father could have raped and pillaged my ancestors village in spain ..or vice versa! ...still doesnt help me get in the guild ;)

told you! you should move to europe! or maybe you can open the North American Chapter of the Order of the Crowbar or something :D

How goes the European beta? What kind of numbers are there playing?

Back