New 3ds Max tool to send models to Source much faster

shawnolson

Reaction score
I wanted to share with any modelers and level designers a tool I've recently made called the Wall Worm Model Tools. It's a MAXScript tool that helps speed up the process of sending models from 3ds Max to Source. If you've ever done it before, you know how much of a pain it can be.

http://wallworm.com/projects/utilities/docs/

This tool has the following features:
  • Automatically generates a QC text file for your model & auto-compiling
  • Can automatically generate convex collision hulls for your model
  • Allows you to pick your own custom collision model if you don't want to use the auto-generated model
  • Auto-generate LOD models of your model
  • Gives you a visual representation inside Max of the limits (range) tied to each LOD model which is especially helpful if you are also building your level design inside of Max (with Convexity)
  • Visually set the $illumposition position and $masscenter
  • Assign a surface property to your model from inside the Max interface
  • Set various model flags including $staticprop, $opaque and $mostlyopaque
  • Assign multiple Skins
  • Assign $bodygroups
  • Prop Data & Custom Gibs controls
  • Will automatically create textures for your model and each LOD
  • Batch functions to export multiple models at once

Screen Shot:
model_rollout.png

collision_model_rollout.png

lod_tools_rollout.png

lod_list_rollout.png

sequences_rollout.png

attachments_rollout.png

lighting_rollout.png

utilities_rollout.png

prop_data_rollout.png

The current version is 1.41. The tool is still a work-in-progress.

Respond to this post to prove you aren't just a fire-and-forget spammer!

Because I'm sure this is helpful to some people so you've done a good thing.

But it would make me feel better if I knew you cared about us!

Not that I have any power to punish you.

Respond to this post to prove you aren't just a fire-and-forget spammer!

Because I'm sure this is helpful to some people so you've done a good thing.

But it would make me feel better if I knew you cared about us!

Not that I have any power to punish you.

I have shared this in several Source forums... and it will be almost impossible for me to spend any major time in all of them. But this is a tool I wanted someone else to build for years... and since no one else did... I was luckily able to figure it out. I am 99% certain that any 3ds modelers on this site will be happy for my little bit of spam!!

Anyway, I will visit and contribute as much as I can... and share updates to this script as I add them.

And I have released version 0.83 today with these fixes:

* Fixed the problem with QC files having quotation marks at the beginning and end of the file.
* Fixed the QC file bug where model paths and material paths has backslashes (\) when they needed forward slashes (/).
* Made the Model Path and Material Path fields in the UI work regardless of whether forward slashes or back slashes are used.
* Fixed bug where LOD would not generate if the LOD spinner was never changed from the default value of 1.
* Commented out the $shadowlod property in the QC file. If you want that setting, simply uncomment the $shadowlod lines in the QC.

Nice stuff. I hope it brings more people back to the Source Engine.

neat tool. hope this brings back more people to source.

Thank you. I hope it does too. But for me... the whole purpose is that I don't think it should be such a pain-in-the-ass to make a model for your game! Maybe it's fine for complex models... but when the average Joe cannot even make his own prop (say a box of cereal or a beer can) without also having to do all the stuff you need to do... something is definitely wrong with the flow.

Now if you want to know of an even cooler tool, you need to check out Convexity. It lets you build your maps inside of 3ds! I use it religiously... and I'm always trying to get others to use it to help encourage the developer Michael Little to keep it up. His tool is over at Maple3D.com.

I like it so much because it gives you all the design tools of Max and lets you build your Convex level design in the same environment where you are building all of your models and props.

I've added a giant list of updates since posting last. There are more changes than I feel like listing but wanted to share the link to the new docs page I've added at http://wallworm.com/projects/utilities/docs/

The main key features that have been added per tester requests:

* Sequences can be added in the interface
* The tool will now autocompile your models

And a lot more. Please do read the docs if you use the tool. And please feel free to contact me with ideas, suggestions and bugs.

The tool now will compile straight from 3ds. Here is a video demonstrating the export of an animated model:

I've updated the tool to version 0.96. The main update is that you can compile textures with the Utilities rollout. Happy New Year!

