New Mod idea

chu

Reaction score
Earlier this morning I thought of an new idea for a mod. My original mod idea was too typical so I am abandoning that.

The mod's basic premise is fun and destruction. It will be about two teams that are neighbors across the street from one another. It will have a "CTF' type game play, where each team is trying to steal a certain object from their neighbor.

The teams will have their own classes and will have to build different devices from random objects throughout the apartment. I really hope for the physics to come into play with this mod.

Right now it is in very early planning stage. I am looking for one or a couple people, who are interested, to help with planning it out and eventually getting it done. I can model, skin, some web design, and maybe some animating.

So, if your interested either PM here, email me, or catch me on AIM: chu mo fo.

If you're not interested atleast leave a comment to let me know what you think of the premise.

thanks

Yeah, this morning I was bored so I made this quick rendered scene. That's when I got the idea.

Render001.jpg

I like the idea, and i can see where your coming from as well. You could make stuff out of household items and then go launch them from a physics built slingshot on the roof or someting.

Good lcuck mate, sounds sweet:)

You could definatly go really far with this mod. I would sign up if I had any modding talents.

Good luck to you. :)

Thanks guys. For now I am just going to be writing some design doc's and doing some concept art. Maybe I'll even start giving my own neighbor some hell, ya know? a 'lil R&D.

If your in the UK watch those britian's worst neighbours shows on ITV. Should be plenty of idea's on there

removing their fences

building yours higher than you should and blocking their light

complaining about their garden being part of your land

playing music way too loud

inviting weirdo friends over with noisy cars

having obnoxious kids making a pest of themselves for your neighbours

owning a dog and teaching it to cr*p on their lawn

teaching your cats to bring dead birds to their door not yours

practicing DIY at 2:30 in the morning

practicing DIY and blowing out power on the street just when their favorite show/sport is on TV

dealing in drugs and having shady characters turning up at all hours

break into their house and steal stuff/eat from their fridge/wash your red socks with their white shirts

leave them "presents" on their doorstep

toilet paper their home

smash their mailbox / steal mail

keep kicking balls into their garden, "accidently" smashing the windows/greenhouse with rouge balls

calling the pizza guy and sending him to their house late at night

calling a fleet of taxis to their home in an "emergency" to pick up their family and relatives, again late at night

invite smiley smiley carol smiley over to redecorate their house while their on vacation, in the style of an egyptian tomb

change their locks while their out

sublet their home to vagrants

put their house on a timeshare for a bunch of germans to stay at and forget to tell the neighbours

that should keep you occupied for a bit, and remember, if anyone asks, it was the other couple next door that did it ;)

I love the idea!

You can throw things like chairs and tables on each other from the windows! :)

I want to map for this mod, but i dont know if i got time yet. Keep me updated about the mod though, i might do a map for it in the future.

Keep it up!

I need your opinions on few things:

For starters I am not sure whether the mod should have realistic violence or cartoon style. If it were cartoon style I would want it that your character wouldn't die but rather just knocked and thrown around a lot. Or make it realistic where there is blood and severed limbs.
Another thing. I am not sure if I would want 'crude' humor or to keep it clean. Say as crude as having humor relating to sex and feces, for example.

I am also thinking about another type of gameplay style where the object of the game is just to annoy and wreak havoc upon your neighbors. Each team will have an 'Annoyed Meter', first team to fully annoy the other team wins.

Let me know what you think...

hmm thats a hard one said the wife to her bit on the side.. I'd like both cartoonish and realistic. I think it would work well either way really.. The annoyed meter is good.. the meter has to be an ugly face that gradually gets madder and madder and redder until it explodes :D

The coolest part about the annoyed meter is you would be able to see it on every characters faces thanks to the HL2 facial animation features.

Originally posted by The Mullinator
The coolest part about the annoyed meter is you would be able to see it on every characters faces thanks to the HL2 facial animation features.

wicked! I didn't think of that haha that would be cool to see working. I wonder if it could go one step further, the more distraut and annoyed your neighbour gets, the worse he/she looks, putting on weight from comfort eating, losing their hair, wearing gradually less smart clothes until they end up fat, bald, in dirty shorts and string vest and unhelthy oily looking skin. That would be pretty cool :D

Here is another idea for gameplay:

The match starts, players spawn in their designated bases(house or apartment). There is a 5 minute timer that runs down. Players have to build weapons for personal use and or build modifications for their team vehicle (car, truck, or van). When the timer stops the garage door will open and team will have to race to a specified point in the map. There will be several locations in which they have to stop before they reach the final loacation, i.e liquor store, grocery store, etc.

There will be no on screen map for all players. Roads will actually have road signs with names of the road. Only one class will have a map and they will have to guide their team to the location. Along the way teams will battle it out in their vehicles while dodging other traffic and pedestrians.

