My love to valve, you shaped my life

I think it's a matter of balance...having fun with a pc game or games yet still participating in other activities and being part of groups like sports team, church groups, chess club, whatever.

Wow i totally respect that Ravioli , i feel the same way, games have actually changed my life. If it werent for games i would probably be drinking and doing drugs and stuff thank the lord.

While you might be happy, it doesn't mean that it is healthy. Someone made a reference to heroin making you happy, and therefore by your definition that would make it ok...

Psychologists and psychiatrists normally define
substance dependence as a disorder characterized by criteria that include spending a great
deal of time using the substance; using it more often than one intends; thinking about
reducing use or making repeated unsuccessful efforts to reduce use; giving up important
social, family or occupational activities to use it; and reporting withdrawal symptoms when one stops using it.

How many of the preceding would you consider to be at least partially true?

Adam

I am addicted to pc/ps2/boozeee/girls/...

But I cant tell you that my pc/ps2 got in the way of friendships or actually helped me with school

I'm sensing almost religeous lovin' here...

I'm addicted to cigarets, booze, pod, my girl, PC, sunsets, drawing, dreaming...but hell not to a game.
Once you played it trough...give it a rest for a while...Then when boredom strikes and you have no inspiration or whatsoever...play the damn game.
Beware of 'loving' a company they don't do it because they love the fans outthere. They do it for money...And Gabe Newell...Well he has a good commercial mind. Knows how to create a hype. HL1 and 2 aren't great games because of Gabe. It's because of the artist who can dream up those characters, environments and gameplay...It's a good game, Like it alot -not love- but it hasn't changed my life. It's like seeing a good movie, you talk about it in the pub but that's just it. See the outside some more. You talk about creativity, focussing on the same thing over and over again kills it. There's more good work, dreams, stories, concepts out there...Broaden your view

blck_productions said:
I'm addicted to cigarets, booze, pod, my girl, PC, sunsets, drawing, dreaming...but hell not to a game.
Once you played it trough...give it a rest for a while...Then when boredom strikes and you have no inspiration or whatsoever...play the damn game.
Beware of 'loving' a company they don't do it because they love the fans outthere. They do it for money...And Gabe Newell...Well he has a good commercial mind. Knows how to create a hype. HL1 and 2 aren't great games because of Gabe. It's because of the artist who can dream up those characters, environments and gameplay...It's a good game, Like it alot -not love- but it hasn't changed my life. It's like seeing a good movie, you talk about it in the pub but that's just it. See the outside some more. You talk about creativity, focussing on the same thing over and over again kills it. There's more good work, dreams, stories, concepts out there...Broaden your view

/me drags Bick to a political conscript detention facility for rehab, re-education, and re-socialization

Some people are missunderstanding me, some people think i play only half-life i noticed. No, as the threads titel, im talking about Valve, not only half-life. Also everything regarding half-life, such as sites, movies, stories, and the theories and questoins of half-life story. Designs and everything, not just start the game and play, but everything that bears the name "half-life".

He's got a point there :/
All things HL in the world WOULD keep you busy for a lifetime.

>>>> * 15357 drags Bick to a political conscript detention facility for rehab, re-eduCation, and re-socialization *

:) i guess I could use one of those...But it's way to late...ask my dad

I'm 20, and I discovered HL2 (2, not 1) early this year, like I said in an introductory post. It happened right after I lost a cat I'd loved and taken care of for two years. This experience was all the more bitter because I'd predicted it would happen, and my efforts to prevent it from happening went to waste. Also, other assorted crap happened to be going down at the same time: I quit my job, I worried about my studies, I lost interest in the things that had been an integral part of me for a long time. I couldn't find any strength or drive for anything anymore. My spirits went down the drain.

Playing the game helped me get through this time. I'm still not how I should be, but it helped me overcome certain things. Pretending to be another individual in another time and another place, making up for an emptiness you see in yourself by acting through that medium... it's a catharsis. That's why I dig The Freeman. Because he's me, in another way. I play the Ravenholm chapter at night, sometimes, if I'm feeling especially miserable and useless (I admit that this may be overkill... I've done it maybe three or four times).

So, I'm a big fan of the HL series, for being everything that it is. But I'd still warn people against making it a personal god. It has it's place, and that place may be relatively high on your list of commitments, but it's still a construct, a piece of art, something produced via the collective effort of human minds. It's not transcendent. It's not meant to dictate the course of a person's life, it just hasn't the authority to do that. I really believe games are the next ground-breaking art-form, but that doesn't mean it should act as a substitute for other important things, like your career/studies, or social contact (you don't have to be a smiling, giggling freak to be socially skilful), or physical activity, or whatever.

But that's just me. Good luck to you, whatever you choose.

PS: The cat I lost has returned, after four months without supplied food and shelter. He was picked up and turned in to a veterinary hospital yesterday. He's in bad shape (thin, crazed, and with a large wound under his front left leg from the collar I put on him... the leg got tangled up in it and it cut deeper and deeper into the flesh). I've been told there's a slim chance he may turn out fine.

Haha Ravioli, good story! Mine is similar, except Valve is Id and Half Life is DoomIII.

Back