Need a new router: Helplife2.net to the rescue!

Dekstar

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Right, so at the moment I'm living in a shared house with 2 other people. We've got a Netgear WPN824v3 hooked up to a separate modem, and quite frankly it sucks. Whenever I try and torrent (perfectly legitimately) shows and anime, there's a 95% chance it'll crash the router. Similarly, whenever I refresh servers for various Steam games (from CSS to TF2), the router will just sputter and die, and not let any net traffic through at all until I perform either a soft-reset from in the settings, or a hard reset (notably harder given the router is in a housemate's room, whom I don't particularly like asking anything of/talking to, though he's a nice bloke).
But crashing isn't the only problem; my housemates both use the internet a fair amount for streaming/general browsing, and I occasionally host a minecraft server for me and just 1 friend, but even with general web browsing it can get pretty laggy.

So, with your help I'd like to get a router with the following:
Non-crashy when torrenting
preferably some form of QoS to allow me to add priority to my server (not all the time, obviously, I'm not a dick) when I want to run it.

I mean there are plenty of other features I'd use, like external USB HDD's plugged directly into the router, and in-built torrent programs so I don't have to leave my laptop running and can instead just get files off my external when needed. Also I'd like it to be Wireless N, since that'll help with range etc (not that I'm far from the router, but I'm behind 2 walls and a floor).
Oh and I'm pretty ok with installing DD_WRT or Tomato if that's necessary for bringing out certain features in a router.
My current ideas for routers are:
Asus RTN16 - Inbuilt torrent client, external HDD ports, QoS (Outbound only? Dunno if that makes a difference), and support for open-source firmwares. Looks nifty, but a bit on the expensive side at £78.

I don't think I'd like to go Netgear again, since they all just seem like cheap pieces of crap. I've never had a Linksys or anything, so suggestions will be welcome.

Back