What Vivendi doesn't want us to know. And why Valve needs a new publisher!

Reaction score
In what has been called a bidding circus, the number of suitors interested in Vivendi Universal's distressed media holdings has grown steadily. Vivendi wants to sell almost all its media interests, especially those in the U.S. The company is planning on retaining perhaps only European Television network Canal Plus and its telecom interests.

Here's a brief chronology of Vivendi's wild ride:

French water company Vivendi decided in the late 90s to get into the media business in a big way. In 2000, the company bought two major properties, Canal Plus, a major European cable channel, and Seagram's, which in addition to its liquor business, at that time owned MCA Universal Studios and Polygram Records. Vivendi sold off the liquor assets,
It alter acquired Barry Diller's USA Networks, which included Universal's former TV holdings.
By 2002, faced with record losses for a French company, the Vivendi chairman was ousted.
At the end of the year, the company split off its water interests into a company called Vivendi Environement, and its entertainment and media into a company called Vivendi Universal.
In 2003, the holding of the Vivendi Universal media corporation went on the block.
VIvendi Universal sold its publishing divisions, Houghton-Mifflin and Consumer Press Division (Groupe Express-Expansion-l'Etudiant), Canal Plus Technologies (a European Satellite TV provider), the Seagram Art Collection, and some telecom properties.
Vivendi Environement changed its name to Veolia Environement, presumably to wash away the taint of the Vivendi name.
Vivendi posts first quarter losses.
Accounted among the possible buyers are the following:

Liberty Media Corporation (Discovery, QVC)
General Electric (NBC)
Viacom (CBS)
Marvin Davis (a billionaire oilman with a consortium behind him, once the owner of Twentieth-Century Fox)
Barry Diller, the man Vivendi bought USA Networks from, and until recently a vice-president)
Edgar Bronfman, Jr., (the man originally Vivendi bought Universal from)

The last two are especially interesting. Diller (quoted here) is in the midst of a legal wrangle with Vivendi, and he may have some say on who gets what. He is now head of USA Interactive, a company that owns a number of Internet sites.

Bronfman has an even longer history. He acquired MCA (Universal) and Polygram Records in the 1990s to create his own media empire. Then he sold them to Vivendi, partly in return for shares of Vivendi stock. That stock has sunk in value over the last two years. He has also gotten backers: Wachovia Investments, Merrill-Lynch, midrange cable player Cablevision, which would get a substantial chunk of stock in return for its cable channels, including American Movie Channel and Independent Film Channel -- but astonishingly enough no money or stock. Some have made jokes about the strange alliance of two second generation owners, Bronfman and Cablevision's Jimmy Dolan, who have already managed to lose billions for their respective families.

It looks like the whole bundle may go for $15 billion along with the assumption of $5 billion of debt. That contrasts with the $34 billion Vivendi paid for the Seagram's assets three years ago, minus $8 billion from the saie of the liquor assets.

While all the suitors want at least some pieces of the Vivendi Universal company. But few want the music division, UMG, the largest recording company in the world with a 30% market share. UMG saw revenues decline by 20% in the first quarter 2003. Thanks to the continuing losses in the music industry, its worth is declining, and with Warner Music up for sale, the situation has gotten worse.

Current vivendi Universal holdings:

