New Build: Gonna do it edition

I feel like this happens in every single build thread on hl2.net, but you don't need a 900 watt power supply. 700 would work even if you wanted room for another video card, and like multiple hard drives.

Yes I recall this being said a plenty. I figured it was to be future proof because cards like the 590 gtx require a 700w just for a single.

590 gtx require a 700w just for a single.
Nope. Overstated bullshit as usual.

36070.png

36072.png

Quality high voltage rails > wattage bullshit. Get a good Corsair, and don't ever worry about power again. Even at 80% load you'd be max using 600 watts, more than enough for the 590 on an i7-920.

The video card seems a bit weak compared to the rest of the system. (my personal opinion)

PSU is overkill for what you're planning. You don't really need to think of excesses like that as 'future proofing.' The power/performance ratio of video cards has been increasing with the last two generations in the favor of lower power consumption. There will always be really taxing cards you can get (like the 590) which demand a lot of power but if you stay in the mid to high end stuff you'll be fine with a moderate PSU even if you end up going the SLI route.

If those charts are total system load, then I'm convinced. I probably wouldn't sli (considering the rarity of my upgrades, it's much more likely that I'd get a new big card...like from a 7950gt to the 560 gtx).

The video card seems a bit weak compared to the rest of the system. (my personal opinion)
Really? According to the charts I saw it's pretty nice for the pricetag ($230-250): http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-gaming-graphics-charts/benchmarks,123.html
The next hop up is the 580 gtx and it's double the price.

Final list of parts in the system:

PSU Corsair 750W

CPU i5 2500

RAM 8gb Corsair DDR3 1600

HDD 1TB WD (+ old 400GB WD)

Mobo ASUS P8P67 (Rev 3)

Optical Drive ASUS DVD Burner

Case Antec DF-85

Graphics eVGA GTX 560 DS (still waiting for delivery, using old 6800 till then)

It's built and relatively stable (minor annoyances to iron out). I spent about 4-5 hrs building it and 4-5 more hrs trying to find out why it wouldn't start, turned out to be a single wire I didn't need to have plugged in to the mobo. Nearly lost my mind! Will post pics later.

Back