If possible, this style of gameplay maps will generate random location points so that everytime you play it will be different.

Your thoughts?

tis a good idea

have the public in there too, and cars going about and stuff, make the roads a little more dangerous to cross with cards and bikes and big trucks wizzing past regularly, and get the police in there too, and people selling big issue that you need to avoid and gangs of kids blocking the doors to stores that you need to beat up to get past first ;)

Random little old ladies crossing the street that you have to stop for...or not.

I LOVE THIS IDEA

*sees himself strangling the hell out of the other team's kitty*

Could you have pets to help your mission? Say a guard dog to help stop intruders. Or a monkey that you send to cause some sort of mischief at the opposing teams house.

Don't forget to add a "do Yoga" function to lower your annoyance meter :)

---

and rethink the spawning feature, I suggest replacing the health bar with an insanity (per-player-annoyance) meter, if this bar is full, you don't die but suffer a nervous breakdown and get deported into mental hospital and have to stay there for a short amount of time...

hehe nobody will ever accuse you of programming violent and gory game mods any more :)

PS: perhaps one could add mental disfunctions when a players insanity reaches critical proportions, such as hallucinations (any kind, from sounds to screen-blurring) or nervous ticks (use that facial animation)

Originally posted by Konfuzzyus
Don't forget to add a "do Yoga" function to lower your annoyance meter :)

---

and rethink the spawning feature, I suggest replacing the health bar with an insanity (per-player-annoyance) meter, if this bar is full, you don't die but suffer a nervous breakdown and get deported into mental hospital and have to stay there for a short amount of time...

hehe nobody will ever accuse you of programming violent and gory game mods any more :)

PS: perhaps one could add mental disfunctions when a players insanity reaches critical proportions, such as hallucinations (any kind, from sounds to screen-blurring) or nervous ticks (use that facial animation)

lol good idea's :)

hey and while your in the loonybin the other player can raid your home and steal what they like ;)..... which is where guard dogs and home defences like mother-in-law, bastard child or family reunion will come in handy to protect your stuff :D

I don't really like the idea of putting a player out of the action. I would like them to stay in throughout the whole thing. The whole mental breakdown thing i do like though, hearing voices, hallucinating, etc.

Say you character gets really annoyed and he starts to hear the song "Tip toe through the toolips" as it gets louder, and LOUDER!!!
Then he starts to see hallucinations of purple bunny rabbits shouting profanity at him.

And instead of health packs there will be prozac pills.

Hrm..I am having second thoughts about persuing this mod. The only interest I have had is from you guys here, no one has shown any interest outside this forum.

Plus I have too many other things on my mind right now, this would just add to the clutter. But thanks anyways guys for you input.

its a shame if your going to drop the idea :( I guess it wont be the last mod in the works that'll be dropped before HL2 arrives though..

all the better for those that do follow through to the end, less competition from the rest of you bwahahaha.. sorry :D saying that, I think you should stick with it, its original and its nothing like anything I've in the works, so I'd be more than happy to see it appear.

Do as much as you can yourself, then take on people as and when you need them, avoid problems like some other mod teams are having with the too many cooks syndrome and everyone on those teams having equal share of idea's and complaining if they don't get used, or pinning the blame on concept art not being done or well insert whatever reason here :D

Thats how I intend to do it, take on board suggestions but thats it, if people start bitching I'll drop them in a second and find someone else, there's always a better artist/coder/modeler/skinner out there, just waiting for a chance to show off what they can do. It'll be my idea, my design, by my plans and I'll take people on to do a set thing thats already concepted, built etc. whatever. They'll be credited for what they do. Might sound unfair but they'll be treated right, wont be left not knowing what to do, and when their done their done and no hanging around wondering what happens next. Just my two cents as people don't often say on this forum :)

Anyway... I hope you change your mind mate, could have been a very original and interesting mod that may have stood out in the sea of CS type clones (and there must be hundreds out there cause all I see are models of the same old guns again and again)... course, let them do those mods, again - less competition *grins* oooh ain't I just evil sometimes lmao!

Well I am not necessarily dropping the idea entirely. Right now it's just on hold.

I still would like to see it get done, but right now my focus is on other things. I plan to expand my my knowledge in 3D/2D art since I did not finish college. I am ordering several books right now, and down the line I'd like to learn some coding. This way when I am hopefully ready to persue the mod I will have knowledge in most aspects of the design process.

Originally posted by chu
Well I am not necessarily dropping the idea entirely. Right now it's just on hold.

I still would like to see it get done, but right now my focus is on other things. I plan to expand my my knowledge in 3D/2D art since I did not finish college. I am ordering several books right now, and down the line I'd like to learn some coding. This way when I am hopefully ready to persue the mod I will have knowledge in most aspects of the design process.

okie well that sounds cool.. so long as its done one day :p hehe

Back