Area Vivendi Universal Division Brands Notes
Film Universal Studios The Hulk, Eight Mile, etc. $4 billion a year
Television Universal Television Productions Just Shoot Me, Law & Order, etc.
US Cable USA Network, Sci-Fi Channel
European cable Canal Plus, TRIO, Newsworld In nearly a dozen countries
StudioCanal The Pianist, etc.
Entertainment Univerasl Parks & Resorts US, Spain, Japan
Sega Gameworks 50%; Video arcades
Vivendi/Blizzard Diablo, Wracraft Computer games
Music Universal Music Group Labels: Barclay. Interscope Geffen A & M (Eminem, U2, Limp Bizkit), Island def Jam (Jay Z, Ashanti), MCA Nashville (Vince Gill, Trish Yearwood); MCA Records (Shaggy, Mary J. Bilge); Mercury Nashville (Shania Twain, Willie Nelson); Motown (Brian McKnight); Universal Music Classic Group (Andrea Bocelli, Placido Domingo; Decca; Deutsche Grammophon; Universal Records (Nelly, Elton John); Verve Music Group #1 recording company in world, 30% of market
Universal Music Publishing Group Over 1 million songs from Rogers & Hammerstein to Nelly #1 in world
Internet VUNet Music Sites: MP3.com (free music site); Emusic (pay music site); Game sites: Flipside.com, Uproar.com, iWin.com and Virtualvegas.com; Education site: education.com; Portals: I(france), I(suisse), I(quebec), etc.; Movie reservations: Allociné
Communications Cegetel France's largets private phone supplier
SFR 13,2 million cellular subscribers in France
Miscellanous holdings Morocco, Italy
Water 20% of Veolia Environement

Current Veolia holdings:

Veolia Environements Divisions Notes
Veolia Water Formerly Vivendi Water; water and waste treatment in 100 countries
Onyx Water Management
USFilter Water purification equipment
Culligan Water filters, desalination
_------------------------------------------------------_

They own alot of stuff guys. Do you think little old Valve and their silly video game are on the top of Vivendis list?

If you thought the times HL2 is in now are bad. Get ready. The coming month is going to be horrendous. We're going to get even more angry and frustrated than we are now. :angry:

*edit - incase anyone wants the source. I don't want people to think I wrote all that out. For giving credit where credit is due I give you http://www.oligopolywatch.com/2003/05/23.html **

wow...are you like an investigator or something? Interesting to read tho...well, the parts that i did read that is ;-)

Varsity said:
VU used to sell tap water? :eek:

You just made the point I want everyone to know.

They started selling tap water, then expanded the company to where the money is. They do not care about how us gamers feel. They go where the money is. They invest there time into companies that they feel will bring them money. Vivendi is a corporation. That alone is bad.

razorblade kiss said:
They go where the money is. They invest there time into companies that they feel will bring them money. Vivendi is a corporation. That alone is bad.

VALVe will bring them money with HL², so why would they delay it?

affen said:

During the time they delay it they will be trying to get Valve to shutdown the money making aspects of steam. Because when Valve sells HL2 through steam, Vivendi gets no profit. And aww that would be HORRIBLE!! :sleep:

affen said:
Because its chicken feed to them and as big corporations go ego usually becomes more important than small amounts of money.

The Mullinator said:
Because its chicken feed to them and as big corporations go ego usually becomes more important than small amounts of money.
HL1 took $40 million on the PC alone...HL2 is a lot lot bigger.

Varsity said:
HL1 took $40 million on the PC alone...HL2 is a lot lot bigger.

But HL2 is being sold through steam!! Vivendi doesnt get any profit from steam. Dont you get it!!! Argh!! :flame:

razorblade kiss said:
But HL2 is being sold through steam!! Vivendi doesnt get any profit from steam. Dont you get it!!! Argh!! :flame:
Mullinator says that VU are interested in stopping distribution via Steam not because of money, but because of ego. I disagree. This is the point you are trying to make.

The Mullinator said:
To VUG thats alot, but to the whole corporation thats chicken feed.
VU will look at each section in turn to see if it is profitable, not the whole corp. at once.

Heres a good example of how little Vivendi cares about people and their hobbies.

Vivendi Destroys MP3.com archive

Vivendi Universal recently sold the MP3.com domain to CNET. That in and of itself is a yawner. MP3.com doesn't really fit the Vivendi profit model, so it's understandable that they're dumping it.

Why this matters is they're not selling the archive, containing more than a million songs by 250,000 artists. As of December 3rd, they're destroying it.

