New Portal 2 Clip at the VGA's

icon6.png

Well, that was shit.

edit- just checked, it's on the VGA website and is exclusive to the USA. ****.

Shows off a bit of their personalities I guess. You can't really expect much from VGA reveals.

Well that was... weird. Sorta cool, but I want to see something on Chell.

Am I the only one who thinks this looks a bit too... Pixar? Sort of cartoonish almost. I dunno.

Yeah, I agree with you there Godron. I'll reserve my judgement until I play the game though.

It has nothing to do with the graphics. It's the overall style and personalities of these robots that just make it seem like Wall-E or something.

Vegeta is right, it has nothing to do with the graphics. Those trailers would have been made using Source Film Maker which, as we know, creates much higher videos than directly filming in-game ever could.

Yeah. Like, why do the robots have eyelids? Everything Valve have made in the past has been made in the context of the game's story, i.e., gunships have fins to steer with, the ships in Water Hazard are grounded because the Combine drained the canals, the thumpers outside Nova Prospekt scare the antlions off, walls and tunnels have collapsed because striders shot them. That's how they make the game feel believable; nothing feels like it's been put there expressly to make the game play a certain way, or build the player's relationship with a character or create a sense of foreboding or whatever. Things that are put there for those purposes (there are hundreds) are cleverly disguised, so the illusion isn't broken. I thought that whole sequence with the robots looked a bit contrived.

Or, maybe I just think it looks stupid.

Either way, I'm not massively worried. I've no doubts that the co-op gameplay itself will be fantastic.

Meh, Appature Science in and by itself was pretty contrived to start with if you ask me.
Let's not forget the personality spheres originate from Portal 1.

But yeah they might've taken it one step too far this time.... However we've yet to see how the plot turns out near the end of the single player...

Portal 1 was pretty innocent too at first glance remember, it's only in the later testing rooms that that the true magnitude of the situation starts to dawn upon you.

Am I the only one who thinks this looks a bit too... Pixar? Sort of cartoonish almost. I dunno.

Agreed. Those two robots are blatantly designed to be cute, in shape and gestures. I'd have preferred something less contrived and more realistic (as realistic a robot can be), but I can live with that.

Let me make a stupid example: Herbie in the classic "Love Bug" movies is realistic in being a sentient car: it moves by itself but it's a rigid car. In "Fully Loaded" they have gone too far: it blinks, it smiles with the front buffer and so on.

I think they're trying too hard to make it all wacky and zany, as opposed to the subtle dark humour of the first game.

Judging from the official co-op trailer, the cuteness of the two robots is balanced out with GLaDos' chilling personality.
(see my sig.)

I think there is a purpose for making these guys the way they are. Having these cute little guys being verbally (and otherwise) abused by GLaDOs could add more to her dark nature in much the same way that the player was made to hate GLaDOs for making them kill the companion cube. Aside from that, the coop bots need to be really likeable because that's the biggest thing they need to sell for this game.

Back