New DoD:S info and screenshots

The hand models! Oh, my eyes, my eyes!

Does it bother anyone else that Valve is settling for these halfway remakes? My philosophy in life is that if you don't do something completely right, don't do it at all.

Narcolepsy said:

Does it bother anyone else that Valve is settling for these halfway remakes? My philosophy in life is that if you don't do something completely right, don't do it at all.
I feel the same way. It would just be a waste of time if they didn't go all the way with it. Also, it really detracts from the game when half of the game looks like it game directly from the HL engine and the other half came from Source.

Narcolepsy said:

LOL, did not even notice the hands the first time through but after going back and looking at them Im amazed. Wow got a nice chuckle out of how funny they look, everything else being nicely sourced exept for the look of the hand models....just looks kind of awkard but I can deal with that, not such a biggy for me.

one more thing to add, I think everyone who sees this should be dissapointed.... i mean look at cs source.... steam really ****ed up dod.. i feel sorry for everyone who payed to play d.o.d

ilovemetal.. you must be an idiot. What does Steam have to do with how DoD:S looks? Have you actually seen the screenshots of Avalanche?! They look fabulous!

Apparently ilovemetal doesnt like to read. CS:S was rebuilt from the ground up, using parts from all previous builds of CS to make almost a new version. This meant new everything. With DoD:S they're just going for a direct port, with changes coming in later versions.

Secondly, Steam has absolutely nothing to do with DoD other than being the distribution platform and the launching platform for the game. Steam does not make games. Valve does.

So next time you want to comment on something, at least try to look smart by doing some research on it so you know what the heck you're talking about.

Looks semi detailed and models are just... not good. Main problem is that the shots don't look as lifelike as shots from HL2. It just doesn't seem to cut it for what HL2 looked like. I always was facinated with some of the near-photorealism. People comparing HL2 shots to photos and such. These don't do that

I am hoping to see that real time surface displacement thing on those beaches though!

They are testing a pre-beta version, which means it's still an early build and a lot of things aren't done yet, Things like new models, maps, hud, sounds, etc you name it.

Don't be fools guys, obviously the final version will have new models.

They can't operate miracles in less than six months.

*hint*Think you idiots, think!!!*hint*

GRIMEY said:
Awesome, another Call of Duty.
No no, but this is the HALF-LIFE ENGINE!!!

Not.. Umm.. Call of Duty.. Engine...?

Which means we all know the cheats if by chance someone turns sv_cheats on.. Yay!

Yeah, the hands could use a little work. Honestly though, who's going to be starring at the hands while playing? Not me. Other than that, it looks fun. :thumbs:

You guys do know this is just a port and not DoD 2? Its like CS:S but only they wont be updating the models. Which is why the hands and guns still look exactly the same as plain old DoD.

Sparta said:
You guys do know this is just a port and not DoD 2? Its like CS:S but only they wont be updating the models. Which is why the hands and guns still look exactly the same as plain old DoD.

I was pretty sure they were updating the models?

bliink said:
I was pretty sure they were updating the models?
Lemme see if i can find a post in the news archives by Chris_D. He made a post stating a quote from one of the guys working on DoD:S that it was mainly going to be the levels and the textures that would be updated

That's a pretty good assessment Sikari, so I just quoted your post.

Most of us put in time on HL2, CS:Source and Half-Life:Source before shifting back to DoD:Source, so that did slow things down a bit. But we're working full speed ahead on it now (and have been for a while).

Patience DoD fans. Patience. It's gonna be nice IMO. Quite nice. And no, it's not just a straight port.
Link

Did you guys honestly think they're going to put so much time into recreating the maps, getting it to work on source, and decide to leave it half assed?

Isn't it obvious that the game is in beta?

Sad.

Exactly what I was afraid of. They come out with this shit and call it "DoD:Source." Oh, it's because it's running some source physics. Woooow. This is what we've been waiting for all this time?????

Why the hell has it taken this long to produce something that is essentially unchanged????

Almost as disappointing as HL:Source.

I don't even care when it's coming out, just give me Insurgency mod and I'll be fine. I guess Valve just isn't getting the point.

Sparta said:
You guys do know this is just a port and not DoD 2? Its like CS:S but only they wont be updating the models.

Ok well, then it obviously is not like CS:S, is it?

ButtHoleMcGee said:
Did you guys honestly think they're going to put so much time into recreating the maps, getting it to work on source, and decide to leave it half assed?

Isn't it obvious that the game is in beta?

And do you honestly think that between this beta and the full release that all the textures and models will be updated like CS:S? I've never heard of a beta using the old textures and models of a previous release and then suddenly appearing full release with all these things magically updated.

What the hell is Valve doing?????

Snowknight26 said:
ilovemetal.. you must be an idiot. What does Steam have to do with how DoD:S looks? Have you actually seen the screenshots of Avalanche?! They look fabulous!

Compared to what??????? This is not ****ing 1998. We paid for HL2 because it's HL2, not because it's a game with new levels that runs with HL graphics, with some improved physics and is called "Half Life 2."

Here's why Valve messed this up: I for one never played Counterstrike. In fact, I thought it was stupid. Then CS:S came about, and I really got into it. Yes I have a bias towards better looking games (obviously), but that is what I expect in 2005 and for 70-something bucks. If Valve only cares about keeping hardcore DoD fans playing, then they can go screw themselves.

If I had known that HL:S and DoD:S were going to be like this I would have purchased the bronze package.

