My mod idea... Edge of Justice.

<Shouts>

Iiiiiiiiis thiiiiiiis faaaaaaaaar eeeeenoooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuugh?

I haven't read the posts in this thread, just a quick advise for Brian Damage:

Think of a better, more original title. Those mod names like "edge/mission/etc of darkness/justice/mercy/etc" are so annoying :- (

that worm thing is going to be very difficult to animate, I'm curious to see how you're gonna pull it off.

:afro:

Dile: I'm open to suggestions. How about "Fringe War"?

Something "edge"-ey, anyway. The title should emphasise that the character you play, basically a Junior-Grade Space Cop, has been stranded on a planet at the edge of the Galaxy. Also, "Edge of Justice" was supposed to be an obscure pun along the lines of the "Arm of the Law".

Arm of the Law = Long.
Edge of Justice = Sharp.

Incitatus: Me too:E. The challenge is going to be really fun.

"JustIce" <--that name remonds me of some corny movie where they cryo-freeze prisoners (not minority report).

Well, all converstion about the title aside, here's some new concept art:

This, peoples, is Morris (Serial no. M07715). Morris was once head of the visible workforce (which is to say, the porters, cleaners and restaurant staff) on the luxury star cruiser Hyperion. He still considers himself to be in charge, even though the Hyperion is now in two pieces in the Marauders' ship junkyard.

He has taken to roaming the maintenance corridors of the ship, staying out of sight of the Marauders, and only moving between the halves under cover of darkness. He has learned that cooking utensils and power tools can be used for more than just feeding people and mending things...

Already several Marauder soldiers and toilers have disappeared. Their companions generally say that they scuttled of into some dark area for a quiet snooze or a snack, only to vanish suddenly. Sometimes a muffled *THUNK* is heard.

Apart from the Marauders, Morris has been on his own for a while. This has caused him to develop several... idiosyncrasies.

Attachments

• Morris2col.jpg
    Morris2col.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
An update of Morris, as it was pointed out to me that he should be more rusty and so on.

Now he squeaks when he walks.:E

[EDIT] Again, I only have the final version, so that's what you're seeing re-uploaded, fifteen years later.

Attachments

• Morris2col.jpg
    Morris2col.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
A spirola, a member of an inoffensive little species of lichen-browsers. Effectively harmless, though it will try to escape in an unusual way if prodded or kicked.

It's method of escape will allow the player to use it as a weapon.

Inhabits rock-strewn fields or abandoned concreted areas. Basically anywhere where the lichen that it eats grows.

Comes in multiple colours, like starfishes do.:E

Attachments

• Spirolacol.jpg
    Spirolacol.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Looking nice, Brian. I'm looking forward to playing it =)
Got any site up yet? And more importantly, a forum?

*thinks a moment*
If you haven't got a site or forum up and running yet, Brian, I would be very happy to make and host one for you.

Some not-to-recent examples of pages I've made: (in Swedish)
CoHn LAN
Klass8

I can do better than that now =)

I am at your service, if you need my assistance =)

Originally posted by mrBadger
This just keeps going from strength to strength :)

Keep it up, I'm watching :D

Yes sir!

<Starts working overtime>

If I can weasle out of having to get a part-time job at the local supermarket :)x), I'll be able to put in a lot more work on this.:thumbs:

Originally posted by [CoHn]FuSeD
*thinks a moment*
If you haven't got a site or forum up and running yet, Brian, I would be very happy to make and host one for you.

Some not-to-recent examples of pages I've made: (in Swedish)
CoHn LAN
Klass8

I can do better than that now =)

I am at your service, if you need my assistance =)

Woah, those are some smooth sites, dude.

Wouldn't mind a site in a little while (would some university webspace be suitable?), but I think I'll leave the forum idea for a little later. I'll definately come to you first, though, [CoHn]FuSeD :D.

How long does all that take you to do? I know next to nothing about serious web-coding. All I can do is add two and two in JavaScript and come up with Null.:E

Oh, give me a couple of days (depends on how much school work I've got to do that week:x ), and I'll knock up a site for you...
Sure, the University webspace would be nice, but I've got some of my own which would be more than enough (and I don't think your university would be so happy if they found out that you have been giving me the password to access their FTP server).

Just PM me, and I'll start building :cheers:

Will do. :thumbs:

"Allt fixat... snart fixat lokalen också."

Swedish is a cool language.:E

Whhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrr*clickclick*

Here's the Grelget Mercenary. This is the Guard version. Commando version to follow.

