Russian Professor predicts collapse of US by 2010

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
For a decade, Russian academic Igor Panarin has been predicting the U.S. will fall apart in 2010. For most of that time, he admits, few took his argument -- that an economic and moral collapse will trigger a civil war and the eventual breakup of the U.S. -- very seriously.

Prof. Panarin, 50 years old, is not a fringe figure. A former KGB analyst, he is dean of the Russian Foreign Ministry's academy for future diplomats. He is invited to Kremlin receptions, lectures students, publishes books, and appears in the media as an expert on U.S.-Russia relations.

Mr. Panarin posits, in brief, that mass immigration, economic decline, and moral degradation will trigger a civil war next fall and the collapse of the dollar. Around the end of June 2010, or early July, he says, the U.S. will break into six pieces -- with Alaska reverting to Russian control.

He based the forecast on classified data supplied to him by FAPSI analysts, he says. He predicts that economic, financial and demographic trends will provoke a political and social crisis in the U.S. When the going gets tough, he says, wealthier states will withhold funds from the federal government and effectively secede from the union. Social unrest up to and including a civil war will follow. The U.S. will then split along ethnic lines, and foreign powers will move in.

California will form the nucleus of what he calls "The Californian Republic," and will be part of China or under Chinese influence. Texas will be the heart of "The Texas Republic," a cluster of states that will go to Mexico or fall under Mexican influence. Washington, D.C., and New York will be part of an "Atlantic America" that may join the European Union. Canada will grab a group of Northern states Prof. Panarin calls "The Central North American Republic." Hawaii, he suggests, will be a protectorate of Japan or China, and Alaska will be subsumed into Russia.

the map of the divided states:

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/P1-AO116_RUSPRO_NS_20081228191715.gif

the grain of salt:

his bleak forecast for the U.S. that is music to the ears of the Kremlin, which in recent years has blamed Washington for everything from instability in the Middle East to the global financial crisis. Mr. Panarin's views also fit neatly with the Kremlin's narrative that Russia is returning to its rightful place on the world stage after the weakness of the 1990s

the bigger grain of salt:

Mr. Panarin's apocalyptic vision "reflects a very pronounced degree of anti-Americanism in Russia today," says Vladimir Pozner, a prominent TV journalist in Russia. "It's much stronger than it was in the Soviet Union."

Mr. Pozner and other Russian commentators and experts on the U.S. dismiss Mr. Panarin's predictions. "Crazy ideas are not usually discussed by serious people," says Sergei Rogov, director of the government-run Institute for U.S. and Canadian Studies, who thinks Mr. Panarin's theories don't hold water.

however ...

The professor says he's convinced that people are taking his theory more seriously. People like him have forecast similar cataclysms before, he says, and been right. He cites French political scientist Emmanuel Todd. Mr. Todd is famous for having rightly forecast the demise of the Soviet Union -- 15 years beforehand. "When he forecast the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1976, people laughed at him," says Prof. Panarin.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123051100709638419.html

Oh god! Oh god no! Will somebody please think of Sarah Palin!?

Seriously though, I think it's a crackpot theory. The United States isn't as multifaceted divided as he shows in his little map. The very most it would divide into conservative/liberal... but even then I doubt it would ever happen, at least any time soon. We're not going to be divided purely based on retarded geographical locations. This part is near canada... how bout it joins canada. This part is on the west coast... how bout China takes it, because that makes sense! East Coast? Well... European Union for sure! And Texas... yeah, Texas is the only strong enough one to lay claim to itself. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The only thing I think really lending plausibility to something like it happening, are all the ****ing morons who still think Obama is a terrorist president or a muslim. I mean what greater time for some morons to try to incite internal strife and civil war than the time that we have our first black president?

What he's saying isn't impossible, it just won't happen in 2010 unless things get a lot mother****in worse soon-like. Big countries do often collapse though. I like how he predicted every part of America will "join" some other part of the world. Yeah, that's what people want when they begin a civil war- to be absorbed into other countries or ruled by them. But yeah, he's a nutcase.

What he's saying isn't impossible, it just won't happen in 2010 unless things get a lot mother****in worse soon-like. Big countries do often collapse though. I like how he predicted every part of America will "join" some other part of the world. Yeah, that's what people want when they begin a civil war- to be absorbed into other countries or ruled by them. But yeah, he's a nutcase.

Yeah... every part joining another part of the world EXCEPT Texas. As if Texas has the only strong enough people to rule themselves.

personally I think Ohio, Kansas and other butt**** states would do well under Canadian rule ...I mean how could we possibly screw them up even more?although for my money the eastern seaboard is worth twice as much as most of the central US ..I mean there's nothing but farmland and rednecks as far as the eye can see

That sounds like horseshit...I mean, the US could break up, but in two years? And that much?

