New Bill would force Congress to bankroll it's own wars

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Sen. Al Franken introduced legislation on Wednesday that would require Congress to pay for future wars and ensure that they do not add to the federal budget deficit. The Pay for War Resolution gives Congress the option to finance war through budget cuts, creating new revenue or a combination of both budgetary means. Franken said the bill is meant to avoid a repeat of the $1.25 trillion that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have added to the national debt.

“We have to ensure that Iraq and Afghanistan remain anomalies in American history,” Franken said on the Senate floor Wednesday. “And that’s what my resolution seeks to do. It will ensure that future wars don’t make our deficit and debt problem worse. It will ensure that Congress and American citizens must face the financial sacrifice of going to war. And it will force us to decide whether a war is worth that sacrifice.”

http://minnesotaindependent.com/79959/franken-wants-wars-to-be-paid-for

I think it's a great idea. they should add a clause that would force congress to pay out of their own pockets. overnight, republican warmongers would become pacifists

I would love to see this pass yet I think even if it was a law it would be the kind of thing that would simply get brushed aside with some rhetoric about how the consequences are too dire to worry about money right now.

Anomalies? lolwut? Every single war since the French & Indian has added orders of magnitude more debt. Not to say that I don't think it's a good idea, but 'anomaly' is hardly what I'd say to wars adding mind-boggling amounts of debt.

Pay for wars with budget cuts?

COME THE **** ON.

You know they're going to fund all of their wars at the expensive of young children's educational programs and those for the needy. Why give them more incentive to cut programs like that.

Pay for wars with budget cuts?

COME THE **** ON.

You know they're going to fund all of their wars at the expensive of young children's educational programs and those for the needy. Why give them more incentive to cut programs like that.

This^. **** this country. Seriously.

Back