Grelgets are a race that are allied to the Morod' Hai by means of payment... but they are not entirely happy with their lot...

Basically serves as a guard in the Marauder citadel. Very tough, and has an unusual feature...

Comes in Squad Leader, Squaddie and Heavy Weapons versions (Squaddie version shown). Leaders have better weapons (possibly including grenades), and more communications gear; Heavies carry heavy weapons and have reinforced lower legs...

Used to get into areas and terrain types that Marauders don't do well on, they rank above Marauder Soldiers, but below Marauder Elites...

Attachments

• Grelget1col.jpg
    Grelget1col.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Well, I'll have one from [CoHn]FuSeD when I have enough material...

Or were you talking about my crappy lil' university webpages? :E

forget mods Brian. this could be developed into a game with its own engine!:bounce: , oh man I wish I could program aswell as model 3D stuff, .. but hey I guess thats what a team is for :)

Thanks, dude.

Maybe one day, clarky, maybe one day...

I have next to no idea how to program a 3D game engine... but I'm studying that sort of thing...

Personally, I do hope to work for a games company one day... maybe even start my own.

But, for now, I think I'll stick to making a mod ;).

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Well, I'll have one from [CoHn]FuSeD when I have enough material...

Or were you talking about my crappy lil' university webpages? :E

the one from [CoHn]FuSeD, don't think I've seen your Uni one :)

PS: Sorry I've been late getting replies to you, I'm snowed under and been rushing around, I wish the weekend would hurry up so I can have a break lol

Well, as for me, I'm working on more art and trying to get a handle on gMax...

Stay tuned, folks...:thumbs:

EDIT: Oh, and Fenric? Don't look at the uni one... just don't.:eek:

Originally posted by Brian Damage
EDIT: Oh, and Fenric? Don't look at the uni one... just don't.:eek:

you know when a parent tells their kid not to do something, and it does it even more? yeah, this is the same thing :cheese: *runs off to find Brian's Uni site* :p tee hee hee

Xylen weapons, or some of them, at least. The general theme of the Xylen armoury is plant weapons with functions based upon enzymes, catalysts and poisons.

On the far left we have what could be referred to as a "Pineapple Grenade" (the Xylen name is jhosa kilteno, literally "Death that grows on a bush"). This weapon is activated by pulling out its stalk, which ruptures a bladder in the centre of the fruit, allowing two different enzymes to mix in the flesh of the fruit. This results in a blast of superheated gases that explosively shatters the hard shell and causes major damage to anything nearby. Not as damaging as a Terran grenade, but far more plentiful...

In the center we have a Gas Pod (mehesa, "Stinker"), which contains a gaseous substance specifically designed to render any flesh-based creature unconsious. The pod may either be thrown, causing it to shatter and release its contents in one short-lived cloud, or the stalk may be removed and the pod rolled underarm. The latter method may be used to slowly fill the air in any room with gas, which should prevent any victims from noticing until it's too late...

On the right is the newly-developed Berry Launcher (khemba gholi, "Fruit Thrower"), a weapon which fires small purple berries of an explosive nature (shown) at a medium rate of fire. One berry alone won't do much, but several in succession can knock an enemy off its feet. Sits on the user's forearm, with the user's other hand steadying it. Carries twenty berries in the yellow-green pod on the back.

More to follow. Tell me what you think...

[EDIT]: Here's another one that's gone missing over the years. Guess you'll just have to use your imagination...

Last edited:
Thanks mate. First bit of art I've done in a week (been very busy doing other things).

Next ones up (sooner or later) should be the Xylen Thorn Thrower and Bounce Pod...

No, not really... Fenric's giving creative support and the occasional art tip, and [CoHn]FuSeD (or however you write that :E) has made the very kind offer to make a website for EoJ... but no team, as of yet.

Not even sure if I know how to go about getting one together...:eek:

Well, complete all of your art concepts and stuff, that would be a great start. I haven't been keeping up with the thread too much, but you should do some drawings of the landscape. I'd like to know that this strange world looks like. I imagine lush green trees with oddly colored fruit.

That last comment gave me an idea. Basically to get ammunition, you run yourself into the tree, and it knocks down the fruit, which then you use as ammunition.

Get as many ideas as you can written down. Try to think about things like weapon damage types, does it explode, do these characters crawl or walk, how much ammo can people hold, what size are these creatures, etc. In other words make a design document (or multiple documents).

When you have the entire concept ready, all you need is people to contribute. Coders will know exactly what they need to do. Modelers will know what the creatures need to look like. Animators will know hot to make them move. Texture artists will know what to make. Level artists will know what style to follow. Basically you’re ready to make the MOD from start to finish.

