New Exclusive Half-Life 2 Media in PC Gamer

-_- look for it yourself or buy the damn magazine. I am sure the mods dont want you guys cluthering up this thread by scan request.

EVIL@ buy a £5 mag for 2 shots, hahahah stop smoking the wacky tabbacy.

Originally posted by Fenric1138
i hope your not saying Source has a limit on normal map sizes.. eg 256x256 max normal map size when used with a 512z512 texture map size, and so on like that, with the normal map always being lower res. That would be annoying and well yeah annoying :)

Wha? Naw, I was just saying that D3 seems to have deeper and more defined normal maps, not higher res ones.

Originally posted by southparksam
Ohh FFS, do you guys not realise that a game is not about the graphics??? Sure they help, but a game for the most part, is about the gameplay... The graphics in both of the games look kick arse... but it will be the gameplay which dictates which is better.

Can't aggree more. Why do you think people are still playing games 5 years old(Counter-strike)? I'm not anticipating anything spectacular about Doom3 since it doesn't look anything different than a highly detailed HL1. You run around pressing your mouse button till the creature stops moving. Also the shading in Doom3 is joke. The shadows look straight black. Thats rediculous no shadow is straight black any still life artist can tell you that(like me for one ={D). On the few HL2 screens that I've seen it does look more of a shade than a solid sillohette.

stop saying lol at the beginning of each post Ewok, thats just completely annoying but maybe only to me that feels that way.

bgesley426, that avatar is awesome. Where's it from?

Wibble wibble wibble.

post the pic or pics here I doubt everyone here lives in the US

wow doom3........thats the best damn plastic i have ever seen. i mean sure it looks realistic and even damn scary with all the features like dynamic lighting and incredible bumpmapping, but to be honest it looks like plastic. i know this case has been made before. my skin doesnt shine when light reflects off of it. but w/e i know that both games will be incredibly fun to play and all the graphics will just add to the excitement.

I post at a lot of forums, but I always come back to this one for the laughs. It's instigators and agitators like EvilEwok2.0 that make it such a treat to post here.

EvilWok2.0 has a right to post. He is minsinformed but it makes for some fun reading watching people get upset :) .

If Valve chooses to implement the quality seen in the outside part of their HDR vid into Half-Life2 along with other unseen features that Source has, then very few games will be able to match it. Doom3 could never match Half-Life2 in quality if it attempted to do large outdoor environments and have many players etc.. on screen because almost nobody could run the game properly. STALKER on the other hand, is an unknown since they have not shown much gameplay but it is looking rather good. Half-Life2 still has the most impressive characters as witnessed by the Half-Life2 G-man vid. Half-Life2 was supposed to have been released already, and their tech would be considered the best if they released it now. In 2004 that may not be the case but I am willing to bet they will improve the effects/graphics if it ships in April.

By the way I have seen much more ugly and questionnable screenshots of of Doom3 than Half-Life2. Some Doom3 screenshots are so bad you would think it was a 3 year old game. :D

argh finally they stopped the 'media blackout'... i was quiet all the time because there was nothing to talk about :(

this month's PC Gamer in North America is displayed at www.pcgamer.com
I've also seen the UK cover for November (www.pcgamer.co.uk), which also features Call of Duty as the main feature, but with different pictures.

where is this half life 2 november pcgamer?

Ok just to get this straight I live in New York City. I have apparently recieved the magazine early and I am the one who knows about the pics. This is the Holiday 2003 issue of the North America of the PC Gamer. It has a picture of Gordon Freeman on the cover. I am still debating whether there are three new pics. Because there is a very creepy picture of the G-Man with green eyes and I have never seen it before. I would post it but I don't have a scanner and it is illegal. Now Evil Ewok 2.0 please shut up. I am only 13 and I don't have an excellent quality scanner. PM me if you need anything more to talk to me about.

I don't believe Ewok really made any judgments on the scan quality, that was my doing. However, I wasn't saying it was god awful, just, it might skew your view on the quality of the shot a tad. That's all.

Theyre trying to rehype the product after the disaster. But im sad to say im just not feeling it much

Originally posted by Shuzer
I don't believe Ewok really made any judgments on the scan quality, that was my doing. However, I wasn't saying it was god awful, just, it might skew your view on the quality of the shot a tad. That's all.
Oh OK sorry Ewok. Accept my apologies.

