need help choosing a road bike...

unozero

Tank
Reaction score
Hey peeps longtime no see.
Anyways I'm planning in using my Christmas and Birthday money to buy a new bike, along with money out of my own pocket I want to spend around $500-$550
I'm 6.2' and I weigh 260 so it needs to be pretty sturdy.I'm planning on using it daily to ride to work and to take trips down the Riverbed towards the beach...which is very fun I might add.I bought a Magazine "bike buyers" guide the other day but the cheapest bike in there was like $1400 -__-
I don't mind buying off Craig's list or Amazon btw....if someone has some spare time and looks at craigslist in CA Orange County area...because I honestly don't know what to look for.
What are some good brands?
Do they even have CF frames in that price range?
buying used off Craig's list great or stupid idea?
etc.
Thanks in advance.

Only recent experience I've had is with my Schwinn, it's pretty sturdy even going 30-40 mph (and for sub $200).

Just go into your local bike shop... if you're not already sold on a brand or style, you'll want to sit on one and get a feel for it, and you can see the prices right there. At the very least, you'll get a feel for what you're after, and can shop elsewhere if those prices don't work.

When you say 'road bike', do you mean an actual road bike, or anything that isn't a mountain bike?

aren't mountain bikes really heavy?
I would like something light and fast.....

aren't mountain bikes really heavy?
I would like something light and fast.....
They can be quite heavy for sure. The lightest mountain bikes aren't as light as the lightest road bikes, but there is some overlap. There are very light mountain bikes, but the lighter they are, the more they tend to cost.

A 'road' bike will tend to have a shorter wheelbase, narrow handlebars, steep fork angle, tall, thin wheels which are almost exclusively good for riding on paved surfaces. If you plan on taking it off road at all, you may want to reconsider that. If you aren't going to be taking it off pavement, a road bike is definitely the light and fast way to go. See if you can rent/demo a carbon fiber Specialized road bike - they're extremely light and wonderfully fast.

A 'mountain' bike will tend to have a longer wheelbase, wider handlebars, lower fork angle smaller, fatter (likely knobby) wheels which are meant for riding off road.

What I think you'll want is a 'hybrid' bike, which is a pretty generic term for any bike type that's a cross between these two. They have the more relaxed frame of a mountain bike, but with the drive train of a road bike. They lend themselves to riding on pavement (without major drag from knobbies) and riding off road (without the sink/slowdown you'll experience with road tires).

Seriously though, if you have a local bike shop, they generally lay the bikes out by category. You can spot the road bikes because the tires will be very thin, bald, and the bikes will appear almost gossamer compared to the others. The mountain bikes will have fat, knobby tires and much thicker frame members (and are probably full suspension). In between these (and not kids bikes, cruisers, or other odd styles) should be what you're looking for.

I sold my car and bought a bike 2 years ago. I have a GIANT Escape and it is the best bike I have ever rode. I spent $400 on it. You don't need to spend more than that. Go to your local bike shop and ask around. No front suspension commuters have a pretty nice low-end. You just need to buy local so that it gets professionally tuned up.

I think that Craigslist post was deleted? Did you buy that? Anyway, if you're going to be on paved routes only, I'd definitely go with a road bike. That said (even though I'm preparing for a rainy-day road ride as I type this), I don't have a particular brand that I prefer*. Like Rorschach120 said, you should be able to get a very nice bike for four bills.

*Mountain bikes are another story.

60408147471424318401882.jpg

I need a new seat though.other then that I'm pretty happy.

Back