Originally posted by phantomdesign
Well, complete all of your art concepts and stuff, that would be a great start. I haven't been keeping up with the thread too much, but you should do some drawings of the landscape. I'd like to know that this strange world looks like. I imagine lush green trees with oddly colored fruit.

That last comment gave me an idea. Basically to get ammunition, you run yourself into the tree, and it knocks down the fruit, which then you use as ammunition.

Get as many ideas as you can written down. Try to think about things like weapon damage types, does it explode, do these characters crawl or walk, how much ammo can people hold, what size are these creatures, etc. In other words make a design document (or multiple documents).

When you have the entire concept ready, all you need is people to contribute. Coders will know exactly what they need to do. Modelers will know what the creatures need to look like. Animators will know hot to make them move. Texture artists will know what to make. Level artists will know what style to follow. Basically you’re ready to make the MOD from start to finish.

Well, I was going to post some pics of the world sooner or later. Your imagining is very close (add pink and orange to your list of colours...;)).

Also, that idea about the ammo is very similar to what I was thinking... basically, the player is given seeds or bulbs that may be planted in any area with fertile soil... these rapidly grow into ammunition plants (being specially engineered, they don't grow wild). This also lowers the availability of Xylen ammunition in areas where there is no place to plant them...

And, yup, doing all that stuff. Got a small file going... when I have most of the concepts done, I think I might turn them into a size comparison chart, and post it...

Well, it'll be good to have people helping. I hope I get to do a squidgeon of modeling and coding myself, though :E.

Originally posted by Pendragon
Looking interesting, and having all the design stuff you seem to have done can't help but help your recruiting.

I see quite a few science errors in your reasoning, but I'm not going to go there because that, as far as I can tell, is completely unimportant, as long as the pseudoscience BS sounds convincing (which I bet it will to most, but I'm taking Biology right now, so it stuck out).

Yeah, well, I was wondering if anyone would notice :E.

The Bounce Pod Launcher (right) and Thorn Thrower (left). Each weapon's ammo is shown above it.

The Bounce Pod Launcher (jertika nilu "Painful Bouncer") grows its own ammo, so its fire rate is very low. However, it is a very powerful weapon.

Basically, the pod bounces once fired, with shock-activated chemical reactions in the blue pads adding an explosive burst of kinetic energy to the pod each time it hits the ground (or something else). It keeps bouncing, going faster and faster (and, accordingly, higher and higher if you're outside) until it explodes after the tenth bounce or so.

Should be fun to fire it into a small room full of enemies, then close the door...

boing
boing!
Boing
Boing!
Boing
Boing!

BOING
BOING!
BOING
BOING!
BOOOOOM!

It'll knock over any reasonably-sized enemy it hits once it gets going fast enough, and the explosion should take down anything left standing...

The Thorn Thrower (shota gholi, "Thorn Thrower") uses compressed air (stored in the blue/green bladder on the back) to fire either armour piercing or toxic thorns (AP thorn shown), which are (at first) grown and carried on a vine (similar to the ammo chains used on some Terran weapons), which can be seen on the side of the weapon. The air reservoir must be given time to recharge after prolonged bursts... basically a Xylen machine gun...

[EDIT]: Yup, another missing one, a decade and a half later. Sorry, to anyone reading this...

Last edited:
This is a full suit of Terran ballistic armour, posed around a "dummy" for convenience. Basically a future version of kevlar body armour. The lowest level of Terran armour. Fairly good at stopping slugs and impact weapons, and not much else.

Attachments

• BallisticArmourFCol.jpg
    BallisticArmourFCol.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 101
Edge of Justice:

1. The player character is a space cop.
2. The story takes place on the edge of the known galaxy.
3. The whole thing together is supposed to sound a bit like "Long arm of the law".
4. It sounds cool :E.

Yes, Confused (with the crazy letters and [] things) has offered to do a website, which will hopefully be realised when I have some more solid stuff...

And as for the DD... I'll see what I can do...

(And the concept isn't actually going to be modeled from, I'll make a rather more simply posed version in black amd white for that...)

Brian Damage said:
Yes, Confused (with the crazy letters and [] things) has offered to do a website, which will hopefully be realised when I have some more solid stuff...
*FuSeD leaps onto the stage, balancing a horse on his head*

Yeupp, I'm the master of webs, the masterweb, the web of masters and the webmaster, all at the same time!

*FuSeD dances of the stage, now balancing a goat on his left thumb*

Back