It really is amazing how discourse can go on and on with little if anything being said. EE2 is just typing the exact thing over and over, and the same people come back and reply again and again. The joke is in the enervation.. why can't people see that? And if they can, why do they keep replying? EE pwned you all, EE2 is pwnering you all right now. His power is great, and you will bow before his might.

Am I the only one that thinks the upside down head spiders are cool... just like in the movie "The Thing". Have any of you seen the part where the head falls off, grows legs, and walks away? "You've got to be kidding!"

Ahh, good movie. Excellent movie. But why am I talking about a movie in support of a game that this site is not dedicated to? ... I'm confused too.

Originally posted by Weedums
Theyre trying to rehype the product after the disaster. But im sad to say im just not feeling it much

took the words right out of my mouth. its a pity but its the truth.

Vulcan: peoples issue is that its ripping off the movie. :D
Every game has some crappy screenshots, for one reason or another. Plenty of DOOM3 shots look underdone, as do lots of HL2 ones (the backwards shadow shot anyone?). But its downright idiot and condescending to make a judgement on a game based on screenshots alone.
As a side note I wouldn't mind being pmed the pics by a good samaritan.
Edit: What disaster? A delay and some bad customer relations? That seems to have happened for half the cool games coming out this fall. A setback, yes, a disaster most certainly not.

I am a bit confounded. Which issue is that that thou spakest of? The one with the soldier...eth? That one containsest not the slightest amounteth of Half-Life 2...eth.

I will have a hoard of angry ninjas come after you for this, whoever you are! Oh, yes. I will seek vengence...

"Media blackout has ended"

Hmm with 2 new shots, both of which are not all that great?

Yea.. they sure have ended there blackout! Prase Valve!

>_>

You know what I love? The screenshot TELLS YOU EVERYTHING!

YES IT DOES! IT DOESN'T MATTER IF IT'S NOT THE FINAL VERSION! SHUTTUP! YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING, I'M ALWAYS RIGHT! I DON'T CARE IF IT WASN'T ON MAX SETTINGS, IT DOESN'T SAY IT ISN'T!!!!

*rolls eyes* After glancing at the Source Demo and watching it 25 times over, I'd say it's fcuking real enough for most people.

And again, someone PM me the scans please? Or a link... Please :)

Would be cool if someone could send me the screenshots (or a link to them), since I can't get the PC GAMER here in Germany :(

qweston: can one actually PM images from their PC to another forum user?

@Kadayi Polokov: I cant wait untill games look that sexy :). I am sure it wont take long before you can use that quality in games. with the new shader techniques being developed etc.

Originally posted by Lil' Timmy
qweston: can one actually PM images from their PC to another forum user?
No. You can use a direct link.

Originally posted by EVIL
@Kadayi Polokov: I cant wait untill games look that sexy :). I am sure it wont take long before you can use that quality in games. with the new shader techniques being developed etc.

Likewise, but we probably won't see that level of rendering in realtime until the next generation of 3D engines emerge (the ones after Doom3, HL2 etc), and a further jump or two in graphics technology. I just linked that really to put a cap in the ass about all this million polygon talk. Even 250K Polygons is unnecessary and unfeasible for the purposes of creating viable and realistic models within a game.

Ok...I picked up the December issue of PC Gamer,the one with Call of Duty on the front,and there is NOTHING about HL2 in it!!!

I think the guy was referring to the Christmas American edition.

I finally got the magazine. One new screenshot of those buzzsaw things flying at the guys dressed in white. The machines are sort of flying down from some building on to them. It's horrible resolution.

That's about it. How anti-climatic!!

And something about a mod conference in 2004.

Help ?

This have been said for about 100 times allready, but i want them to, so if you have a link or the pic, plz pm me

thank you

Re: Help ?

Originally posted by MrH2o
This have been said for about 100 times allready, but i want them to, so if you have a link or the pic, plz pm me

thank you

probably closer to 251 times i bet ;)

Anyway, try google for it, or wait for a bit and the mag will likely put it out on the net at a far better resolution. The one from the mag is very low res and hard to make much out in it. It appears like its just one of those thumbnails most mags have in the corner or something. Your certainly not missing anything and it doesn't really show much as its just too small to pick out interesting things really

Back