Musicians received this announcement on Friday. "Your personal information, music, images, related content or other information will not be transferred to CNET Networks, Inc. or any other third party... Please note, however, that promptly following the removal of the MP3.com website, all content will be deleted from our servers and all previously submitted tapes, CD-ROMs and other media in our possession will be destroyed. We recommend that you make alternative content hosting arrangements as soon as practicable."

Mike Robertson, founder and former CEO of MP3.com is currently pleading with Vivendi and CNET to allow archive.org to mirror the contents. Since many of these artists won't be able to come up with alternate hosting in that timeframe, and many of them won't even know it's happening, what Robertson calls "the largest collection of digital works ever assembled" will cease to exist.

Vivendi later denied his request.

I used to love Mp3.com :(

Varsity said:
Mullinator says that VU are interested in stopping distribution via Steam not because of money, but because of ego. I disagree. This is the point you are trying to make.
Well VUG wants the money yes, but I am more worried about what the rest of the corporation could do with that division.

Varsity said:

Exactly! Now we're on the same level my man! :LOL:

The Mullinator said:
Well VUG wants the money yes, but I am more worried about what the rest of the corporation could do with that division.

Ego means nothing to Corporations. People across the world could hate and despise of them, but if there legally making millions, or billions of dollars, they could care less about ego. Who thinks about ego when you get to drive a Ferrari to work every morning.

The Mullinator said:
As in shut them down?

razorblade kiss said:
Ego means nothing to Corporations. People across the world could hate and despise of them, but if there legally making millions, or billions of dollars, they could care less about ego. Who thinks about ego when you get to drive a Ferrari to work every morning.
Well couldn't it be argued that it was ego that resulted in Enron executives funneling money out of the corporation for themselves?

Ego is a huge factor with these large corporations.

Varsity said:
As in shut them down?
Sell them off, shut them down, do what they did to MP3.com, who knows?

Its just something I worry about.

EDIT: Sorry, I hate double posting. ;(

The Mullinator said:
Well couldn't it be argued that it was ego that resulted in Enron executives funneling money out of the corporation for themselves?

Ego is a huge factor with these large corporations.

No, thats called greed. Greedy corporations. It's money. Ego is on basketball courts and who has the better jump shot, and whos team goes to the championship.

razorblade kiss said:
No, thats called greed. Greedy corporations. It's money. Ego is on basketball courts and who has the better jump shot, and whos team goes to the championship.
But they already had all the money they needed, I havn't looked into it that much but I suspect that psychologically it was ego that drove them to do it.

Like I said, it can be argued that ego caused it.

affen said:
Looking at the results of the poll in this thread (http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38914) about 1/3 is going to get HL² through Steam. So they indeed can make a problem of it, assuming they don't see those losses as chicken feed.

I don't think that speaks accurately for sales. HL2.net is not a broad enoug user base. There are going to be tons of people who buy HL2 via word of mouth, store displays, or they just don't want to download 4 GB worth of data. I have a broadband connection, and could easily buy via Steam, but I'm not. There are also tons of people for whom Steam is not even a viable option.

The Mullinator said:
Sell them off, shut them down, do what they did to MP3.com, who knows?
VU shutting down is good. Valve will get all the rights to do what they damn want.

Looking at the results of the poll in this thread (http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38914) about 1/3 is going to get HL² through Steam. So they indeed can make a problem of it, assuming they don't see those losses as chicken feed.
I wouldn't be so sure the results would still be the same today.

Varsity said:
VU shutting down is good. Valve will get all the rights to do what they damn want.
Perhaps, but usually these things are more complicated than that. Valve could somehow get caught in any crossfire. There is just no way of knowing what could happen, and I hate the unknown.

Damn Razor, excellent post. Very informative. This definetly shines a new light on this situation. Great find.