So he predicts a civil war in... 9 months. Yeah. I don't think this possible with the patriotism present in the USA or in such a small time-span. I think their unity is a little stronger than that and it's funny how this guy's ideas fit perfectly with Putin's vision. Maybe he needs a promotion. ;)

And like others have said, why do states have to go to different powers? I'm know little about the constitution, but couldn't states simply withdraw from the government, and govern themselves? Can someone in the know answer that?

in soviet Russia, the future predicts you!

edit: oh and i can't believe some of you actually took it seriously for a second there...i mean come on! Texas siding with Mexico...jesus, or California becoming Chinese. LOL

**** yeah I get to go with Canada.

So has this guy even lived in the US for any significant amount of time or what.

oookayyy i doubt it will happen bloody crazy russians

Lol. Mexico is going to take over the southwest where I live? I'm shaking in my boots. But it all makes sense now, all those illegals pouring over the border as here waiting for their orders.

I think the Russians should worry more about the fact their little tinpot country is basically falling apart and trudging along on patriotic denial and whoring off what natural resources it can.

America for all its problems and irritating foibles cant be said to be overly riven with Soviet levels of corruption, gagged media, and a generally morally deficient ideology.

This makes me worry more over the state Russia is in than over the state America is in..

man everyone knows arizona would be influenced by mexico moreso than the deep south

Hoo yeah. We get a pretty big slice of the pie.

Midwest going to canada I could see, sure. East coast going to Europe, maybe but I think they'd be more likely form their own government or essentially just consider themselves "what's left of the US" but with strong ties to Europe either way. California going to china? Can't see it happening. It would sure be weird if it did. Texas going to Mexico?? Yea right. If I may be stereotypical for a moment I think the phrase "from my cold dead hands" is appropriate. An economic alliance, maybe, but that would be the extent of it I think. Russia taking Alaska seems possible enough. Hawaii I think would be highly contested.

I think somebody has been playing too much Risk...

**** yes, bring on the apocalypse. Good thing I've stocked up on shotgun shells and gas.

I reckon that if this does happen (fat bloody chance) none of the States are going to join any other country or coalition. It's just not how the US works.

This is stupid, no way would every state join another country. Maybe some of them, but most would probably just join with their neighbors and run themselves.

Also, no way is the united states going to go belly up in less than 365 days.

This part is near canada... how bout it joins canada. This part is on the west coast... how bout China takes it, because that makes sense! East Coast? Well... European Union for sure! And Texas... yeah, Texas is the only strong enough one to lay claim to itself. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

country.gif

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but its not implausible. Who knows what events are going to unfold within the next year. Hell, two years even, the end of 2010 is a hell of a long time away. But anyway, you definitely missed the or's and the may's.

I think the Russians should worry more about the fact their little tinpot country is basically falling apart and trudging along on patriotic denial and whoring off what natural resources it can.

America for all its problems and irritating foibles cant be said to be overly riven with Soviet levels of corruption, gagged media, and a generally morally deficient ideology.

I think you need to be arguing the other side.

country.gif

I'm not saying this is going to happen, but its not implausible. Who knows what events are going to unfold within the next year. Hell, two years even, the end of 2010 is a hell of a long time away. But anyway, you definitely missed the or's and the may's.

look...i love your name, but you can't be serious about this?! even if the US might collapse, this scenario of the nutcase professor is just insane. he divided the US like a 10 year old with basic knowledge of geography.

I predict that in 2009, at least one woman on this planet will give birth to a baby boy or a baby girl.

I predict that in 2009, we will have a black president.

I predict that in 2009, i'll eat a taco truck burrito.

I predict that in 2009, both the Taliban & Al Qaeda will still dislike America.

I predict that in 2009, i'll burp & fart at least once.

Wow... 5 for 5. Perhaps I should stop what i'm doing & become a psychic...

-MRG

I predict that in 2009 russians will annex Estonia and kill me. Maybe true.

I predict that in 2009, i'll eat a taco truck burrito.

I'd like to make a prediciton too.

I predict that in 2009, MRG will die from eating a taco truck burrito.

let me let you in on a little secret:

"burrito" means "little donkey" in spanish

"truck" means "anus" in spanish

look...i love your name, but you can't be serious about this?! even if the US might collapse, this scenario of the nutcase professor is just insane. he divided the US like a 10 year old with basic knowledge of geography.

I'm not saying its going to happen, I don't even believe it will. I'm just saying that you can't rule out all possibilities, unless you have seen the future. In which case don't tell me about it unless it involves lots of pizza and lots of sex.

I'm not saying its going to happen, I don't even believe it will. I'm just saying that you can't rule out all possibilities, unless you have seen the future. In which case don't tell me about it unless it involves lots of pizza and lots of sex.

It involves sex with pizza.

Sounds awkward, guess it could work though. As long as the pizza isn't scalding hot.

Back