Version 0.98 released on 01-07-2011
•Added support for 3ds Max 2008+. Before this update, the tool would not work in version 2008 or 2009.
•Fixed bug to the Pick LOD buttons. They were broken in the 0.95 update.
•Changed the way that the Texture Exporter utility works. The tool will now always run the VTF texture compiler when you run the Export Textures utility.
•Renamed the Configure Tool button to Settings

I've updated the tool to 0.985 . This includes a UI Bug fix where the last item in the LOD List was not filling out all the details properly. Also, I've added a new LOD Camera feature in the utilities rollout.

Here are a couple recent videos on the LOD features:

LOD Camera:

Generating LOD Models:

I hope you enjoy. Please share your feedback.

Looks cool, it will make developing anything for source less of a ball ache.

There a new version: 0.986 that supports Attachments (add $attachment point throught the UI). Also added a button to install WWMT into the Max UI... read the updated notes on running WWMT in the docs. The update also includes some other update and bug fixes... see the changelog. http://wallworm.com/projects/utilities/docs/

Version 0.988 is out. Also some updated docs. This version adds, among other things, better error reporting when the model or texture exporters cannot work. Also added support for Cannonfodder's SMD Exporter (Version 2.04 which isn't yet out but will be shortly). The settings let you use the exporter of your choice.

Good choice, CF's exporter is superior.

Good choice, CF's exporter is superior.
I personally don't have any stance on which is better as I haven't really tested them against each other. I am glad that both Wunderboy and Cannonfodder have their tools. Just remember that for WWMT, you need version 2.04+ of Cannonfodder's tools... so if you want to use CF with WWMT... you'll have to wait until he's released it. Otherwise, there will be errors when you try to export and the SMDs will not be made.

I've added several updates since I posted last. This morning I added Multiple Skin Support. See the changelog for complete details.

Also, because I've been finding it difficult to update all forums discussing the tool all the time, I started a forum specifically for the projects I'm working: Wall Worm Forum.

I'll still make updates here... but if you want more frequent updates subscribe in the forums.

Since the last update, I've added several things, including Prop Data, Custom Gibs, Multiple Skins, Left 4 Dead support and more.

1.4 is out and includes several new productivity enhancements as well as updates to how $bodygroups work.

* Enhanced the $bodygroup feature to allow multiple $bodygroups. This update changes the way $bodygroups are set... so you will have to relink them according to the new docs if you have already set some up since version 1.3.
* Renamed Texture Utilities Rollout to Utilities.
* Added Quick WWMT button to create WWMT helpers for all selected objects in the scene.
* Added Quick Compile button to export all selected WWMTs (and compile them if the auto compile is set in the tool settings).
* Added All Textures button to compile textures for all selected WWMT helpers.
* Updated the UI to let you choose a new WWMT with the Pick Model button even if there is already a WWMT filled into the UI. The UI will update for the new WWMT.

New Bodygroup docs: http://wallworm.com/projects/utilities/docs/using/export_bodygroups.html

PS. The tool now works in Max 2012. Cannonfodder's SMD Exporter is also compatible with 2012 now... Wunderboy's is following soon.

Version 1.41 released 05-09-2011•Added more settings to the Quick WWMT tools in the Utilities Tab. You can now pre-assign most of the checkboxes from the Basic Model & QC and Collision Model & Physics rollouts to the Quick WWMT Selections.
•Added Clear From Sel button in Utilities Rollout that will remove all WWMT data and helpers from the selection.
•Updated the Pick Model function to properly clear every possible setting in the UI to the defaults if there is already a WWMT object filling the UI when a new WWMT helper is selected. The 1.4 addition of this feature sometimes left values in the UI if the first model had a property assigned that is, by default, undefined in the WWMT Struct and the second model did not have a value set.
•Caught some more possible exceptions (fringe cases that have been reported and due to pressing some buttons after scene objects have been deleted).

Version 1.53 is out. Since last post, there have been a few new additions and bug fixes you can read about in the changelog.

AMong the coolest new features is integration with Convexity's upcoming Convex Hull Wrapper. Here is a video of the tool (though that feature is not yet publicly available).

I've still been actively developing this tool. I also have been collaborating more and more with Wunderboy... there is an update to his tools coming soon that will integrate with and enhance WWMT.

WWMT turned a year old in November. I added a new video with many of the features developed recently:

A short list of features added to the most recent releases:

Anyway, I hope you find these tool useful.

Very good tool guys recommend anyone modding with source to use this.

Back