You guys are expecting to do more than they said they're going to do. DoD:S is a direct PORT. It's not supposed to be a newfangled game. And it's definitely not going to be a Call of Duty clone, for two reasons. First, DoD has been around long before CoD, and secondly, CoD is geared more towards realism whereas DoD goes for an arcade-like combat feel.
I have to stress over and over again, it's not a new game. CS:S isnt a new game. They're old games ported over to the source engine. Whereas CS:S was made to be the multiplayer part of HL2, DoD is just a mod ported over. If you like it, then you do. If you dont, then you dont have to play it.

I'm personally not a DoD fan myself, mostly because I've played it ever since 1.3 beta (not retail) and have just gotten tired of it after a long time, so I'm not being ignorant to what Valve is or isnt doing. Just be patient. If they dont release new models, then the modding community will. It's as simple as that.

:Rex Saw: said:
And do you honestly think that between this beta and the full release that all the textures and models will be updated like CS:S? I've never heard of a beta using the old textures and models of a previous release and then suddenly appearing full release with all these things magically updated.

What the hell is Valve doing?????

http://www.dayofdefeat.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=4

DoD forums. Read them. The game is still under development, hence the BETA. There is still many things that need fixing, like the big recoil increase and not being able to pick up grenades. Last time I checked, getting the game to work is priority over looks. This was the same way CS:S Beta was like. After the bugs were fixed, they added cosmetic changes in the last patches. You act like they're not going to be adding material to the beta test. I just wish they had some sort of distributing method to get those patches up and running once they get cranked out.

Oh yeah, that's what Steam is for.

Besides, some beta testers are already stressing the fact that the models are holding back the beauty of the game. Those that were privileged enough to play it say it's already looking gorgeous.

TigerRei said:
I have to stress over and over again, it's not a new game. CS:S isnt a new game. They're old games ported over to the source engine. Whereas CS:S was made to be the multiplayer part of HL2, DoD is just a mod ported over. If you like it, then you do. If you dont, then you dont have to play it.

I really don't understand how you're so complacent about this.

Nobody is asking this to be a "new game." But to leave the thing almost identical and add some physics is just bullcrap (anyone look at the dod.de galleries? Wow you can shoot out stained glass windows, oh my goodness).

This must be a joke.

Waldo from Vavle:

Most of us put in time on HL2, CS:Source and Half-Life:Source before shifting back to DoD:Source, so that did slow things down a bit. But we're working full speed ahead on it now (and have been for a while).

Patience DoD fans. Patience. It's gonna be nice IMO. Quite nice. And no, it's not just a straight port

I guess we will have to wait and see, I honestly don't think they would make the maps\textures look so nice then leave the models looking like crap. :monkee:

beam said:
Waldo from Vavle:

I guess we will have to wait and see, I honestly don't think they would make the maps\textures look so nice then leave the models looking like crap. :monkee:

The maps/textures looking so nice? This game looks visually INFERIOR (or, at best, equal) to Call of Duty, and that is just sad.

If graphics is such a sore point then why arent you out playing Unreal Tournament 2004 or something? Personally, I'd rather have solid gameplay over flashy visuals any day. And, like stated before, even if they dont update the models, the mod community can easily release their own. Whether or not the game will be released with old models really isnt an issue.

TigerRei said:
If graphics is such a sore point then why arent you out playing Unreal Tournament 2004 or something? Personally, I'd rather have solid gameplay over flashy visuals any day. And, like stated before, even if they dont update the models, the mod community can easily release their own. Whether or not the game will be released with old models really isnt an issue.

I've played UT2004. It's fun, yes, but my point is not that I ONLY care about visuals (even though I am very much into them) but that I want to play DoD with HL2 visuals. It's not about just making DoD look better, it's about making it look as good as HL2. I don't understand, they did it with CS:S, so why not DoD???

Why must someone pay more money for this? If anything, we would have to pay for CS:S becuase at least that was done right.

I like the old DoD, so I'm getting DoD:s. There's already enough reasons to get it. Sure the models aren't the greatest but we can hope they'll update them. I think that if you liked the first DoD, you'll like this one.

GRIMEY said:
Awesome, another Call of Duty.

Oh..stfu..

Day of defeat was one of the very first WO2 shooters to be around, and it's still the very best by imo.

On topic: I think the screens are 'good', enough for me to be excited about dod:s. All dod needs right now is better graphics and new maps now and then. I think we're getting just that, altough the graphics could be a bit better, looking at the source engine's capabilities. I do not think it looks bad AT ALL..

BTW: What's with the 'thanks, nice shot' lame voice commands? I'd never expected the dod team to put those type of voice commands in..just like in cod. It's so lame..just like war is a game where all soldiers walk around happy.. Imo they should have kept the old voice commands..wich were PERFECT .. and maybe just make them better quality.
That's really the only small thing I'm negative about right now, and could become a big thing because it could destroy the atmoshphere wich I like dod for.

Wow, I can't believe the ignorance that's been posted in this thread... and I've only read up until page 2.

Argyll said:
Wow, I can't believe the ignorance that's been posted in this thread... and I've only read up until page 2.

QFFE

I can't belive some of you, it's a beta and player models take a lot of man hours to get ready.

I'm sure you won't be missed if you have an attitude like "oh em gee, the player models don't look amazing yet i'm not gonna buy it"

DOD : S Cost about $1 for the silver package, and knowing valve and how how much after market support they put into their products i'm certain there will be updated player models and more maps.

Back