I just don't agree with the ego part. I can tell you those who make decisions based on ego do not last long. It is all about the money. Almighty sales and profit growth that's what drives business decisions. There is little room for compassion in big business. Nice guys finish last. CEO's are interested in maximizing profit. Often they do this at the expense of the company's long term health and employees, but it's not about ego. In relation to HL2 you can expect them to squeeze Valve for every cent they can get. If they stand to gain more in profits by releasing the game sooner they will, if they stand to gain more in profits by holding the release they will. After all, we know that maintaining a good relationship with Valve (or their fans) is certainly not a motivating factor. Maybe someone should research when Vivendi's fiscal year ends. They may be motivated to gain their HL2 profit before their fiscal year ends.

I think its a good time for everyone to stop thinking about halflife2 and play the bevy of new games just released. Because folks, we might not see halflife2 for a LONG time.

Thanks for the info razor, It's unfortunate to say the least... It's definitely gonna be all about the money with Vivendi as with any corporate behavoir... Have you ever met a filthy rich man? He will haggle at your local grocery store over a sale price, he will pick up a penny off the street, and regardless of how much money it's worth, or not, he can't stand to be , what he considers cheated, not for a penny, not for a dollar, that is how he got rich! Ego only happens when you have money, so it can be said they go hand in hand.. I hope Vivendi gets their corporate ass kicked in court.. One thing i do belive though is, we will see halflife2, and when we do it will be awesome.. Let's not forget all the modders itchin to get their hands on the SDK....Anyway's, I had no fricken idea Vivendi was that diverse, any fair weather company scares me...

Im scared........Do u guys think they VU is really going to delay HL2 just for the hell of it?

VU Press release 1st half 2004 results said:
Vivendi Universal Games performance continued to suffer a decline. Vivendi Universal Games operating loss for the first half of the year was €156 million versus a loss of €52 million last year. In January 2004, a new management team was put in place to implement a turnaround plan and to reduce the cost base. As a result, the 2004 first half results included one time costs associated with such turnaround plan (for an amount of approximately €90 million), including write-offs of certain projects and titles, along with a significant level of restructuring expenses with the cost of a material reduction in the staff in North America, down by approximately 40% since the beginning of the year. Furthermore, at the end of 2003, VUG strengthened capitalization criteria of internal development costs. As a result, most internal development costs are now expensed as incurred. Had this strengthening of capitalization criteria actually occurred at the beginning of 2003, it would have had an approximate negative impact of €20 million on the first half 2003 operating income.

€66m operating losses off €148m turnover (elsewhere in release) is an amazing loss. They have a new management team who are looking to turn around revenues, so I doubt they'll be sitting on €40m profit over the next half (they've done all the expenditure, all they have to do now is print the discs) for 6 months. They don't have the time to wait for a potential increase in revenues, if they win an expensive lawsuit, which is uncertain. Looking at that I reckon they'll be desperate to push their bottom line up ASAP.

http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/files/PR040914Resultats .pdf If you want to read the entire thing.

Wilco said:
€66m operating losses off €148m turnover (elsewhere in release) is an amazing loss. They have a new management team who are looking to turn around revenues, so I doubt they'll be sitting on €40m profit over the next half (they've done all the expenditure, all they have to do now is print the discs) for 6 months. Looking at that I reckon they'll be desperate to push their bottom line up ASAP.

http://www.vivendiuniversal.com/vu/en/files/PR040914Resultats .pdf If you want to read the entire thing.

most of this years losses are due to restructring and resizing. Their not doing too bad, but HL2 will help them along nicely. Their not going bust yet..

smarter to retain omniescent-like control of the publishing racket then give into steam without a fight, even if just for psycological reasons

i honestly don't think that most halflife2.net'ers realise how big of a threat steam is to publishers all over the globe, it could be the beginning of the end for many people, and many jobs lost. of course they'll fight

They are an evil corp. AND THEY ARE FRENCH!! :p

I vote steam, steam is the future...
...I hope steam will be able to give you music in the future, pay for a cd over steam... :D

Yombi said:
most of this years losses are due to restructring and resizing. Their not doing too bad, but HL2 will help them along nicely. Their not going bust yet..

they said that accounted for 90m so thats still 66m operating losses for the half...

Back