My Own Computer

Reaction score
I finally got my own computer! It was kicking ass for awhile until all this bullshit started to happen, I've had it for less than a week. For some ****ed up reason my computer is restarting at random times. Before it restarts it flashes a blue screen but i cant read anything on it because it restarts right after that. I ran a virus scan and found one virus. Its gone now but my computer is still restarting.

I've downloaded my sound drivers and video drivers too.

Help me someone

Have you scanned for spyware? Get AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, scan with both.
Have you run scandisk? BSODs are often caused by bad sectors on your disk.
Have you defragged your harddrive? Also can help.

ive ran adaware, but not spybot. guess ill try defraging too

EDIT: Hopefully it doesnt randomly restart while defragging :frown:

I maybe a virus, or it maybe a bad power supply. To hard to tell.

[Edit]: Does your computer restart when you are playing games?

dont reformat thats the easy way out

when have these restarts happened?(while web browsing, playing a game etc..)

-download Motherboard monitor 5 and prime95(cpu stress test) and tell us your temperture you get after say 10 minutes of prime95.

-run memtest86

if memtest passes and your temps are good, then lets try software..

run msconfig, uncheck everything in startup tab. go to services tab. check non microsoft services box, uncheck those services. restart

do adaware then spybot, then scan for viruses(housecall.trendmicro.com is free)

If you want to be able to read the BSOD, then boot into Windows, open System Properties (right click My Computer and go to Properties), go to the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery and uncheck Automatically restart under System Failure.

Could also be the PSU or RAM, of course. Can you give some detailed specs?

IMO its a hardware prob, please check the following:

1. RAM
2. PSU
3. Graphics Card
4. **and most importantly, check if your mobo is LEVEL, i had this problem not to long ago, some of the mobo screws wernt in all the way, while some where and caused it to not boo, and as you stated, blue screens that lasted a second...theres a cetain name for the prob, but I cant remember it :p**

Mother Board: Asus a7n8x-x
Processor: Barton 2500+
RAM: 512mb ddr pc-3200
Hard Drive: Western Digital 80gb
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600xt

That enough info on my comp?

EDIT: I'm defraging now

What about your power supply? How many watts? Who makes it?

Go in your computer case and make sure all power cables and IDE cables are secured. One of them could be loose causing the problem. Also make sure your graphics card and RAM is properly seated in their respective slots.

[Edit]: Defragging is not going to solve your problem right now. Run scandisk instead.

Check if you mobo is level as stated in my previous post ?, or havent you touched the inside of the comp since you got/installed it ?

i just checked all the connections, they seem to be nice and tight. Lets see how it runs

actually, its just now gotten alot worse. I was lucky to get back on, it would restart, load windows, restart

this ****ing sucks. I'm on SpuD's comp right now, hes helping me fix my comp

Goes from good, to bad, to ****ing help me I am about to rip out my hair >_< to good again :) ahhhh the enjoyment with pcs.

Back