My first LCD.

Irksome

Reaction score
So after more than 10+ years of CRT use, I'll finally be dumping my old 15in ViewSonic G71F+ and replacing it with this...

Acer Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009091

From the reviews I've read it's a pretty solid moniter, but I had a few questions, becuase I don't know a whole lot about LCDs.

- Is 5MS a good response time or will I see a lot of ghosting and blurring when I play games?
- Can an LCD strain your eyes like a CRT can?
- Do LCDs have refresh rates? And if so are they the same as in their CRT cousins?

Thanks

5MS is great. My monitor is a 8MS and I see no ghosting.

Not that I've noticed. Looking at a LCD seems tons better than a CRT.

Not sure about CRT refresh rates, but most LCDs are 60-75.

LCDs are easier on the eyes. I can't stand CRTs.

LCD's are less straining on the eyes. Anything at or below 8ms IMHO is fine for gaming.

That particular LCD is GREAT. I had a LAN party at PC-Club where I used to work and used it to play Call of Duty 2 there, completely wonderful.

Zephos can learn from this man.

Zephos can learn from this man.

The fact that I'm planning to get one as soon as I get the money means I have already learnt quite some time prior to this thread ;)

5ms in general is good but they all differ on what their '5ms' rated panel will actually look like. Acer is a good value usually.

I just got a ViewSonic VA2012 20" Wide screen LCD. The claimed response time is 8 ms. I have no problems at all with games, even when the frame rates approach 120 FPS.

Back