My system specs. and HL2

Reaction score
I'm on the fence whether to upgrade or not. I'm planning on waiting until I get HL2, but I'd like other people's opinions as well. My current system specs are below. The problem is, my motherboard can't support any better processors. So if I want a better cpu, I'll need to get another mobo as well. I'm also debating whether I wanna get an ati 9800. I'm looking for cheap computer sites and places to buy... Any suggestions?

You machine should run hl2 alright

if you thinking of getting the 9800 id suggest thinking about getting a 9500 or 9600 (both DX9 cards and +100$ cheaper) and use the rest of the cash to upgrade your CPU. The $100 would get you a barton 2500

A 9800 running on a 1.33 CPU would be bottle necked by the processor and you wouldnt be using the card to its full potential.

if you go for the cheaper card (still great cards and faster than your 4200 by a good amount) and the CPU upgrade your machine would be more balanced with all components being used very close to their max potiential.

Having a balanced system will mean having much smoother, enjoyable gameplay across the board.

Edit:
Additionally you will want to think about upgrading to some ddr ram, pc133 just doesnt cut the mustard these days.

given that your still running sdram id recommend forgoing the highend video card to upgrade other parts of your machine to get better balance.

Keeping the 4200 and just upgrading your CPU and RAM will make a huge difference in the speed with which your machine will play games.
You could easily with the $275+ your thinking of spending on the card you could upgrade to a Barton 2500 ($95ish) with 512 of ddr 2700 ($95ish) and youll probably need a new mobo ($85-120ish)

that hardware WITH your 4200 would play HL2 MUCH MUCH better than if you simply dropped a 9800 into your current system.
Again balance in all your hardware is what your aiming for

Thanks a ton man. I would've gotten DDR ram before, but my mobo is just too old and doesn't support it :( I now plan to get a new mobo and some ram and a new cpu. I'm not that smart with computer hardware... so this helps me a lot.

No problem, just trying to help keep folks from making expensive mistakes :)
The 9800 would make things better, and it would play hl2 better than with the 4200, but not by much. upgrading the cpu and ram will make a much bigger difference :)

Keep in mind:
If you get some newer bits say the barton, ddr2700 and the new mobo, youll be at a point where your video card has become the weakest link in your system (though still acceptable). You could then think about getting a new dx9 card.

Back